So I just finished Dragon Quest VIII

I loved this game. It was so incredibly charming and I think it had a great world to explore.

I loved that you moved along paths as opposed to a world map. It made it feel like more of an adventure.

I didn’t feel like there was too much level grinding. The only level grinding I did was before you fight Dhoulmagus when he has changes into his winged form

Did anyone else find the brothel?

See, my definition of grind is a bit different from other people. In this game, I HATED the encounter rate. I was sick of so many enemy fights, and it got very tedious to me. THAT was my grind.

There were items that reduced the encounter rate, even if it was a bit tedious to pull open the menu (with the confusing at first button configurations) and pull one out. Stack that with the Hero’s Courage-skill that lowers encounter rates and you got a pretty smooth sail for a minute or two.

The brothel was pretty damn funny.
“VA-VA-VOOM”

So… did anyone ever answer “No” during the ending? I never could bring myself to do that. It’s like saying ‘No’ to Zelda in OoT when she asks for your help. It’s like kicking a puppy in the face. And I like puppies!

The brothel was indeed funny… but why did it have to involve slimes?? I’ll say it now: I don’t find the DQ Slimes cute. In fact, I find them annoying. I can’t believe people like them enough to give them their own games!

runs from the angry mob :stuck_out_tongue:

I think they’re cute. 8-(

I hated slimes ever since DW4, when a very bold Metal Slime refused to run away, but instead happily blasted away with Firebal (or was it Blaze? Whichever.) as my party flailed away at it miserably until we all died.

But anyway, I’ve been meaning to finish DQ8 someday, I’ve invested so much time in it and then gave up for some reason. (Boredom I guess.)

…there’s a brothel?

Not really. But the game tries very hard to make you think there’s one.

Marle + Lucca = Bulma

Oh indeed. But, I never said Marle and Lucca. I said Jessica. ;D (Also Jessica’s face more reminds me of Android 18 than Bulma, the eyes aren’t QUITE as wide)

Man this makes me want to play DQ8 again. It was such a good DQ. I actually don’t want them to go to the DS because of the care and detail that went into 8. I love the VA, the graphics were pretty and really caught the spirit of what DQ was supposed to be.

VA - VA - VOOM was awesome.

QFT!

Originally Posted by Seifer
[i]
Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
Man this makes me want to play DQ8 again. It was such a good DQ. I actually don’t want them to go to the DS because of the care and detail that went into 8. I love the VA, the graphics were pretty and really caught the spirit of what DQ was supposed to be.

VA - VA - VOOM was awesome.

QFT![/i][/QUOTE]

Seconded (especially when you see the VA - VA - VOOM scene while Jessica’s in her Bunneh costume)

I would also like to make the case that this game has the single greatest overworld ever seen in an RPG thus far.

But another reason for thinking about returning to Eight’s Quest for Dragons was to play a weaponless (i.e. fisticuffs) game.

Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez
Spoony: Speaking of Tension, I don’t think I ever got any of the characters to Level 100 in the game. In fact, in general I avoided using Tension; My characters had a tendency to get killed if I spent too long “charging” them up.

With the exception of a certain case, you will never need Tension though its rather useless until you get the Trimble of Tension. Once you get that though not only will Tension become much easier to use, but Tension is self can become a very powerful tool if used correctly (Not only does it power up a character’s strength but it also improves their defense, agility, and wisdom too. But the best part is that certain items (like the Sage’s Stone) can be powered up by a tensioned character without losing the charge).

[i]The brothel was indeed funny… but why did it have to involve slimes?? I’ll say it now: I don’t find the DQ Slimes cute. In fact, I find them annoying. I can’t believe people like them enough to give them their own games!

runs from the angry mob :p[/i]

I thought they looked more goofy than cute, but I still found the best brothel moment to be Hero’s face turned into a slime (kinda).

Yeah, how they focused every time on Jessica’s incredibly bouncy breasts was excellent, esp when she got pissed off about it.

Well, there is that whole thing about “Puff-Puff” being a boob-job innuendo…

“Jessica laughs triumphantly as she knows she has won the battle of the bulges.”

One of the only three reasons to ever go Sex Appeal with Jessica.

Please telll me another reason is the Hustle… whenever I make Jessica do it, I always want to get up and shake my booty myself, lol.