Some people are just backwards

My parents and I went to a sushi resturant today, for mothers day, and They told me one of the most scewed up things I’ve heatd in the last week. Apparently my dads business partner eats cooked sushi, and goes to a resturant for it. That just blew my mind. First that anyone would cook <i>Sushi</i> and second that there is a resturant that servs it. Why not just mix canned tuna and rice.:fungah:

This just really blows my mind.

Originally posted by Frameskip
[b]My parents and I went to a sushi resturant today, for mothers day, and They told me one of the most scewed up things I’ve heatd in the last week. Apparently my dads business partner eats cooked sushi, and goes to a resturant for it. That just blew my mind. First that anyone would cook <i>Sushi</i> and second that there is a resturant that servs it. Why not just mix canned tuna and rice.:fungah:

This just really blows my mind. [/b]

:fungah:
Some truly cannot see the beauty of true culinary art.

I’m not a sushi fan, but I gotta say, that’s a new low.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
:fungah:
Some truly cannot see the beauty of true culinary art.

that is true on more levels than i can count, and all 8,971,624 of them are pretty good points.

Well, there are some sushi rolls that are served sort-of cooked. However, I don’t think that’s what you’re really taking about here.

I’m not into nigiri or sashimi, but if that’s what’s being cooked that’s just plain wrong. :thud:

If they cook the fish, and stick it on a piece of rice, it’s not sushi anymore. It’s fish and rice. Big whoop. That’s called a “seafood restaurant.” Big difference, tastewise.

Man, I’ll admit I don’t like to try new foods out all that often, but the point of sushi is that it’s RAW FISH! Even I’D accept that idea and try it instead of bastardizing it!

Some restaurants just serve carrots wrapped inside seaweed and rice instead of raw fish. Much more appetizing, in my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
Some restaurants just serve carrots wrapped inside seaweed and rice instead of raw fish. Much more appetizing, in my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

Not just that. There are many kinds of vegetarian sushi; being someone who dislikes fish (although not the fact that it is raw) I eat these kinds regularly.

I’ve yet to go to an actual sushi bar, but i’ve been to various restaurants that sell it. I’ve had cooked sushi before, and it’s pretty ok, and there’s some sushi, such as the samurai roll that’s not fish; it’s shrimp. It all has to do with marketing. Some people don’t like the idea of eating raw fish, or even fish at all. These people, in the owners mind, need to buy things too. Give it thought.

But how does it taste? The sushi bars I go to usually serve a couple of cooked items like unagi. That is a bit of an abomination though, why not just call it fish, it’s not sushi rolls.

Technically, the word sushi just means “with vinegar” or something like that. The fact that everything we know as sushi is raw fish might just be a coincidence. Who knows, maybe there are kinds of sushi you only see in Japan that happen to be cooked?

Not that I’d try any of that. Blech! :thud:

Well some of the Sushi and Sashimi can be considered cooked since it’s been smoked or prepared in sake, and alcohol cooking is technically considered cooked.

What he’s probably referring to are Maki(s) (rolls), most of them are prepared with raw fish and sea food, but several are cooked, at least partly. All the rolls made using tempura have to be cooked otherwise the batter isn’t crunchy, there are also rolls made with chicken and that absolutely has to be cooked. There are also other maki(s) which are cook out of preference, the sushi place I usually go to has a house special called “l’enfer” (hell) it’s basically smoked salmon, crab, vegetables, rice, and spices battered in tempura and deep fired, it’s served hot with a lobster caviar sauce and it’s absolutely divine (pun intended).

So you see that cooked sushi isn’t that strange after all.

Cooked RAW fish? That just does not make any sense!

Although Dark Sand does have a point, it now depends on how they actually meant ‘cooked’

I don’t like fish, and I’ve never tried sushi, so I wouldn’t know how it tastes, but maybe cooked sushi has a unique flavour… I dunno.

Two words:

Norimaki! Inarizushi!

they just rock.

I love sushi… I do not love those FOOLS who decided that sushi should be cooked. >_<

I dunno, it jsut seems to defeat the point…

But I’ve never liked fish much anyway, much less raw fish.

I’ve never tried sushi… But cooking it really sounds like defeating the purpose, yeah.

I like sushi. In fact, I like it so much that I’m banned from the only place in town that serves it. They also serve it RAW!!!