Sexy News of Sexiness

Well, I’m not sure how MOST people go about delving into areas of their art that are out of their element, but if I wanna learn to write a genre of music that I’ve never tried before, I just look for something in the genre I wanna emulate, and do it. My suggestion would be to go with a type of humour or writing style that you like (I imagine that wouldn’t be hard for you, since you’re a writer :P), and then find a type of music you like, and go with it.

but, SERIOUSLY…if you ever want to do this, let - me - know. I’m all kindsa down for that.

Congratulations. And it was also good that you changed your play’s title, it’s spelled “cultura”, not “coltura”.

edit: nihil

Ren: It was Italian, not Spanish. Also (call me paranoid) I’d rather not post anything that I want to publish online anywhere. I’m really sorry, but I’ve talked to a professor of mine about such things, and they recommend against it.

SG: I’m not really going to be that into it right now, as I’m in the final crunch to graduate (I have to write a thirty page story, finish my play, write a chapter in a graphic novel, write essays on philosophy, and write about Native American literature), but I’m going to look at some of my favorite musicals and contemplate what musical project I could be interested in. I’m also going to figure out what page length a musical is, and what format it should be written in. I might futz around with some song ideas in the meantime, though. Is there a musical style that you DON’T like to write in?

Hiryuu: I don’t know how much money I’m going to get. Last year (for nonfiction) it was $250. I’m not sure how much I’ll get, but I hope to get enough to take my girlfriend and I to Outback Steakhouse, at least. Maybe then I’ll buy some games for my Wii.

EDIT: Oh, I’m going to find out details when I’m going to officially get the award. Part of my play will be read by students. If you’re going to be anywhere near Oswego, NY next wednesday, then be sexy and show up. I doubt anyone will, but still.

Double sorry then. I also sounded like a malicious cpier in my previous post >_<

Honestly, I think I’ll be ready when you are, so don’t worry at all. As for a genre of music? Just come up with whatever you want; I’ll give you some input, but in the end, whatever decision you make, I’ll figure out what to do with it. I would suggest something that would be appropriate with the subject matter…for example, Avenue Q had very ‘kids-show’ type music; Chicago has, for the most part, that whole ‘jazz-at-a-nightclub’ theme to it. If you haven’t seen Chicago the musical, by the way, you should:

1. The way the narrator introduces the songs as if he is the owner of a bar and the songs are his entertainment is very clever, and might give you inspiration;

2. You can see quite easily that, while having one genre of music to default to, you can very easily have several styles; and

3. I played the part of Mary Sunshine a local theatre production of Chicago, and I love to brag about it to people who know what I’m talking about when I say that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way, if you have any questions ever, let me know. I’m down with whatever.

Mary Sunshine, eh? Could you write an article about me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I was thinking that if I was ever doing a musical, it would have to be with rock music, as I’m most familiar with that. But even then, if there was a folk or country or rap song in the middle of it, I wouldn’t be averse to that. Regardless if whether we do it about Jack Thompson, however, I want to write something about censorship, as it’s one of those things as an artist that affects me greatly.

Dude, take a road trip and visit me with that sexiness in the Albany area. You have a car, I don’t. >.>

Congrats dude, and I’d totally nominate that as a play to perform based on sheer sexiness.

Awesome, man. I love playwriting. Have you tried for any larger writing contests? I don’t know how good I am at it, but I do like it. I’d still really like to read that play. I’ve been wanting to since you told me about it a while ago in the workshop thread.

I’ll jump on the musical bandwagon if you want anyone else involved.

Congratulations GAP! Celebrations are in order…bring in the naked lesbian twins!:dancer: :dancer:

Oh, imagine the hype I could make about you as Mary Sunshine, pal. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I understand that you’d be most familiar with rock, but…if I were writing the score, wouldn’t that be irrelevant, unless that just turns out to be what you want? I’m just saying, cos you don’t have to necesarily limit yourself. When you get an idea, decide what’s appropriate after that, I’d say. Censorship as a theme sounds like a great idea. Is it possible to do a musical about Jack Thompson that wouldn’t get us in a lot of trouble? Cos if so, I’d be all KINDS of down for that.

Last I checked, it was legal to deface people aslong as it’s clearly satire.

It could be about Tom Jackson. >.>

Exactly. You can make a satirical exaggeration of a real life person if you don’t use their real name. I want to write something that will enrage the Gores, Liebermans and Thompsons of the world.

K

Congratulations, mate.

(FYI, I plan to win the Nobel in 2048 or 2049.)

Robots can’t win the Nobel Prize. Pfft.

Ooh, yes. Knock yerself out.

It was the unpublished Fourth Law of Robotics. They can’t win Radio contest prizes, either.

Congrats!