Screenshots of Darth Vader from Episode 3

I know all that. The way he said it was as if it was just dronish people talking for 2 hours though. Like there wasn’t enough of the bang bang explody stuff.

Well, Hades has a point in that movies should not be judged by individual taste (since we all have different opinions) but on more measurable things, like quality of writing, SFX, etc. In that sense, all the SW movies are superior to a lot of the crap that Hollywood puts out.

And what IS my personal opinion on Eps 1 and 2? Well, I just didn’t find them as fun as the first trilogy. I guess I liked the “Old Movie Serial” feeling they had (You know, with a bunch of likeable heroes on a thrill ride from one threat to another) that they had. I guess Lucas wants a different approach for this trilogy. Oh, and Bing has a GREAT point about the technology in the series.

I expect Ep 3 to be darker (ala SW 2) since the hero turns evil. I just hope they make it realistic (I hear rumors he gets seduced by a Female Dark Jedi???) Still, it could be the best of the trilogy, if it is handled well…

Originally posted by Bing
[b]Episode I and II both strayed from the path of IV, V and VI because George Lucas decided that over-doing everything with the new special effect technology would be a good idea. If he’d have stuck to puppets instead of computerized characters he’d have been a lot better off, IMO.

Also, this esp. goes in line with the new bad guy, technology should not have been better in espisodes I, II and III than in IV, V and VI. It just doesn’t make sense to have Naboo fighters that are sleeker, faster and more able to fight than the X-Wings. (Which reminds me…why the new, odd spacecrafts? X-Wings, Bombers, B-Wings, speeder bikes…these things were cool.)

I liked Episode II more than I because of one main reason, as well as a few little ones (it had better lead into the later episodes and it had less Jar Jar, for examples)…the main reason being: YODA KICKED ASS!

I think Lucas would have done better with Episode I and II (and probably III) if he understood and lived by the phrase “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.”

As for the pix…I gave my input on the Robot General, but the Darth Vader look is a very good one. I think that’s a good step towards connecting the movies together. I was looking forward to it. [/b]

Just because Star ships get bigger and better looking in the new episodes doesn’t mean that they are better. The Naboo fighters were fighting other technology from the same time period. Sure they may look sleeker and all that but if you put an X-Wing against a Naboo fighter the Naboo Fighter’s shields would probably cave in after one shot, the Naboo fighter’s blasters probably wouldn’t even scratch the X-wing’s shields and the X-wing is probably far more manuverable then the Naboo fighter. If the original Star Wars trilogy had been made now and the first three episodes 25 years ago it would be the Naboo fighters that look clunky and the X-wings that would look sleek. It all has to do with what Lucas has. AFter all to make an X-wing explode in the filming of episode one he had to blow up an X-wing.

Thats just WICKED!!!

But didnt anakin have his whole arm cut off in Ep. II?

that just shows his wrist…

I’ll just comment that I think puppet-Yoda looked better than CGI-Yoda and leave it at that. But his fight scenes were AWESOME!!!1111elevenses :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I thought the CG worked well. Don’t really know why people like puppets.

And Anakin did lose a hand. If you look at the picture, his right hand is robotic.

As for the naboo fighter thing, playing Rogue Leader will show you the differences between the fighters first hand. Also, keep in mind its a naboo fighter, that’s why you don’t see other people using em :P.

Originally posted by Jango
Just because Star ships get bigger and better looking in the new episodes doesn’t mean that they are better. The Naboo fighters were fighting other technology from the same time period. Sure they may look sleeker and all that but if you put an X-Wing against a Naboo fighter the Naboo Fighter’s shields would probably cave in after one shot, the Naboo fighter’s blasters probably wouldn’t even scratch the X-wing’s shields and the X-wing is probably far more manuverable then the Naboo fighter. If the original Star Wars trilogy had been made now and the first three episodes 25 years ago it would be the Naboo fighters that look clunky and the X-wings that would look sleek. It all has to do with what Lucas has. AFter all to make an X-wing explode in the filming of episode one he had to blow up an X-wing.
That’s sort of my point. The fact that Episode I, II and III came before IV, V and VI means that you would think that technology would have gone forward, which, as you gave an example of, it did. (X-Wing beats Naboo Fighter.) However, the look and feel of the spacecraft don’t line up with the time period they suggest. (Example: the X-Wing looks like a 1960 pick-up, so why did the 2004 Corvette (Naboo Fighter) come out before it? Yes a pick-up is more powerful than a sports car (even if I’m wrong, just go with me), but the style throws it off-course too.) Also the Naboo Fights look like they’ve never been flown…way to smooth and flashy for fighter planes, IMO.

That’s probably because the rebel fighters had to divert most of their paltry funds towards having starships with good shields, weapons, etc rather than shiny paint. Or at least that’s how it would be argued now.

Well, the reason that I found Episode 2 boring was that even all the action packed scenes were nice to look at, I didn’t care a thing that was happening to the characters, the circumstances, or anythign that was on screen. It was just a light show and I don’t see how the whole 30 second fight scene with Yoda was supposed to save the whole movie. I was already to bored with the action, angry at the acting, laughing at the horrid dialogue to actually care that we had a 2 foot tall green guy jumping around. The excessive CG just kind of separated me from what the movie actually was and the whole thing was just distracting from anythign that was entertaining in episodes 4 and 5.

XCG expressed my sentiments on this accurately, actually. That is why it bored me- not because of any lack of action or whatnot. =p

And the first Star Wars movies were pretty good for samurai movie ripoffs. The prequels are just milking the cash cow.

Yeah. I’m still going to see the third one. Sue me. =p

Nice. Wasn’t expecting him to look THAT injured. And that grievous art is in the fanart section, so it’s arguable to say the least.

