RIAA declares victory on P2P

And I thought they were dumbasses BEFORE.

"Album sales are still down — about 3% this year. But Bainwol says digital sales — up 77% — make up for the shortfall. "

Ok, and why are they complaining, if digital sales are up 77% it more than makes up for the whopping 3% album sales are down.

Digital shops like iTunes arn’t about making money anyway. They’re not about selling songs, they’re about selling the concept of a paid download, or a “legal download” ;o

And considering more non-internet users know how a tracker works, and what soulseek is than ever before, i really doubt they have much of anything “under control”.

To answer your query, Hellhawk, you’re dealing with losing 3% of say a million dollars as opposed to an 77% increase on 1000 dollars, to use arbitrary numbers.

Kinda related:
http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/06/14/weird-al-yankovic-says-digital-is-a-raw-deal-for-some-artists/

P2P is a hydra: You cut one head, two spring up in it’s place.

Yes, BearShare and WinMX shut down. So what? Soulseek still exists, as does eDonkey and eMule and Ares and a thousand other programs, there are torrent trackers by the hundreds which are oddly resilient to lawsuits (PirateBay is still there even after the whole OMGTHETHOUGHTPOLICEGOTTHEM) and IRC hasn’t even been touched. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, how on earth is that under control?

To tell the truth, offering paid music downloads was the best thing the music industry ever did. While file sharing isn’t lessening, it also isn’t growing, which is impressive given that internet usage is growing. If anything, it shows that the RIAA’s stupid tactic of suing people hasn’t worked, whereas this has, even though the RIAA had to be dragged kicking and screaming into it.

I’d personally have no problem if illegal music sharing was entirely gone. Since Puretracks.ca started, I haven’t used any filesharing network to get music. It’s cheap (half the price of a CD), efficient, easy to use, and you don’t have to worry about uploaded viruses or dead slow connections.

Yeah, I find this part especially funny. You know if they’re talking comparitive percentages rather than actual numbers that something is up.

The article actually provided a nice little chart with number of albums. Digital sales up 10.3 mil, album sales down 6.9 mil.

I agree with Cid on this one. From that perspective, the article makes perfect sense. More new PC users are learning about iTunes, Napster, or Rhapsody than are learning about Ares, Limewire, or BitTorrent. Advanced users and people who remember old Napster will keep file sharing, but the new users have affordable ways to do it legally.

Seems reminescent of <a href=“http://homepage.mac.com/brianflemming/iblog/images/bush_aircraft_carrier_photo.jpg”>something I’ve seen before.</a>

At the end of the day, they’re all listening to shitty music, so no big deal.

Of course, any music on a label is shit and not indie-cool, non-sellout, supermusic right?

Of course. And, if an indie-band signs with a label, their music is suddenly uncool, even if they’re playing the same song. -_-

I’m personally declaring victory over New Zealand. Because I feel like it.

They’ve accomplished what they set out to do sure, keep alive a dying industry, it’s too bad it doesn’t do much but make our lives miserable and the music more expensive. I hate DRM. I can’t buy music online and listen to it simply because I don’t run Windows or own a bleeding Mac.

edit: errrrrr
wrong thread. durrrrrrrrr my bad. I dont know what p2p is

Come on, they d/l New Order.

RIAA did it. Kids don’t do the bad stuff no more :hahaha; ::doh::