Ron Gilbert + Penny Arcade = teh win

I think this may possibly be news that nobody else knows yet at all. O_o Google yields zip. I was sent it by Michael Meyers PR, a gaming PR company which has been sending me random news releases for the last little while (I think because I’m an RPGC staffer). Anyway, check this out:

Adventure Game Veteran Ron Gilbert Contributing to Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness

Vancouver, British Columbia - May 09, 2007 Hothead Games is pleased to announce that Ron Gilbert is working closely with the company on the development of its highly anticipated game title Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

As the co-creator of the Monkey Island series, Gilbert was one of the foremost pioneers of the classic adventure genre. He created numerous critically acclaimed classics like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken before moving on to found Humongous Entertainment in 1992. Humongous released a number of successful titles under his leadership, including several produced under the company’s subsidiary label Cavedog Entertainment.
“I have been a fan of Penny Arcade because I have always found their comic so funny and biting,” said Gilbert. “When I first heard they were making a game and that they had chosen to weave adventure game elements into it, I knew immediately I wanted to be involved. Working with the Penny Arcade guys and the team at Hothead has been an absolute riot.”

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One is the first chapter of the planned episodic Penny Arcade Adventures game for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. The downloadable game will feature characters from Penny Arcade, including the well-known Gabe and Tycho. Hothead is working with the Penny Arcade creators and Gilbert in an intense collaborative development process.

Jerry Holkins, a writer at Penny Arcade, can hardly believe he is working with Ron Gilbert on a game. “I can hardly believe it,” suggested Holkins. “The whole thing is super crazy.”

Joel DeYoung, the game’s Producer at Hothead, pointed out that even though Gilbert’s contract with the company did not require him to reveal the coveted secret of Monkey Island, that has not prevented them from trying. “We’ve definitely tried to get it out of him but have had no luck so far,” said DeYoung. “He did make clear that if he told us the secret, he would have to kill us. We’re already down two programmers and a designer.”

About Hothead Games

Headquartered in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Hothead Games is a team of industry veterans with a track record of creating games that are both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. Hothead is one of the top four finalists in Telefilm Canada’s ongoing Great Canadian Video Game competition. Read all about Hothead’s games at www.hotheadgames.com.

About Penny Arcade

Equal parts online comic and commentary, Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) covers videogames in a way that is genuine, insightful and respected by the gaming community. What started as a hobby for Jerry “Tycho” Holkins and Mike “Gabe” Krahulik has, over five years grown into an online phenomenon that serves 45 million page views a month to millions of readers worldwide. In addition to the comic strip and PAX, Penny Arcade Inc. also manages Child’s Play (www.childsplaycharity.org), a gamer-driven charity for sick kids in Children’s Hospitals across the world.

Of all the parties in all the houses on all the islands in the Caribbean he had to crash mine!

Rooooooon Giiilbert! Now I’ll definitely check this out. Man, Ron Gilbert FTW.

(Not to mention he founded Cavedog=Total Annihilation)

P.S. It is already in Wikipedia

I thought the secret of monkey island was a portal to a dimension of evil or some such.

I once said a game with a title so long as the one given could never, ever, get any better. Now I shall have to claim that statement a joke, so my canon of never having made a mistake may be retained.

Only four Ron Gilbert fans. O, cruel world!