Someone do the research for me.

A: How much does it cost to buy a internet website?

B: Can someone do all the html for me?

A. Depends on how much money you wanna put down. Read some of this: http://www.life123.com/technology/internet/domain-name/buy-domain-names.shtml

B. Maybe. You could do it yourself, since HTML isn’t that hard to pick up and learn. But for more advanced stuff, either find someone willing or shell out some money.

Just curious, planning on making a website for something?

It can cost everything from nothing to several hundred ( a month; ) depending on what you want ( and consequently need. ) And if you pay, sure.

You may have to whore your site out to adware if you want a big site that’s lite on the wallet.

There are in fact some site hosters that’ll let you set up shop for free sufficed that you stay under the bandwidth limit under pain of paying out the ass (this option is about as dubious as the one above).

You don’t “buy” a piece of the Internet; it is a constant cost of a name, an address, and a server.

Technically, you are paying for an address already if you are paying your Internet bill and you’re paying for a server if you are paying your electricity bill (only if your computer supports being a server; Windows XP, Vista, Server…). Using these two are ideal for personal websites that aren’t meant to be viewed by heavy traffic, as most ISPs give you minimum upload speed (even cable) and would likely come to your house if you are causing a spike (I’ve had it happen on occasions).

A name is a route to an address. It is not required unless you want a pretty, simple way (example.com, mysite.example.com, …) to get to an ugly, complex address (127.123.213.231:8080…soon to be a8f3:f33:3615::efef:95:282). It is also convenient if you’re not paying for a static address, because your address would always be changing (most ISPs do this), whereas your name would not. Second-level domain names (RPGCLASSICS, GOOGLE,…) are leased at an annual rate that can be as low as USD 5 but as high as USD 35, partly based on the top-level domain name you choose; com, org, and net being more expensive than name, info, tv. Some registrars offer “free” second-level domains, but these require you use their servers which paste ads all over your site.

Alternately, a third-level domain name (agora on these forums) can be assigned by the owner of a second-level domain, so those can be obtained for free by some. DynDNS allows you to set-up a free third-level domain name at no cost. (WHATEVER.dyndns.org) Some home routers can automatically update DynDNS if your address changes to mimic having a static IP address at no cost. Very nice feature.

If a name is acquired, you’ll need an address with a server to direct it to. As I said earlier, this can be your already hooked up to the Internet PC–if it supports it (XP, Vista, Server), you can maintain it (note, security), and your ISP allows such a thing. Otherwise, you can pay a host provider monthly, as low as USD 5 for the minimal (GoDaddy.com), to give you an address and area to host your site on their servers.

I’ve used GoDaddy ($10 year for the name, $5 a month for hosting: $70 a year…can be upto $200 if you need more than 1,500 GB of bandwidth), I’ve used a PC-WindowsXP with DynDNS (free), I’ve used a personal server with a domain ($2000 one-time cost for the server, $10 a year for the name), and now I use dedicated servers ($20 a year for the name, $100 a year for SSL, $600 a month for the servers: $7,320 a year). Of course, there’s in betweens on all of these.

Seeing as you mention HTML, I’m guessing it is a personal website, so I’d recommend GoDaddy.com at $70 a year for a second-level domain (mywebsite.com) and hosting on their servers at 300 GB of bandwidth, 10 GB of space, 100 e-mail addresses, PHP, MySQL, Ruby, Python, .NET. They never let me down when I used them.

If all you need to do is host strictly HTML files, images, downloadables – no PHP/MySQL or server-side scripts – you could likely find free alternatives that don’t make your site an ad-whore.

I was just looking around for some info for a site that provides good hosting, this was super helpful. Thanks!