Roguelike games...

…a lot of people have touted Nethack as the most awesome thing since awesomeness, but I’d just like to say that I think that ADOM is the best fucking roguelike game ever! Woo!

http://www.adom.de/adom/index.php3 (I’m a trollish archer… yeah, I know I know <_<; )

Anybody else have some favorite roguelike games you like to play? What classes/races do you like in the various games (BTW- in Nethack I very much enjoy Dwarvish Archaologists… call me strange :-P).

Slashem is pretty fun. Its really simple and easy, but its a refreshing break when you’re aggravated at nethack.

Don’t know where to find it, i got it off IRC. =\

EDIT: http://slashem.sourceforge.net/

I bounce back and forth between slashem and nethack. I tried adom a while back, but I never get very far before deciding that I need my tileset.

I mostly play Samurai, though gilgamesh has taught me an appreciation for the dwarven archeologist.

Kick arse!
I’ve been play ADOM since I was 7!! And always loved it! I only just recently got into Nethack, and it’s alright, but unduely difficult.
Although, I probably can’t talk so much about Roguelikes being hard, I’ve never even been able to get past having only the Fire Orb in ADOM… hmm, but nice shit!

Ninten:cool:

Yeah, Nethack is uber, uber hard. That’s what’s so fun about it though, admittedly, it frustrates the Hell out of you.

True, which is what I can’t get over… REALLY fun game! Just maybe a little excessively hard. But that’s just the style eh?

Ninten:cool:

Using the same character over and over is the absolute best way to get stuck in a rut and never advance. Every single time I hit a wall and reached a certain level that I simply not could get beyond I broke new ground by choosing another character. Try going random, you might be suprised at the results.

I do that on occasion, but I usually grab samurai when I first start going on a nethack kick, and lately those have only been lasting for a run or 2. Most of them end with either a spectactularly bad death and a bones file to be dreaded for months to come, or slipping up and getting chopped in half during the quest, at which point I generally find something else to do. I haven’t made a serious attempt at progressing farther since last summer, so I mostly just play the class I like the best whenever I do play.

Sadly, my high-score isn’t with one of my archeologists, but an orcish barbarian called ‘Angry’ I played as when I was messing around after a few months of not playing. And I beat my top score by double too.

My archeologist falls third, and amazingly, I think 8th or 9th is a tourist.