snes/psx rpg recommendations

hey guys, i’ve been playing some of these old rpgs and was looking for advice on where to go next. (also, thanks for these great walkthroughs :cool:) so far i’ve enjoyed chrono trigger, zelda: link to the past, and ff7 but disliked chrono cross and ff5. i also liked earthbound, but it didn’t really match up to, say, chrono trigger.

anyway, i guess the most important things for me are good visuals and good story, which i think is the reason i couldn’t get into chrono cross even though it had good fighting and build systems. so based on that, can you guys give me any recommendations?

You might try the Legend of the Dragoon PSX

There are almost too many to count. My recommendations:
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics (though you may want the PSP re-release instead; the story is much better)
Illusion of Gaia
Parasite Eve
Star Ocean 2 (again, maybe get the PSP remake)
Super Mario RPG
Tales of Eternia / Tales of Destiny 2
Terranigma
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears

I’d put one or more Wild ARMs games, but the first game (which had the best story) has very dated graphics now, and the second game has a godawful translation. All the rest are on PS2.

There are almost too many to count. My recommendations:
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics (though you may want the PSP re-release instead; the story is much better)
Illusion of Gaia
Parasite Eve
Star Ocean 2 (again, maybe get the PSP remake)
Super Mario RPG
Tales of Eternia / Tales of Destiny 2
Terranigma
Threads of Fate
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears

I’d put one or more Wild ARMs games, but the first game (which had the best story) has very dated graphics now, and the second game has a godawful translation. All the rest are on PS2.

Legend of Legaia
Vanguard Bandits

Above all else, play FF6. FF4 has fairly simple graphics, but a very compelling story. And for something less mainstream, try Shadowrun (the 1993 SNES RPG).

DQ 7 (graphics looked dated and slowest DQ game but has an excellent series of stories even though it is hard to find these days).
Secret of Mana (story sucks but excellent environments and decent graphics).
Legend of Mana (gameplay sucks but has three excellent storylines and beautiful 2D graphics).
Megaman Legends 1 and 2 (visuals are alright and story’s good just don’t expect an ending anytime soon).
Suikodens 1 and 2 (never played but I’ve heard that they have an excellent storyline even though they’re impossible to find for the PSX).
Tactics Ogre (it’s FFT before FFT though it’s difficult to find and lacks FFT’s deep character customization system).
Lufia 2 (story’s kinda straight forward but has excellent puzzles and good graphics).

Other recommendations have either been listed, couldn’t be remembered, or I haven’t played yet.

I wouldn’t call FF4’s story compelling. It was charmingly simple, but it’s not a game I’d play if I wanted something with really robust story and characterization. And if he didn’t like FF5… He probably won’t like 4.

FF6 is obvious though. Get it for SNES if you can. The PSX version is exactly the same, but has massive load times.

Secret of Evermore is the most underrated SNES RPG ever made.

Secret of Mana is really good too. It’s not related to SoE though, in spite of the name. The only thing they share is the aRPG style. In my opinion, Evermore is much better.

I’m gonna go ahead and say Wild Arms. Cid’s right that it has really dated graphics, but it’s no worse than A Link to The Past. It takes place in a wild west setting though, and I know RPG fans are usually all about swords and castles and shit, so if you don’t like wild west, don’t play it.

Suikoden I and II are great if you like games with lots of characters who aren’t very developed, and a plot that is. The gameplay will probably force you to think harder than most other rpgs too, but it isn’t Starcraft or anything. They really have a lot more charm than a written description will have you believe.

If I think of others, I’ll put them down.

Edit: Damn, killmore beat me to a lot of my suggestions :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, playing Chrono Cross is like taking a shit, eating it, shitting it back out, eating that shit, puking it up, shitting on the puke, and re-eating the shit-puke. Don’t feel bad for not liking it.

Lufia II

Persona 2: IS/EP
Tales of Phantasia (PSX)

Had to list P2 just to due to the craziness of the story: Fighting Hitler and Nazis in IS. Craziness.
Anything else, I can’t think of or is already listed. And I’m aware that some of these can’t be played through normal means. (Can’t help that some good games are fan-translated!)

hey guys, thanks for the great response. how am i going to get any work done if i play all these? :smiley:

i’ll definitely try out ff6 and maybe work up to vagrant story and parasite eve. those are just the ones that jumped out at me though; i haven’t really had a chance to go through the list thoroughly. also, i forgot to mention that i did try shadowrun but got turned off by the interface after 15 minutes. i guess i’m softcore. :confused:

and hades, thanks for backing me up on CC. toward the end of the game i realized that i’d spent the entire time expecting it to get good at any minute. reminded me of halo 2.

Another vote for Terranigma on the action/rpg side of things. The gameplay is robust and the story provides nice dressing to keep you going.

You’re crazy, Halo 2 rocked.

All of the Halo games have been pretty generic imo. The only two shooters I’ve seen with good unique features are SW Battlefront and The Darkness. Once you get used to the new visual cues, Halo’s gameplay is no different from any other formula shooter. It’s good, but it doesn’t have any real definition as a game.

Live-A-Live

Live-A-Live is enjoyable, but not everyone will like it. The gameplay is quite uneven, especially towards the end-game. I really like it, though. shrugs

The only part I really hated was the chapter with Cube, to be honest. You should play it for the ninja chapter, though. Multiple times. <_<

In my defense, I’m biased since I sunk probably a hundred hours into that patch’s development, but I agree with you for the most part. Cube’s wasn’t that bad, though. The only chapter I didn’t really care for was the wrestler’s. The rest were pretty good, I thought.

The ninja chapter is awesome. And can be done without killing anyone, I believe.

Sure, you’re so underleveled it HURTS for the last chapter, but you can just not take the ninja, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d just like to say that I’ve changed my mind about Cube’s chapter. I recently replayed it, and I enjoyed it a lot. I guess a lot can change about someone’s opinion in three years. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also just noticed Cidolfas’ name in the Kung Fu chapter. I can’t believe I didn’t before, but I don’t normally pay attention to credits. <_<;

If you’re looking for good stories, then yeah, Final Fantasy 6 is pretty much where it’s at for SNES.

For Playstation, FF7 is good, as you said. The only other storylines I think were top notch from Playstation games were probably the Lunar games and Suikoden 2.