Romancing Saga 3

Ok, an attempt to get some action in this forum. The only game I played in the Saga series is RS3 so here goes:

WARNING: SPOILERS!

As much as I love the scenario for this game, when I get near the end (the fifth abyss gate) I get confused: Why does Sarah/Shonen have to give their live to close the last (fourth) gate? How come there’s two destined children anyway? (Shonen is Sarah’s long lost twin brother?) And what is the final boss (the destroyer) really?

I couldn’t get into that game, I couldn’t understand what people were saying most of the time.

That’s too bad; it’s one of the finest rpg’s I’ve played!

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
I couldn’t get into that game, I couldn’t understand what people were saying most of the time.

You probably had the wrong translation patch. I remember I had the same problem then I first started playing. It’s been a long while since I’ve played it but maybe somebody could help you. Romancing Saga 3 is a great game tho.

Both of them survived the eclipse that killed off all the children- one of them represents light (Shonen), the other, darkness (Sarah). They aren’t related, but they do have the ultimate power so to speak. I’m pretty sure it didn’t cost them their lives to close the gate, but it does require a lot of their power. Or so that’s my theory at least =P

Ok, but how come there’s two destined children when there’s normally one (I think)? And closing the gates might not cost them their lives, but the dissappear inside it (or something).
And I am still curious about the Destroyer; what is it? (Other than something that tries to destroy stuff :wink:

Well, I think there being two destined children is a sort of abnormality that, amongst other things, led to the demons being released and such. A lot of unusual stuff had happened really.

The Destroyer I guess is the head of the Demon Lords that seeks to uh… destroy the world maybe =P. I’m not overly sure there was much of a description of what it was or why it wanted to do that. I guess it’s just your typical evil force that wants to destroy the universe.

Well, I think it’s a bit of a waste, really. I love playing RS3, but when I get towards the end, my motivation drops everytime. I have lots of safegames after closing all the gates that I never finished. It’s just more fun to start a new game and pick your characters speciality and decide who to pick and everything.
I think there’s not much fanfiction and stuff around that might start my imagination, is there?
Well, I guess I’ll try and think of a nice explanation for the final events myself. I’ll post it here when I do.

Oh, and Kagon, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say this and all, but how come you don’t visit the RS3 board at gamefaqs.com? Or maybe you do with another name?

Well, I plan on playing through the game again to see if I can find anything, but I don’t guarantee there’s much more to it than that.

Eh, I use to post on the RS3 boards at gamefaqs- I don’t post there as much now. If you see me posting, it’ll either be there or at the FFOrigins board.

Or right here…:slight_smile:

Anyways, I started a topic about the loose ends at gamefaqs so maybe I’ll get some interesting ideas there. But like I said, maybe I’ll have to think of something myself…

Originally posted by Davidovitch
As much as I love the scenario for this game, when I get near the end (the fifth abyss gate) I get confused: Why does Sarah/Shonen have to give their live to close the last (fourth) gate? How come there’s two destined children anyway? (Shonen is Sarah’s long lost twin brother?) And what is the final boss (the destroyer) really? [/b]

If I remember correctly both will talk about it being their job to close the gates. It seems while your party can close the gates outside the abyss they can not close the gates inside the abyss.

And that area where you find Sarah/Shonen in the final area is a probably the main gate of abyss. Abyss being a sense of destruction and void.

The one who goes in there is trying their best to close it. However if both are there it becomes a power of destruction. As you may notice behind Sarah/Shonen is a yellow energy. This energy grows bigger just before the final battle.

I think I figured it out. Now note that this is partially theory. And I’m reading between the lines a lot here.

A great evil was sealed away long ago. This was Destroyer. Of course being sealed away it still wanted to destroy everything.

It created four other versions of itself with some of its power. What we call the four noble devils. They did not have the power to escape, but they did have the power to manipulate people.

Now the destroyer is the one causing the death eclipse that kills off every first born, but the destined child each year. In other words the destroyer is still able to use some of its power.

The noble devils probably noticed there was a survivor. And while they were not able to enter directly themselves, their shadows were able to reach the boy.

Corrupted the boy became their “leader” and helped them escape. Thus the noble devils were able to cause a rampage for their other “leader”.

However he wasn’t enough for the Destroyer to be freed from its prison. So the boy died after awhile. Needless to say the next child was born.

This child however was not so easy to corrupt as the Devil King was. As the Holy King, he was probably prepared to show his life was worthy of being spared.

With the help of allies and friends which probably motivated him never to turn evil he defeated the noble devils and force them back into the abyss.

He wasn’t able to destroy the gates they or perhaps the devil king made, but my theory is he was able to seal them for awhile. Of course he too eventually died.

