Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Alright, there are few things that trigger my nerd rage, and this is one of those things. Prepare to see Trilly flip out over something, not unlike a grievously insulted ninja.

http://wii.ign.com/objects/143/14325477.html

They ‘reinvented’ the first Silent Hill game. For the Wii. Initially, I was happy. Shiny new graphics for a PSX classic? Hell yeah! I might even GET a Wii just to play the damn thing. But I should have known. A good survival horror game on a Nintendo product is just too good to be true.

But wait, no weapons? Wait, wait, no COMBAT AT ALL? Or health drinks? Harry Mason is a whiny emo bitch? The monsters aren’t vague biomorphic freakish nightmares? Dahlia is a 20-year old hooker now? A cellphone instead of the broken radio? No more grungy, blood-splattered industrial hell ambiance? Ice?? Friggin’ ICE? Seriously??? WTF, KONAMI? I’m surprised they didn’t axe Akira Yamaoka in favor of Danny Elfman, or someshit! ಠ_ಠ

HEY! HEY! Hey hey hey hey! You don’t insult Jack Skellington like that, missy!

It’s genius!

I actually LIKE the idea of no combat. It places more emphasis on the “survival” part of the genre, and if done well can add to the difficulty and general scariness of the game. Especially after Homecoming turned the series into an all-out fight fest.

Not sold on the other changes, though.

I am not surprised, really. Like everything that goes on long enough, Silent hill was bound to become shit.

[Gunslinger’s take on entropy]

As t approaches infinity, everything converges to shit

I don’t see a problem with that at all. Your character should be completely worthless in a situation where they need to defend themselves. Otherwise, you’re taking the words “survival” and “horror” out of the survival horror genre.

Just noticed: LoD. Awesome.

Almost worthless. Otherwise you lose the motivation to hoard stuff (and the hope you may just survive a labyrinthine house with a handful of bullets).