And I found the new trilogy to be good, though not as good as the original.

I hear that if (BIG IF THERE) a third trilogy is made (based purportedly off the New Jedi Order books), it won’t be directed by Lucas though. At least he’s taking a break from Star Wars.

If we want to get technical about scientific innaccuracies, The main thing to target is how sonic bombs got used in space in episode 2. Last I checked, sound doesnt travel in space, so they theoretically wouldn’t even work.

Here’s my question: What the hell is a Droid doing with lightsabres? Droids can’t use the force dammit! Wonder if those are just fancy ass vibroblades?

Meh… I don’t think it’s gonna be that good.
Then again, I’m not much of a fan of any of them :\

What the original movies had was actors who had charisma and some form of chemistry between one another. While I think Natalie Portman is pretty as a peach, she just doesn’t exude that same feistiness that Carrie Fisher did. And Hayden Christenson just came off as whiny to me. Yeah, they didn’t exactly give him witty/deep/etc dialogue, but even with it, I don’t think he can live up to Mark Hamil or Harrison Ford. Everything just seemed alot more cutesy, alot younger. And some scenes made me cringe ;_; BUT… all that and general disappointment aside, I still liked them.

Anyway, I guess we’ll see if things improve in episode 3.

MMmmm Ewan McGreggor…

>.>
<.<

NINJA VANISH!

We have established that sleeker does not necessarily mean better. Besides, spacecraft like the X-wing or TIE fighters don’t need to be aerodynamic, since the vast majority of the time they are in space where there is no air while Naboo’s fighters were essentially for planetary defence.

As for appearances: the Rebel Alliance did not have the resources (financial, productive, or stationary facilities) to put time into developing nice looking vehicles; practicality overrides cosmetics. The Empire, at the other end of the spectrum, has virtually unlimited resources (especially troops), and therefore can afford to simply mass produce lesser quality craft. Also, since the Empire is big on intimidation and fear, creating military vehicles that look cold and mechanical as opposed to sleek and efficient is appropriate.

With regards to specific craft, the X-wing was not created until after the Rebellion began, the B-wing did not make an appearance until Return of the Jedi (they weren’t even available in the original X-wing game, and only showed up in the second expansion campaign).

I personally enjoyed the movies and don’t understand why everyone loathes Jar-Jar.

Originally posted by IonMage If we want to get technical about scientific innaccuracies, The main thing to target is how sonic bombs got used in space in episode 2. Last I checked, sound doesnt travel in space, so they theoretically wouldn’t even work.

Why wouldn’t sound travel in space? Just because there is no atmostphere, doesn’t mean anything. Sound is just a bunch of waves, just like light. There is no reason for sound waves not to be in space. That is the same as saying, it a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Yes, sound and light are independent of human perception. The sound waves would work since they would travel similarily to light and be affected by all the same things. Light and sound are extremely similar, with the main difference being speed. Also, if they have little jets that can travel all over a galaxy, it takes place long ago, has the force, have vehicles capable of going the speed of light, weaposn capable of destroying entire planets, and have light sabers, I’m pretty sure that they can make sonic bombs. Sound still exists in space though. I don’t even see how you could think that it wouldn’t exist in space.

Yeah, the kid really ruined episode 1 for me, plus Jar Jar (the race scene was also a bit long), and finally the way he beats the starship. Come on, he just randomly shoots the core? Episode 2 was pretty good though. There were weak part, but it was still very good overall. I also like it took some of the things that I hated about Episode 1 and phased them out and fixed them.

Well, if one subscribes to the concept that space is a vacuum and that sound waves require a medium for travel (which a lot of people do), it’s very possible for someone to believe that there isn’t sound in space.

edit - To be on topic, I felt similarly to CC about the movies. It was fun to watch, but I just wasn’t motivated to care the way I am with other movies. However, I’m going to see Episode 3 (of course, who isn’t?).

"An electromagnetic wave is a wave which is capable of transmitting its energy through a vacuum (i.e., empty space). Electromagnetic waves are produced by the vibration of electrons within atoms on the Sun’s surface. These waves subsequently travel through the vacuum of outer space, subsequently reaching Earth. Were it not for the ability of electromagnetic waves to travel to Earth, there would undoubtedly be no life on Earth. All light waves are examples of electromagnetic waves. Light waves are the topic of another unit at The Physics Classroom. While the basic properties and behaviors of light will be discussed, the detailed nature of an electromagnetic wave is quite complicated and beyond the scope of The Physics Classroom.

A mechanical wave is a wave which is not capable of transmitting its energy through a vacuum. Mechanical waves require a medium in order to transport their energy from one location to another. A sound wave is an example of a mechanical wave. Sound waves are incapable of traveling through a vacuum. Slinky waves, water waves, stadium waves, and telephone chord waves are other examples of mechanical waves; each requires some medium in order to exist. A slinky wave requires the coils of the slinky; a water wave requires water; a stadium wave requires fans in a stadium; and a telephone chord wave requires a telephone chord."

(http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/waves/u10l1c.html)

Comments on comments:

1. Why cannot droids use Light Sabers? As far as I know, they’re laser or particle weapons, not force-generated. The Jedi just favor them. 'Course, whether they would use them well is debatable.

2. My problem with the tech in Eps 1 and 2 is not that it is not possible for it to be better than the one used in the first trilogy, it’s that it LOOKS more modern. If I were Lucas I would’ve made it look more “retro.” But that’s a very minor point.

3. A sonic bomb MIGHT work in a vacuum IF it unleashed its OWN “mini-atmosphere” that would last only long enough for the vibrations to hit nearby objects. Hey, where dealing with pseudo-science already!