16 years before the game begins the third mentioned death eclipse happens and this time two children are born. The two children together are enough to break the seal on the destroyer.

The four noble devils who are perhaps pawns of their creator try their best to open the gates wider, destroy stuff and of course capture the children.

Once both destined children are close enough to the destroyer it tries to use their energy in other to to break the seal. Notice how the other is forced to join the one already next to the energy at the end.

Your party realizes the only way to win is for the two to work together to turn the destructive energy of the destroyer into creative energy.

The destroy already free would be concentrating on using the final attack to destroy everything. However you’re in the way so it can’t concentrate.

This gives Sarah and Shonen time to either create create energy or convert the destroyer into a creator. I’m not sure which.

Your mission is to give Sarah and Shonen time to prepare themselves. But you also have to destroy the destroyer in time.

When the destructive power of abyss is filling up this means the destroyer is ready to destroy everything despite your actions. However being a game with no sense of time, you can still attack it for several rounds.

So you eventually kill it if you don’t lose the battle. Damaged and battered it destroys everything. However because Sarah and Shonen had enough time, they were able to change death to death and rebirth.

Everything gets destroyed, but it gets recreated as well. However if the final boss kills you then it is assumed Sarah and Shonen were not given enough time. So death is only death.

In others words the Destroyer was probably a sealed demon who despite being sealed was trying to pull strings to destroy everything. And saw the children as a way to break the seal

The noble devils could be considered the hands of the destroyer. I theorize this because it can use their power as if it owns the power. Until they are destroyed of course.

Originally posted by Kagon
Both of them survived the eclipse that killed off all the children- one of them represents light (Shonen), the other, darkness (Sarah). They aren’t related, but they do have the ultimate power so to speak. I’m pretty sure it didn’t cost them their lives to close the gate, but it does require a lot of their power. Or so that’s my theory at least =P

Shonen is light? And Sarah is darkness? I never even realized that. Maybe that’s why they weren’t supposed to be together. The destroyer needs the power of light and darkness to escape its sealing. At least in my theory.

St.Ajora

That’s the way I saw it. Shonen is like the Holy King, and Sarah is like the Devil King.

Originally posted by Kagon
That’s the way I saw it. Shonen is like the Holy King, and Sarah is like the Devil King.

What exactly makes Shonen the Holy King and Sarah the Devil King? Ie where did you arrive at that theory?

St.Ajora

Well, Shonen is the destined child (or at least the game seems to refer to him as that). He seems to be the true hero of the game with your party uniting behind him to stop the Destroyer. These actions made me seem his as the Holy King.

Now as we saw earlier, there were two children that survived the Death Eclipses- one of Light and one of Darkness. Someone has to counterbalance the Light- Sarah. Sarah easily succumbs to the powers (as seen when she disappears after sealing the last gate) as Shonen tries to save her.

I also had the same idea that there would need to be both the powers of light and darkness to either release or stop the Destroyer- Shonen fitting the light and Sarah fitting the dark, or at least in my mind. I hope that made some kind of sense =P

Wow, that’s a nice theorie, St. Ajora!

You guys have really helped me out with this, thanks!

I hope this thread stays on the forum for a while so I can read this back every now and then (or I could just save it but I’m lazy;)

I might play the final part tonight with one of my ‘neglected near the end’ files (the Julien one) and then see if I can add anything to this (probably not).

Originally posted by Davidovitch
Why does Sarah/Shonen have to give their live to close the last (fourth) gate?

They don’t, both survive. When I finished as Julian there was a scene where Sara and Ellen speak to Julian. Also all the characters on a boat where you see their final stats and Sara and Shonen are both present.

And in regards to what St. Ajora said about the devil and holy kings, just out of curiousity were those from the first two Romancnig SaGa games or did the creators just pull the story out of nowhere.

I don’t think the third game’s story has anything to do with the first two games. Of course I have not played the first two games in a language I can understand. But I have heard the stories have nothing to do with each other.

St.Ajora

I know they both survive, but that’s only because you go in and rescue the one inside (usually Sarah).
What I mean is, why does Sarah/Shonen go into the abyss in the first place?

Just a detail, really.
About Shonen being the “Light” and Sarah the “Dark” Destined Child: I just played a little with Sarah as my main char, and when she picks up Shonen, he talks about how everyone that tries to help him or kill him dies. So I think if there is a difference between Sarah and Shonen, Shonen would be the child of darkness.

But frankly, I think they both have the same power. Shonen just can’t control it (he’s more like the Devil king, really).

Oh, huh I see. Hmm well I guess that just reverses the roles in my theories really, heh. Thanks for the info.