sky render's ff 6 translation

k, i’m switching back to the woolsey version :slight_smile:

Having recently tried the advance version, I’d have to say that the matter of which one is “better” would be highly subjective.

Except in the case of the Opera. The GBA’s take on that is unambiguously an improvement. I mean, it actually scans. Beautiful.

I didn’t say it was better, and I haven’t even played it. I was just saying, the GBA translation sounds like it might be close to what he described.

Originally Posted by GG Crono
[i]Having recently tried the advance version, I’d have to say that the matter of which one is “better” would be highly subjective.

Except in the case of the Opera. The GBA’s take on that is unambiguously an improvement. I mean, it actually scans. Beautiful. [/i]

Yeah but in that case you have to deal with the highly ineffectual speakers and frankly I prefer the sound over the dialog.

I haven’t seen the fantranslation of FF6 but I’m in favor of “Woolseyism”.
If the line doesn’t work, make a new one that does.
I don’t care about whether or not it doesn’t fit the original creator’s idea, because it was already lost in translation. So why should I settle for a translated joke that doesn’t work when I could have a different one that DOES work?

(And TV-Tropes rule! :wink:

I disagree with the Wikipedia comparison, though. Wikipedia is (or at least tries to be) an encyclopedia, with fact checking and proper references, while TV-Tropes is about showing and, to a certain point, duscussing widely used ideas and settings in entertainment.
The only thing they really have in common is that they are both wiki-based.)

Sorry I got foamy blood on you.

Shit happens :stuck_out_tongue:

The GBA translation did a good job of keeping the best lines while improving on the dialogue that needed improvement. And yes, the opera scene was FAR better.