Somber reflection on years past

(Note: This thread is NOT, no matter what some of you might think, an excuse to lambast certain people. I know some of you are gonna take offense cuz it’s what you do, but please don’t. I’m trying to be as fair and balanced as I can, if you’ll excuse the term.)

(Also note: Some of this stuff goes back a few months; if you haven’t been here all that long, you might wanna skip through, or not, and get a little history lesson).

It’s no big secret that a lot of things have been coming to a head lately. People’s tempers have been flared up to Sinistralian proportions…it’s somewhat hard to pinpoint when this trend began, although I’d place it around when the Orak Tumour thing began. Steve himself commented that the incident preety much shattered his trust in humanity (or at least RPGCanity) and left him a bitter individual. I myself found much to reflect on with much disdain; the actions of multiple staffers, some of whom I had known for some time and had thought better of, the alleged actions of Orak himself; his mental condition, and in turn, my own, and perhaps the thematic implications of us as a community and as a race. You can take from it what you will (although much of it also happened on the staff board, so not all of you saw the full story). But afterwards everyone’s personae just startedto head south.

The Manus thing, another string of incidents that one can’t look fondly upon. Initially when he joined, he kinda annoyed me, but I dismissed him as just another ToB-lodestoned newbie that, like some others, would pass. Unfortunately, I underestimated his potential to godmode, and never considered the effect it would have on others. Personally I found him slightly less irritating than the rest of the regulars did; he was ignorant and angst-ridden like nobody’s business, sure, but people weren’t always helping so much as they were harming the situation. As a result a lot of people got in trouble for inciting flame wars and pushing Manus over the limit a few times; perhaps a lot of things could have been prevented if he was contained and disciplined sooner, or perhaps his failure to learn from his mistakes made it inevitable.

Probably the thing around this time that impacted me the most was the Cala incident. I don’t really know why, but I’ve kinda sensed a kindred spirit in her. She’s not like most of the other girls at RPGC; she’s brash, unafraid to speak her opinion, doesn’t sugar-coat said opinions…she possesses some traits that we applaud when it suits us and condemn when we want to save face (more on that later). Perhaps that caused people to try and look for stuff wrong with her, to try to tarnish a person they couldn’t understand or didn’t like cuz they felt worse than her in their own eyes? And again, I see a couple people (whose names I won’t mention for decency’s sake) who I knew preety well and trusted break that trust right in front of my own eyes, seemingly without remorse, as they just tear apart the character of a person I had come to trust, then defend their seemingly inexonerable actions.

It also started a somewhat sad trend of people defending their actions by claiming they’re just “telling it like it is” or something equivalent. Now I admit that I rarely sugar coat things, but it’s usually in a fair and unprejudiced context; like, I’m not going to go easy on a newbie because it happens to be a girl, like some other people here might. Lately, though, it seems to be that a lot of people are just pulling it out as an excuse to tell someone an idiot because, in their eyes, they are. There is something to be said for brutal honesty, true, but there’s also something to be said for knowing how harsh one can and should be in any given situation, and really I don’t know if a lot of us here (perhaps myself included) have actually decuded that skill for themselves.

Which brings me to the Seph252/Uriel thing. I know, I know. He acts like an idiot. He’s overly grating. And I know you’re sick of me nagging you guys to lay the fuck off him. But the antagonism that I’ve seen lain against him (and I’ve been here since he’s joined, so I know what I’m talking about) isn’t entirely justified. It’s one thing to tell him off for impersonating Kagon in the chatroom, but a lot of you have nothing better to do than to lambast him for his…avatar?! It may not be artistic perfection, hell it may not be oekakki-worthy but it’s a fricking AVATAR. What I guess I’m trying to say is, some of you guys tried too hard to bring him down, looked for excuses to hate him more than you had to, and instead should have been trying to befriend him and improve his character, perhaps as well as your own, and maybe things woulda fallen into place. Yeah, it sounds corny and outlandish, but you might have been surprised. Besides, it worked for me. He’s threatened my life in the past, and I did so in kind. Now, look at me, I’m defending him. Me, no less. Draw your own conclusions, but try not to prejudge.

