So.....

You are one lucky bastard if that is your minimum. You obviously haven’t play games like Beyond the Beyond, Ephermal Fantasia, Evolution, Legend of Dragoon,
the Aidyn Chronoicles or something like that on the N64. Play one of those and you’ll quickly change your tune. Hell, those are just bottom of the barrel, those aren’t even ones that your taste might like or dislike one. Those are univarsally panned.

Also, is this really necessary? Many people here like FF7-FF9 and have played RPGs for a long time. Such as I have been playing RPGs since the NES and maybe a little before, I’ve been playing games since I was 2 or 3 so some of the early games are a bit blurry and I love FF7-FF9. Also, just the way you spell and use “n00b” just adds more unnecessary insults. To me it sort of discredits you. For one, you mention Xenogears which probably wouldn’t have been made if FF7 wasn’t such a success. FFT isn’t really an RPG, it is a strategy game. It has RPG elements, but is still a strategy game (a damn good one too). The way that you are talking, it sounds like you are onlya true RPGer if you play stuff before the PSX, or very early PSX, with FFT and Xenogears being the exceptions.

Who did that translation? A mentally challenged five year old kid?

i liked Beyond the Beyond !!

Hiryuu, children who were in orphanages at a young age often forget about it when they grow older. Theres a good chance they all wouldnt remember even without the GF memory stealing. The GF just helped speed up something that would have eventually happened.

Locke, i never played Suikoden, Lunar, or the Xenogears. Why cant someone just answer the man’s question ? He simply said “will someoen help me decide between 8 and 9” he didnt say “i want people to insult me, and reccomend games i’m not asking about because they are biased towards pixilated graphics.” You need to go watch Bambi for some life-lessons ! Just so you know, there are things known as “Races” in the FF games… that means, there are going to be a diverse selection of people, not just humans. Hell, do you think FF11 is bad for the female characters being overly sexed up ? looks at the bottom half of the hume female onion/manga gear without the top mm hmmmm.

GO. BUY. PLAY. NOW.

[STRIKE] Go back and play crappy sellout games for n00bs like VII-IX after you’ve played the good ones.[/STRIKE]

Just stirring the pot because I didn’t like those games, just my opinion! Nothing wrong with liking those titles. ::cough::

Answer: I’d play 8 before 9 if you’re planning on playing them all. Otherwise I would skip 8.

And yes, FF8 was the most painful title I ever played. I enjoyed Hydlide, and even Dragon Warrior 7 more. Playing FF8 was torture, but I couldn’t discuss it with any credibility if I didn’t finish…so I had to endure. Some titles really pick up later in the game after an abortion of a start (Grandia 1 comes to mind…Rah Rah Puffy!!! :thud: )

As you know, I’m quite a fan of XI. But if XI had rat girls, qu things, and muppets running around, I probably wouldn’t have made it past level 5. Well, Tarus are close, but probably more just midgets than muppets. I guess they could be a lot worse if they had wings or tails. Mithra tail = OK, cool race. Why an exception? Go here: Edit - can’t link to hentai here, sorry!

I like VIII’s story and characters, but I just couldn’t stand the Junctioning system.

IX’s got Vivi, an automatic win to me.

“are going to be a” i am so illiterate.

That is my point, the insult wasn’t necessary. It just creates bad feelings and a bad vibe and makes it hard for people to take what you are saying without it sounding mean. Like you said, you couldn’t speak about FF8 if you didn’t beat it. Similarly, you can’t jsut insult everyone and expect to maintain credibility.

Also, like I said, if FF8 was the worst game that you’ve ever played, you are fucking lucky.

I liked both 8 and 9. 8 I didn’t like at first , but then I started to really get into it so my vote go’s for 8.

I’ve finished about 50 console RPGs, and FF8 is without question the last of them I would ever replay.

Personally I think FF8, is one of the good ones of the series. Now I’m not saying it is without fault, since there are aspects that could be better, but the same is true for all games.

Ah well. Screw it all, I am going to play Tales of Eternia.

I totally agree.

Good man.

I wish I had that option.

Big Nutter
or a decent PC for FF111

Out of those 2 get 8 but out of the PS FF’s get Antholagies.

No I wouldn’t. The entire Orphanage dealio encompassed about 5 or 6 lines of text in the entire game. 4.5% was actually extremely generous. If I were being realistic I’d put it in the 0.01 - 0.02% range.

I can name two dozen other plots in the game just off the top of my head:

In no particular order:

• The Sorceress War
  • Esthar vs Galbadia conflicts
  • Squall’s Sister
  • The Lunatic Pandora/Lunar Cry
  • Edea inhereting Ultimecia’s magic
  • Laguna
  • Occupation of Timber
  • Cid/Martine/NORG building Garden.
  • Dr Odine/Ellone

Is this enough evidence for you, or am I gonna have to get into the dozens of plots that happen after the game actually begins? Most of these can even be split into 4 or 5 sub-plots, especially Laguna. And I’m not even mentioning the plot that takes up half the game on it’s own: Squall/Rinoa.

Face it, the whole Orphanage thing was NOT a huge part of the game, and yet it’s what every jackass bases his opinion of FF8 on, that and the Draw system.

Preach it, brudda, preach it.

Hades should be on Talk Radio.