So what was the big deal?

I just got done watching the “Saving Jessica Lynch” movie and NBC I think and I don’t ge tit. WTF was the big deal about the whole thing that it is still being talked about today? Heck, movies generally tend to over dramatize things, but this was much less impressive than what I had originally thought and heard from all the news and specials and what not. Heck, she didn’t even fire the weapon in the movie, she just handed it off and distributed her rounds. Then they all surrendered when they could have easily taken out many hodgies? WTF? Man, that story has just ebcome even more over blown, and I thought it was way over blown to begin with.

That’s the point. And it was made quite a few times, but it didn’t get passed along because it wasn’t popular.

The entire thing was used to entertain the lovely people of the US in order to generate some positive feelings about the war. Keep the people entertained and they’ll play along.

Her whole situation was so overdone, it’s criminal.

-_- Stupid people these days… makng a movie over something like that. my mom was excited though when she first heard about it though. I wasn’t.

What annoys me is I’m Canadian and my TV guide, which is also Canadian :P, was like “SHE IS A HERO FOR US ALL” when it was mentioning the movie. Sure she survived imprisonment and torture and all that rot but what did she do that was heroic? As far as I know, having not watched the movie, she did nothing heroic. The people who rescued here were the heroes, she was a victim.

Originally posted by Zombie_Ori
What annoys me is I’m Canadian and my TV guide, which is also Canadian :P, was like “SHE IS A HERO FOR US ALL” when it was mentioning the movie. Sure she survived imprisonment and torture and all that rot but what did she do that was heroic? As far as I know, having not watched the movie, she did nothing heroic. The people who rescued here were the heroes, she was a victim.

Not even that. From what I’ve heard from none media sources, the POWs in Iraq weren’t tortured or killed. In fact, any time you saw a dead American, they had already been killed in battle and the Iraqi’s amde it seem like they killed them after capture. I’ve even heard that the POSWs weren’t treated that badly in Iraq. Heck, according to the movie, she wasn’t even tortured. She was slapped when she didn’t answer questions a couple of times, but other than that nothing, In fact, the movie ahd Iraqi’s bring her food and water and take care of her. The hospital she was held in was a normal hospital, it wasn’t an Iraqi government compound. The whole thing about saving her before they cut off her leg thign wa blown up a bit. Her leg got infected and medicine not being anywhere as good as it is in America, amputation was the only option. So they were going to amputate it to prevent it from spreading throughout her body and eventually killing her. So in a way they reached her in time, but they make they make the doctors seem evil. The troops that rescued her are heroes since it was an urban conflict (which depending on how it is handled and the circumstances can have a 60%-80% casualty rating) and had she not been captured, they wouldn’t have to do something so dangerous. The Iraqi too just because his act was pretty selfless and dangerous. However, she didn’t do shit to deserve such attention. Then they go off and try to give titles like “Saving Private Lynch” and “Saving Jessica Lynch” to try to cash in a bit on the feelings for Spielberg’s “Saving Private Ryan”. The media is truly sick at times. I wouldn’t say that this is really her fault since she was captured and rescued. She didn’t say “put my story on TV” or anything, she was just happy to be saved sent back home.

As one messageboard I go to said, they needed a reason to help justify the war and out it in good light since it was so unpopular and she worked. She was captured early in the war, she’s young, white, thin, and good looking. She’s ideal for media and to be shown all over.

I think Info’s hit it squarely on the head there- the US propaganda machine must’ve thought it was its birthday when her story came through. :thud:

HELLO! WAG THE DOG!

For christ sake, it just screams it! She even has her own godamn song, like “Good Old Shoe” did.

I don’t believe she deserves all that recognition over everyone else. The media is forced to bend the rules for war’s sake, so…

It’s called propaganda.

Too bad she’s said herself that the situation was exaggurated, and exploited by the propaganda machine. That is what I have heard anyway.

Wasn’t there an Elizibeth Smart movie too?

Check out the Something Awful front page today, I think it handles the Jessica Lynch thing pretty well.