Sega Sues EA, Fox, and Radical Games

<i>Though the striking resemblance between Fox Interactive’s The Simpson’s Road Rage and Sega’s Crazy Taxi has long been the source of snickering among enthusiast observers, it has now become the source of a legal smashup as well.
Sega of America has filed suit in a San Francisco federal court against Fox Interactive, which owns the rights to games based on the Simpsons property, Electronic Arts, which published the game, and developer Radical Games, stating that Road Rage was designed as a deliberate imitation of Crazy Taxi. </i>

Whatcoo think?

Has this been done before? I mean lots of games are obvious clones, but I can’t remember any lawsuits based on that.

Well apparently Sega claims they have a patent for Crazy Taxi, so Sega is basically sueing EA, Fox & Radical for infringing on their patent.

I havent played either SRR or CT, but I do know that there are so many game clones out there, I’m surprised that sega is surprised. Can someone whose played both elaborate; is it really that similar?

It doesn’t matter, really. Crazy Taxi sucks anyway. It’ll probably get thrown out instantly anyway, since ripping other things off is the backbone of the entertainment industry (television, movies, and ESPECIALLY video games).

I don’t think they’d win. I just finished doing a research paper on copyright law. I think they’d be protected by the fair use doctrine. It alowed for things like parodies, so I guess it would protect “clones” as well.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/june03/dumbestmoments/index10.shtml

Sega doesn’t have a case. They’re screwed.

Meh, both games suck.

Nah, no real issue here.

Didn’t Road Rash come out years before any Crazy Taxi game?

Originally posted by Nerimuker
Didn’t Road Rash come out years before any Crazy Taxi game?

We are talking about Simpsons: Road <b>RAGE</b>.

I’ve never heard of Road Rage being similar to Crazy Taxi, only that it is similar to Grand Theft Auto. Also, how do you patent a video game?

Originally posted by YoungPaladin
I’ve never heard of Road Rage being similar to Crazy Taxi, only that it is similar to Grand Theft Auto. Also, how do you patent a video game?

Your thinking of Simpson: Hit and Run.
Road Rage was a Simpsons version of Crazy taxi.

It’s something that happens just about as often as someone die. And certainly not something that deserves a thread.

Not only that, but it’s a thread about two bad racing games. Pointless thread.

I knew this was pointless as well. It’s like Frito-Lay suing another snack company for making potato chips. The amount of stupid lawsuits that go through courts is pathetic.

I think that’s pretty stupid. You can’t own the copyrights to a style, or a genre, and stuff like that… I mean there’s tons of games that are just like other games, what makes Sega think they get special privledges?

Another incident like this happened back in the SNES day, when Capcom took Data East to court, because their game Fighter’s History was exactly like Street Fighter. (it really was too) In the end Capcom won.:victoly:

Originally posted by BahamutXero
I don’t think they’d win. I just finished doing a research paper on copyright law. I think they’d be protected by the fair use doctrine. It alowed for things like parodies, so I guess it would protect “clones” as well.
Ever read the fair use rule? Clause 4 states that fair use does not apply if “the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work” is effected in any negative way.

CRAZY TAXI RULES!!!