Scholarship Search...help?

Alright, this is probably the last place I should go for help, but since I’ve been all over the web already, I thought maybe, just maybe, someone here might know something, and be able to share.

I’m doing the whole college thing (I’m actualyl in college, but I’m part-time at a local college, and I want to be full-time at a better school in the fall), and my parents decided I need to pay for 25% of the cheapest school I get accepted into.

(Example: 1 year at School A is $28,000 - 1 year at School B is $30,000 - 1 year at School C is $29,000 - and 1 year at School D is $32,000. Say I get into B and C, and I end up going to B, I have to pay 25% of C’s cost, since it’s cheaper. This is still about $7,000.)

There’s more to it: any financial aid my parents get to use for their 75%, but any scholarships, grants, loans I get are MINE.

So, I’m looking for any good scholarship web sites anyone here might know of (grants and loans also welcome, but loans are last on the list, since you have to pay those back).

Here are some sites I already know, so no point in listing them:
www.princetonreview.com
www.collegeboard.com
www.scholarships.com
www.scholarshipexperts.com <—I haven’t joined because of the $30 fee…is it worth it?
www.dollarship.com

Here are some intresting points about me, just in case:
Intended Major(s): Major - Math; Minors - Computer Science, Physics
Highschool: Didn’t go, I was homeschooled.
Extracircular: Skiing, Karate, Theater, Programming
Odd Facts: I was born on 9-11-86, I’m left-handed, I was born in (and live in) Connecticut, I’m 6’1"-6’2", I’m 80% German, I have no real religious affiliation.

Any input is welcome, and appriciated, thank you!

The very best source is your school guidance counsellor (or whatever you have of the equilvalent)

Apply to a cheap school.

::Sigh::

The point for me transferring is to go to a better school. If I’m going to go to a cheap school, I might as well stay where I am…and that’s not a good idea. I know some 7th graders who could get thru here easily.

And if you get into Princeton or Yale or Harvard, any 7th grader would be able to get through there easily as well: grade inflation, baby. Gotta keep up the image.

Yes, now imagine grade inflation in a state college…yeah, I’m stuck in a state university. This place blows.

Apply to a cheap school because the amount you have to pay for is a quarter of the cheapest school you get into. I never said to seriously consider going to a cheap school.

<a href=“http://www.fastweb.com/”>FastWeb!</a>

1-Get into a cheap school.
2-Go to the schools you’re interested in and check out their financial aid packages.
3-Most scholarships require that you have some outstanding characteristics/activities. Do you have any?
4-Scholarships aren’t that easy to get.
5-Get accepted into a school before figuring out how you’re going to pay for it.
6-Don’t rule out loans.
7-If you want to lower costs, take into consideration what it costs to move around or live somewhere else. If you commute a lot, think about the cost of your commute. If you live on campus, think of not living on campus.

Apply to a cheap school because the amount you have to pay for is a quarter of the cheapest school you get into. I never said to seriously consider going to a cheap school.
Ah, yes! I’ve thought of that. Unfortunitly there are 6 schools that I had narrowed it down to before my parents set that rule, so any new schools wouldn’t apply. Thanks for the idea though, you’ve got the same thought train as I do on the matter, which is good to know.

FastWeb!
Thank you! This is just the kind of thing I’m looking for! I’ll look more into it in a munite. Thanks Kero!

1-Get into a cheap school.
2-Go to the schools you’re interested in and check out their financial aid packages.
3-Most scholarships require that you have some outstanding characteristics/activities. Do you have any?
4-Scholarships aren’t that easy to get.
5-Get accepted into a school before figuring out how you’re going to pay for it.
6-Don’t rule out loans.
7-If you want to lower costs, take into consideration what it costs to move around or live somewhere else. If you commute a lot, think about the cost of your commute. If you live on campus, think of not living on campus.

1. See top reply.
  2. I have. Like I said, my parents get financial aid, and most scholarships are giving out partially on financial aid, which I’d get very little of because my dad makes a lot (but for some reason still expects me to pull off 25%).
  3. Yes. Every teacher I’ve ever had (minus maybe one or two) will write me amazing recommendations, my grades are all A’s and B’s (only one thing ever less than a B, and that was a C+ in French), and I have lots of out-of-school hobbies. Still, I’m having trouble.
  4. I know. That’s why I asked to see if anyone had anygood resources here.
  5. Good plan. I hope my parents don’t expect me to have the money before hand (my mom’s a little phyco and might expect me to have it all ready right away).
  6. I’m not, trust me! But since those are 100 times easier to get (esp. for someone like me), I’m looking for scholarships first. Loans I’ll do thru the college (I think).
  7. My living arrangements, while not final, are pretty surely going to be: on-campus dorm. I don’t have a car (because my parents would make me pay for it, and I can’t afford a car and college right now), and the schools I’m looking at are far from my house, so there’s NO way I could commute. Also, any off-campus housing is a lot more expensive, esp. in the areas I’m looking for.

Thanks for the advice though Sin.