So how did YOU get into anime?

It was casually mentioned in a discussion once, and I didn’t know what it was. Thus, I set out to find out what it was and got versed into it.

Sailor Moon. I can remember the first time I cried when Derian got killed ( and revived)

I have always been into animation, and Japanese cartoons were translated into Spanish and brought here long before they caught the fancy of the American public. Of course, at first I had no idea many of these cartoons were supposed to be japanese. I think the first Anime series I watched was GO-KU which was a VERY wacky version of the Monkey King legend (on which Dragonball is also based, btw.) However, it wasn’t until MAZINGER Z, the first of the “Shogun Warriors” type robot shows aired here, that I became a true fan. In the 80’s I joined an Anime club by mail, and learned the full history behind the shows. In the 90’s there was a store renting Anime in a nearby city, so I visited it frequently. Sadly it closed not long ago, depriving me of the chance to see many modern series. Most of stuff I see these days is from TV (Cartoon Network and Tech TV) and the Internet.

i remember back in the day me and my dad would watch those old action cartoons so thats what got it started initially then one mornig when i was like 5 i was up at 5am for some reason and i saw DB and fell in love…had no idea what a storyline was but loved it anyways…then after that came sailor moon(im seeing a trend here) then DBZ then came gundam, then tenchi muyo…that came along when i was like 13 so…ya know…and i still like tenchi to this day…then it kinda went from therei think my first cult following anime was hellsing

well my first anime was sailor moon but that was a long time ago…i never really got into anime until i saw( i think) iether “kikaider” or “gundam wing” then i got hooked as if these shows were my freagin soap operas! and thats how i started getting addicted…* waiting for inuyasha and wolfs rain…fucking clock HURRY UP!!*

Seriously, I don’t remember which anime got me into the whole thing or what triggered me to want to keep watching it. I know that I started watching DBZ and smoon back in 3rd grade(I believe it took me awhile to realize that db and dbz were during different times of Goku’s life). Also that a bunch of guys thought I was so cool because I was a girl who liked dbz. I remember recording Ronin warriors back before it came on cartoon network. I think I missed the pokemon craze and got into it a year later when I found out I got wb. I think I’ve grown up on the stuff, my dad has always watched it around us as far as I know.

seriously my dad fricken rocks…without him cool cartoons would have not been awesome to me…syuff like fantastic four, the thing,spiderman,jonny quest, all those other crazy ones…

i like anime since i first saw Sailormoon and DBZ O.o;

I kept on watching fox kids then saw sailor moon and came adicted then because of my love of fighting i watched dragon ball z then i found out it was called anime.

Pokémon basically… Other than that… Digimon.

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned this already, but my first anime was Astroboy. Of course, I didn’t know it was anime at the time… Another common first anime in my area seems to be Kimba the White Lion, but I can’t remember watching it myself…

When Sailor Moon came out I was hooked on it. My sister found out about Ranma, and a place in town where we could rent it, and from there we both got into anime in general.

Astroboy wasn’t just anime, it was the FIRST anime ever. Yes, Kimba and Astro were good, it’s just that Ozamu Tezuka’s work was already very old when most of us where born.

I guess I should have specified the colour version that came on during the '80s? I’m not that old. :hahaha;

And I’d have to double check on this, but I believe that Astroboy was the first anime series or something. I’m pretty sure there were some shorts that came beforehand… Feel free to correct me on this though!

I guess it shouldn’t be so surprising to me that they weren’t mentioned, because the question is what got us into anime, while even I have to admit that while Astroboy was the first I watched, it wasn’t until I saw later things that I got into it.

Ya know who Jade reminds me of. Wil. It’s strange.

Well, I guess the first anime I’ve ever watched was this Japanized rendition of Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on video(which I’d like to find and watch again…nostalgically). But I guess the first time my eyes were really opened to what anime had to offer was when I stayed up late and watched Vampire Hunter D on HBO with my dad. See, he was a fan of anime at all, but he LOVED vampire flicks, so he was game. He didn’t like it so much, but I really enjoyed it(even though I was only about 8 years old at the time and wasn’t scared, surprisingly. Disney movies like Sleeping Beauty used to scare the bejesus outof me). And I’ve been a fan ever since.

I know I’m gonna get laughed at, but my first anime(which I’m kinda surprised no one has mentioned yet) was Speed Racer. As a young guy watching Speed racer, I had this strange obsession with Trixie(Speed’s Girlfriend). Second anime for me was DB. So I guess these little Kiddie animes kinda stuck with me. And then I didn’t watch anime for almost five years. Then I got back into it when I saw 3x3 eyes on TechTV. Too bad I don’t get TechTV in Colorado. So now I watch Lupin the 3rd. Which happens to be my favorite AS anime. (now) It was Kikaider for the short time it was shown. Case Closed is also cool, too.

Did the Mach 5 driver (His name changes in each dub, in mine he was called Meteor) EVER find out that the guy with the X mask was his brother?

surprised finally someone said kikaider. :victoly: i was starting to think that i was the only one who watched it :thud:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…I think the first anime I really watched was Sailor Moon, back when I was 11 or 12; I’d watch it sometimes before I went to school. Nothing that big, though.

I really started to get into anime around 9th or 10th grade, with Gundam Wing. I fell in love with that series, and it was the first one I got. I also rented several of those “Youth Restricted Viewing” vhs anime tapes at Blockbuster, because, ya know, the were “Youth Restricted Viewing!” I was a rebel. I’ve gotten more into anime as the years have gone by, and I have a fairly sturdy DVD and manga collection. And, with my position as anime club president, I’m free to abuse my authority by “borrowing” everyone else’s stuff. ^^/

Although, now that I think about it, I do kinda miss those early days, when I watched those low-quality animation, bad English dub anime movies that I rented from Blockbuster. It was like a whole new cool thing to me back then, with so much possibility. Ah well.

My friends got me into it. They always were talking about it so I checked out an episode of Cowboy Bebop and it was really good. SO… there ya have it =P