So why am I making a big deal out of all of this? Well, I’ve been here quite a while. RPGC was like the clique I never had. A lot of you guys have been more of a real friend than I’ve ever known irl. Mentally speaking, I have a personal stake in all of this. Seeing RPGC go down the tubes right in front of my eyes is something I can’t allow to happen, and I morally can’t allow it to happen, even if it means making a lot of big stinks over little stuffs and making enemies in the process. I couldn’t forgive myself if I did. So, to any ops I’ve pissed off because I’ve harragued over some injustice I chose to get Nazified over, I hope you didn’t take it personally. But again, RPGC is important to me, and I don’t simply let important things fall into disrepair.

So, to recap. We, as a people, I think we’ve allowed ourselves to let several episodes ruin our faith in each other, or at least our attitudes in general. I also think that some of the staff issues have gotten a bit…inmaturerer…if that’s even a word…and talking with Maz, I agree with him: Some things could use a change. But that’s a topic perhaps for another time. I just needed to get this all out. I’m sorry if I left important parts out or if I rambled on and made no sense. I haven’t gotten much sleep, I typed what came to mind, and I kinda had an agenda.

Good night, and may the gods have mercy upon you all.

Amen to that.

I think I can simplify most of that into one thought. People need to chill out. I mean, that includes both mods AND regulars. People need to, rather than just post their gut opinion instantly, think a little bit about common decency, and all that jazz. Cause there IS a real person behind the screenname.

And at the same time, we shouldn’t take things so seriously. In the words of Celes, don’t get mad, it’s just the internet. That’s the zig of things.

Like…I know it seems thankless, to have to do all this work to be nice, AND to be understanding to the people who aren’t doing that work…but it’s that spirit, truly, which accounts for some of the best things about this RPGClassics community, in my opinion.

Just my two cents worth. Kudos to you, X.

-Mazrim Taim

I blame myself.

Like Mazrim said, Everyone needs to calm the fuck down.

we need some kind of forum for current events, so we can get all the boring shit Sin and all the other old geezers like to talk about into a forum nobody will ever look at.

And the main forum needs to be allowed to have whatever threads it wants, as long as they arent ridiculously retarded.

Everyones forgotten the true meaning of RPGClassics

You know what? lets just, start over, from scratch, somone needs to bring back the vbulletein message board.

BTW, X, that was the finest post I have ever seen. Thank you.

So you’re saying its okay for YOU to be beligerant against intelligent people, but bad for ME to be beligerant against stupid people? j/k

Smallest spoiler text ever.

I don’t agree with you when you say that Cala is the only female who speaks her mind. In fact, she might not be a bad person, but I feel that she is the person who blurts out the big “controversy” to avoid the real issue (which means she would make a good politician). Also, who is to say that VickiMints and Astral do not speak their mind.

And then people will make statements of support, yet they won’t change anything, or they’ll change back within two weeks.

Not that this wasn’t a bad thing X, but I’m not on the optimistic side currently.

Originally posted by MegamanX2K
It also started a somewhat sad trend of people defending their actions by claiming they’re just “telling it like it is” or something equivalent. Now I admit that I rarely sugar coat things, but it’s usually in a fair and unprejudiced context; like, I’m not going to go easy on a newbie because it happens to be a girl, like some other people here might. Lately, though, it seems to be that a lot of people are just pulling it out as an excuse to tell someone an idiot because, in their eyes, they are. There is something to be said for brutal honesty, true, but there’s also something to be said for knowing how harsh one can and should be in any given situation, and really I don’t know if a lot of us here (perhaps myself included) have actually decuded that skill for themselves.

wipes a tear from his eye*

*not really

It’s the same thing as “A crusade is meaningless when everyone has one.” Brutal honesty is refreshing in an atmosphere of deception, but when everyone’s being brutally honest…by that time there’s no need for the “brutal” part.

Good on 'yer, X.

Dude that was the coolest thing ever. And know you didnt do it to for me to say that, but it was. I hate when people do what you were talking about, and I hate myself even more when I find out that I am doing it. Dude if you were in front of me right now I would shake your hand. You are a great great man. And I think the same way, I have only been in this forum a month or two, and I dont ever want to leave. This is about the coolest place I know, and the majority of the people here are even cooler. That is what I like about this forum, the people here accept you for you, they dont look into all the small little things that are wrong with you. Most of them dont judge, but there are few that will stay unamed, that I probaly dont even know about.

