Shittiest. Class. Ever.

I just need to vent my anger, so here it goes.

In math today, our teacher handed back our quiz from a few days ago. The quiz had been ten questions (probably the smallest math quiz I’ve ever gotten), and our teacher always told us that quizzes affected 10% of our grade and small quizzes even less, while actual tests affected at least 50% of our grade. I even ASKED him, and he TOLD me that the most I could lose from my average was ten points from a small quiz. My current grade in math was a 96. So, I got my quiz back, and I got a 56. I was disappointed, sure, but what I’m really pissed about is what happened next. I went to look at my average, and it had suddenly dropped to a 68. I asked him why my average had lost 26 points, and he told me he had suddenly decided AFTER we took the quiz to make it count as somewhere around 40% of our average. So, because of his idiotic grading, I lost 26 FUCKING POINTS from my FINAL average over what is probably the SMALLEST quiz I’ve ever gotten.

…Yeah, just felt like making one of those ranting threads, since I don’t have much else to do at the moment.

heap of foul words

What the hell?! That was really dirty! Yoou should file a complaint!

Same thing has happened to me many times. Well only in Biology because my teacher has the mental capacity of a gold fish. He lost three of my tests! Not one, not two, but three! Dammit, I really hate my biology teacher…

Well that really sucks! I hate teachers like that, although personally I have none like that, but my friends have probably the craziest/worsest Maths teacher ever!

Not only does he talk to himself, but he oftens get the answers wrong, which my friends correct him on! Not that is really lame!

Did your teacher pass out a syllabus containing his grading policies? If he did, and then suddenly changed it… I’m not sure if he can really do that. Maybe you could take it up with the dean… or argue it with your prof.

I don’t think he’s in college.

Maths sucks. Full stop.

I got about 46% in the end of year exam last year, and my parents went ballistic, banning me from all phone and computer for about 3 weeks. Now they tell me if my marks aren’t better this year, they won’t let me stay on at school (which I gotta do, cause I wanna go to uni to study english). Damn parents…stupid maths!

Ironic, a maths teacher not understanding the laws of averages :thud: I personally liked maths, Mechanics especially (even though I wasn’t that good at it) but if that happened to me I’d fly up the wall faster than a rocket-propelled spider :hyperven:

Originally posted by Lady Shadowz
[b]Maths sucks. Full stop.

I got about 46% in the end of year exam last year, and my parents went ballistic, banning me from all phone and computer for about 3 weeks. Now they tell me if my marks aren’t better this year, they won’t let me stay on at school (which I gotta do, cause I wanna go to uni to study english). Damn parents…stupid maths! [/b]

Haaaate… Haaaate… HATE!

Wow, that sucks. O_o

This may just be my personal experience, but pretty much so 99.9% of mathematics teachers are either sadists or teach their criteria in such a way that it makes everyone go ‘huh?’

Originally posted by Astral
Did your teacher pass out a syllabus containing his grading policies? If he did, and then suddenly changed it… I’m not sure if he can really do that. Maybe you could take it up with the dean… or argue it with your prof.

Well, he usually tells us that small quizzes account for less than 10% of our average. He told us that in the beginning of the year, too. It’s not likely I can do much about it, but I’ll see what I can.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana

Nope. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ugh.The marking systems are always frigged up.Either way I would’ve killed to get a 68 in math…but that’s not fair.A small quiz like that shouldnt make that much of a difference…you’ve got some material to complain to the schoolboard.

Well, actually, there might be something you can do. If you receive progress reports at your school, your teacher cannot change any grades from before the last one your received. This means that if you got an A on your last progress report, and he went back and increased the worth of the quizes (or anything else for that matter) <em>after</em> he sent you the progress report, you can make a case with the school to get your grade changed, and probably get it changed too. Of course, this is all naught if it’s only a recent change within the last week or so.

Edit: Also, I know at my High School most the teachers offer syllabuses at the beggining of the year. If your teacher gave you one, pull that out.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana

…Oops. ^_^;

oh, but like GM said… you should still have gotten a syllabus. In my apes (ap environ. sci.) class we used to pull that out all the time, 'cause we switched teachers, and we wanted to force the grading scale on the new one. ^^; (it worked too)

Originally posted by Trillian
[b]Wow, that sucks. O_o

This may just be my personal experience, but pretty much so 99.9% of mathematics teachers are either sadists or teach their criteria in such a way that it makes everyone go ‘huh?’ [/b]
Yep, my Pre-Calc teacher is a sadist, and actually at the beginning of the year he called himself a “Evil Sadist Bastard”. He wasn’t lying.

When unhappy, stop the pointless bitching and do something about it for fuck sake. Jesus christ, just go see the damn principal and make a god damn complaint. Its not that freakin’ hard. Get a petition going. If the guy passed out a syllabus (they did in my HS) , you can use it against him too. Nothing scares the shit out of principals like potential law suits and angry parents.

Sin is right, just do something about it, whining will never do you any good.

Originally posted by Sinistral
When unhappy, stop the pointless bitching and do something about it for fuck sake. Jesus christ, just go see the damn principal and make a god damn complaint. Its not that freakin’ hard. Get a petition going. If the guy passed out a syllabus (they did in my HS) , you can use it against him too. Nothing scares the shit out of principals like potential law suits and angry parents.

1. I just did today. I would have yeseterday, but I had an obligation.

2. I had a beyond shitty week, and I just needed to vent my anger a bit. This may offend you, but I don’t see your reason to react in the angry manner that you did.

I eat teachers.

Having to moderate mb’s where pacifists continuously bitch about their problems and do little (or show little indication) as well as have to interact with certain (glares) individuals that ignore reason and the advice they request makes others angry.