Sin City- April 1st

Now that I’ve seen this movie, I’m going to get comics. Definately see this if you like film noir.

Absolutely brilliant use of color. My god that was excellent cinematography. And the framing for the shots just screamed comic book.

Few movies these days make me actually reflect on violence and consider what it is or what it means. With very few exceptions, this movie kept me conscious of what harm was being done to characters.

And let me tell you, this movie is beautifully gritty. There are so few untarnished moments in this movie, that what little purity can actually be found becomes all the more exquisite.

If all you want is violence and action, you can find it in Sin City, but you will be missing most of what the movie is about. The violence is only the setting.

If you have any appreciation for film noir or, comic books, or cinematography you should see this movie.

merlin, ever consider of a career in movie making?

3 words:

BEST
MOVIE
EVER

Most comic book movies failed because they tried to focus on the powers and action, and not the personality and the background of the characters. I think this is where Sin City might prevail.

If you don’t get it, look at the Spiderman movies. Its was more following Peter’s life than just throwing random spidey stunts all over.

Yep, Sin City had one thing that really got me. The characters. I mean, the action was cool, but the way they told the story. And the overly melo-dramatic B&W detective film style played out really well. People say it was alot like (and better than) the comic itself. I’ve never read Sin City so I can’t accurately judge, but the movie was certainly impressive.

Elijah Wood was hot, even with his stumps. I’de hit it…
But seriously that was a good movie, maybe it was the grotesque violence? But on top of a great story it was really good, I want to go out and get the graphic novel now… local bookstores put it out so I’m going to look into that.

You know what was gross?

Bare handed nut ripping

The whole theatre went “WAhhhhh” when that happened.

Also, “Heyyy” when the dude got shot with the arrow… Man, I still crack up to that.

Fucking hell that movie kicked ASS.

I loved the storyline, greatly enjoyed the cinematography, and fucking loved every little other bit of it, especially tarentino’s scene.

It was a prety good movie. I can never get too into film noir because to me, it always comes off as being cheesy. I really liked how they tied in all the characters to each other. At the end of the movie, who Nancy is was just fun to figure out.

Just got back from seeing it.

Awesome.

listen, I scout movies, that’s what I do.

Most people have captured what’s great about it. What makes the movie really stand out for me though is the theme I get from it. That we live in a bad, nasty, world where those in charge are really screwing with us, and if you think you’re a genuinely good person, you’re probably lying to yourself. But, it’s still possible to do something the right way now and again, even if it’s only one thing and even if it may kill you. Marv can give meaning to his and Goldie’s life, Dwight can fix the mess he’s put those girls in and help preserve their independence, and Hartigan can tie that last loose end. There are lots of other themes and stuff to look at, too of course, that’s just the one I pluck out.

And of course the filming is spectacular. They consciously use Miller’s comics to set up the shots, and he has such a great eye for gritty visual setups. The black and white was so lush, when the director says they’re using grey as a color and not just as filler shading you can really see their attention-to-detail. And the use of color is amazing, my personal favorite is that Miho flashes in color every time lightning strikes.

What did you guys think of the performances? I thought they were extremely solid all the way around, even for Brittany Murphy and Jessica Alba. I especially like Benicio Del Toro’s performance, Jackie Boy is probably the best creep I’ve ever seen in a movie.

Elijah Wood plays a very convincing psychopath, I must say. I swear, that smile is going to haunt my nightmares forever…

I thought the movie was great,one of the best I have seen in a few months,and not just for the violence,but for the different themes it had in it,plus I thought the visual style of the movie was brilliant.

Probably the best movie I have seen in a while. Anyone else think that Bruce Willis was perfect as Hartigan? I couldn’t imagine anyone else doing a better job.

I think I would have liked Bruce Campbell better in the role of Hartigan. It would have been… somehow better.

It was a good, if not at times disturbing movie.

It was so…depressing.Every main character who was reasonably good died. It’s like the characters WANTED to do the right thing, but screwed their lives up in the process.
One last question:

I don’t understand the ending, I only saw a small part of the beginning with Josh Hartnett…did it connect with that? It seemed kind of…out of place.

So yummy. Lucille makes me wish I was straight. ohgod♥

:kissy:

The ending:

Well, in the beginning, it shows how he is just a hitman, but he has compassion for his victims. He gives them a last smoke, and hope. Then he kills them.

everyone go see this!