But dude kudos, that was some great writing. I just hope we can be friends.:cool:

…That sounded pretty good.

I remember when I came here… (6 days for two years of RPGCing)

I made that “Hi, I’m new”-post and plenty of folks replied, in a friendly manner since it was kind of new (I think), and thus I got that warm fuzzy feeling that “Hey, these dudes (and dudettes) are pretty cool!”, and then I got swept along.

Some bad came up now and then, but since I wasn’t part of them (probably never will be), I ignored them. looking at the present situation, maybe it was a good choice to stick to the sidelines…

And X, being blunt in this matter is good:

“If honesty is the best policy, why do people keep yelling at me!?”

Of course, I see no-one yelling at this… Yet?

Aww, thanks X. I mean that, too. I’m only blunt and brash about what I say is because I don’t know how to say it any better. I grew up in a family where we actually had discussions of world events during dinner, and everyone meant what they said. For me, I always believed in not dragging it out; you’re going to come to the same conclusion either way, and making it the blunt way makes your point and people don’t doze off in the middle of it.

And me in politics? Hell no. I can’t stand politics; I can get people on my side and believe whay I say, but I don’t want to get into politics.

I try to stay calm. However, it’s hard when some people are being complete idiots. It’s even worse when the people defending the person attacked are called complete idiots by the complete idiots.

X, that was well-put. You have my respect now.

Wow, reading that totally changed how I think of you. Yeah like gallo said, I respect you now. I salute you X.

And the day has finally come, where X is the voice of reason. Ah, I’ll miss the days when he was the angry, in-your-face guy with the hot temper, but alas those days are now behind us.

Well, maybe not entirely, but ya never know.

Anyway, I ain’t gonna comment much on what X talked about, mainly since I don’t pay much attention to the boards anymore, and I have no idea about ANY of these situations. But I USED to be in the loop, ages ago, back in the day.

Oh yes, back in MY day everyone on the boards respected each other, and we were always friendly, and everyone spelled properly, and ShaheenJim was our loyal servent ready to serve us drinks at our beck and call. And we worked harder then too, making at LEAST a dozen updates to the site a day. We weren’t lazy, oh no. Why we had to walk through 10 feet of snow, both ways, in order to get to the forums! And also… …

Um… I lost my place. It might be a LITTLE blown out of proportion, but you get the picture.

(y’know, Strago or Tellah should be a smilie here, for all us old folks who want to stick a ‘senile’ quote in our message:hahaha; )

CC, you disappoint me. That means she would be a successful politician, not a good one… neccessarily…

I can puts my thoughts into words…

X2K, you are my hero

Nice.

Originally posted by Mazrim Taim
Cause there IS a real person behind the screenname.

That’s exactly the reason I’ve changed. I was too freaking hyper over that kind of shit. I’m thinking a hell of a lot more about everything. I’ve changed a hell of a lot in a lot of ways, and I probably will avoid a lot more arguments.
I guess thanks for using me as an example, X. It didn’t shatter my faith in humanity though. Just in being nice to people online.
Very well done, though. I give you congrats ^^

touching. sorry if I’ve been a bit imature in the past. great soapbox speech.

The fact that there is someone behind the screen name is something that escapes us, me notably, quite often. The freedom to reach out and choke someone through my telephone wires is often times a undeniable offer.

A few years ago I made a post that said I would try to be more tolerant of other people, since at the time I had been flaming everyone for anything - literally. While I personally feel that I have upheld my end of the bargain (in the sense that I don’t just randomly blast people for no reason, you usually say or do something stupid.), I would like to ask everyone to post more responsibly. A lot of people here don’t, myself included somewhat often. Think about what you say, put thought into what you’re writing, not neccessarily to avoid conflict, but to just present a better image of yourself on the whole.

Pink_Lugia, your sig is way, way too long. Someone’s gonna ask you to shorten it.

Hmmm. Thanks for the reasoning, even though I have no idea of what the stuff you’re talking about. Heh heh… but, still, inspirational. Be a preacher.
“And, my brothers, you will be saved if you take Jesus into yer heart…”
But, seriously, nice.