So I'm playing Super Metroid for the first time ever...

I like that scene just because in my mind I can hear Ripley sayin:"Awwwww isn’t that cute…BUT IS WRONG!!!
"

Super Metroid was frustrating for me. I’d get lost and turned around and have to go this really, really long and arduous path to get back to where I needed to be. I never finished the game, frankly, I doubt I got anywhere near. I had it for the Super Nintendo just before it was stolen.

Super Metroid is the one game that always creeped me out if I played it alone at night in the dark (when I was a young’un). Meridia in particular was so lonely, isolated, and alien that I had shivers down my spine going through it.

I always loved that part of the game since it was a really nice, soothing, and calm atmosphere and came right after the Wrecked Ship which was the part that always freaked me out as a child.

To me, Lower Norfair was always fist pumping action since at that point of the game you were pretty much at full power, and because of that it felt like the game was finally pulling out all the stops. Which brings me to the one thing that really pissed me off in Prime 1 was that Magmoor Caverns were so short that you had like three rooms of remixed Upper Norfair music then suddenly and completely out of nowhere the Lower Norfair remix starts whereas the Phazon Mines (the real pre-final area of the game) had almost no real music outside of the Priate’s Assault theme (whatever it was called) and some background noise.

Of course Prime 1’s idea of taking out all the stops was running out of scan points (and artifact hunting).

When you get the x-ray (?) scan and the room goes all dark while you’re being attacked, it is fun.

I thought the X-Ray room got dark when you shot or collided with those light bug thingies.

I hope it was the X-ray. I’m talking about M prime where you are on the top of a long cylindrical room and once you get the upgrade the room grows dark, space pirates attack you and there are a few little metroids that escape and try to chew your face.

edit: Yeah, that.

Silly me. I thought you were referring to Super Metroid’s X-Ray specs. MP1’s X-Ray specs are in a room that’s in a bigger room up in Tallon Overworld (you also have to fight Chozo Ghosts to get out). Its the Thermal Visor that is found in the pirate base where everything goes dark and Metroids come popping out of the woodwork.