Scientists encourage brain pills.

Would it be that most problems with the mind can be treated by tricking it into thinking it’s been treated, so actual brain pills aren’t necessary, just the illusion of brain pills?

I don’t think I understood it, at least as far as to how the placebo effect applies to people becoming dependent on pills supplied by pharmaceutical overlords.

My point is not that people will become dependent on it. My point is that the placebo effect can be extremely effective even in cases where it would really not be obvious that it would be. My point is that it would be very difficult to perform good scientific research on the true effectiveness of a pill that actually has an effect beyond that which taking a placebo would.

A placebo effect is based on expectation and belief so people that take pills thinking it will make them smarter or work harder may indeed work better but it may not be because the pill is doing anything. Its possible that the act of taking this particular thing actually makes them more motivated, focused or whatever to do whatever they’re doing. Its easy to measure the effectiveness of something like erythropoeitin, you just look at the athlete’s hematocrit (% of red blood cells). Its a biological reflex and level kind of thing. You assume that ultimately the athletes with the higher hematocrit will outperform the others, which they may or may not based on a bunch of variables. The guy who received a placebo might simply do better than he expected otherwise for no reason at all, up to a certain threshold, like olympic athletes where every little difference matters.

In a sentence, my point is that the link presented is bullshit. I like Manus’ pic because it conveys my reaction humorously.

I get this sentiment and share it. I was mainly referring to how in the long run it doesn’t matter since we’re making guys throw javelins slightly further, as opposed to helping guys cure cancer.

And the placebo effect is fucking awesome and one of the coolest weird things about us.

Whatever you wanna say about it, the placebo effect turns Kahneman and Tversky into Conman and Jive Turkey.
Well, I guess it’s not really that drastic. But I wanted to say jive turkey
In a sentence, my point is that Xwing taught me it’s okay for ugly people to do meth.

Especially if you start out looking like column 1 row 3.

The placebo effect shouldn’t be underestimated. Maybe there should be more research into psychological alternatives to medication, at least in cases of depression and in areas where intensive performance is required. Drugs can mess with the system in unwanted ways, while a little nudge in the right direction can make the mind work better through natural means.

That reminds me, I oughta catch up on my reading. I wonder if there have been any recent studies about psychological effects on post op and injury recovery.

There has been research about placebos in psychology. The antidepressants being pumped into patients is a big hoax by the pharmaceutical industry. I wish I was kidding.

Cases of severe depression excepted, right?

Only because people accept that anything is better than nothing, placebo or otherwise.

I want them to hurry up and legalize these drugs.

“The only exception is in the most severely depressed patients, according to the authors - Prof Irving Kirsch from the department of psychology at Hull University and colleagues in the US and Canada. But that is probably because the placebo stopped working so well, they say, rather than the drugs having worked better.”

Though declaring clinical insignificance on drugs taken by 40 million wasn’t a pleasant surprise to the drug companies.

This reminds me of when I was talking to my ex. She was prescribed some sort of anti-depressant, and read in the Guardian that it was found to have no greater success than that of a placebo. I sent it to her, and she yelled at me because, “It won’t work for me now that I know it’s junk!”