SMRPG Hacking

Ok, Im not sure if these are the right forums so please don’t flame me if they’re not.

I read the hacking guide for SMRPG and I’m having trouble understanding it. I downloaded hex editor and opened a save state. It says for equipped weapon I should look for the offset 2041F, I cannot find this offset. Can anyone walk me through how to find the offsets? I can find 2041 but it is not in the F column.

Thanks in advance and once again sorry if this is the wrong forums.

Are you using Zsnes? If so, it’s got its own built-in hacking tool (which is probably easier to use), so it’s probably easier to adjust values like money to buy the stuff you want.

Yes, I am using Zsnes but I am not trying to edit the amount of money I have, and unfortunately these items cannot be purchased.

I see.

Anyway, basically “offset” is a way of describing the position of the data you’re interested in. It’s in the format of line, column. The last digit always describes the column: it can be from 0 to F (it goes 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E - 0 is the 1st column, 1 is the 2nd column, A is the 11th column, etc.)

So 2041F means line 2041, column F (which is the 16th column)

If you’re using hexedit, it should tell you the offset on the top right I believe. When you’ve highlighted the correct offset, change the value at the offset to the one corresponding to the weapon you want.

I’m using Hex Workshop, when I go to offset 2041 I end up in column D. I don’t understand how I am meant to get to line 2041(unless its something silly like counting to 2041)

Actually, try this instead. I looked at a screenshot of Hex Workshop and it presents everything in nice rows of 24 bytes. Search for the offset location “0002041F” instead. Change the two numbers there to the value for the weapon. Ignore anything you heard about the columns and rows - it only works if the editor does 12 bytes per line. Anyway, Hex Workshop should look something like this (instead of 0’s, your file will of course have actual numbers and letters):

00020418 | 0000 0000 0000 00<b>xx</b> | 0000 0000 0000 0000 | 0000 0000 0000 0000 | 0000 0000 0000 0000

The ones I marked with "x"s should be position 0002041F.

Haha, someday I should probably re-write those confusing “how to hack” pages on my shrines. I think ShaheenJim actually wrote the first couple, but then I got lazy and just kept using his same format after that…

Actually, for $2041F to be row $2041, the hex editor would need to be 16 bytes per line, not 12.

Also, if you’re using WindHex, it will detect ZSNES save states and automatically hide the first… $C13 (I think it was) bytes (since that is emulator info and not RAM (main/video/sound).

So, you’d need to subtract that much from the hex offset.