Revamped PS2

:hyperven:

:hyperven:

Bleh. I find most of that pretty stupid. If I want music, I’ll listen to it on my stereo or CD player; if I want to burn movies, I’ll buy a DVD burner - it’d be cheaper. Putting in all these extra features just ramps up the price while giving it things I could probably get cheaper.

And I don’t like how it doesn’t use memory cards anymore. While it’s nice and convenient to save it all on your PS2 without worrying about having enough space and buying new cards, how do you move old saves onto the PS2 or bring info, like saved characters or custom levels, to somebody else’s PS2?

Yeah, and what about my PSX stuff? PSX games go haywire if you try to save/load from a PS2 memory card. I doubt this will fix the situation- hell, I think this will kill backwards compatibility. If it does, there’s no chance I’ll ever get one. I don’t care what they add to it.

While this may be my dream of having the ability to use your own songs in games come true, it doesn’t seem like it would have a lot of benefits over the PS2 when you add in the possible downsides. Doesn’t the PSX (the original one) play music as a CD player anyway?

Yeah, it does.

Originally posted by Kagon
Yeah, and what about my PSX stuff? PSX games go haywire if you try to save/load from a PS2 memory card. I doubt this will fix the situation- hell, I think this will kill backwards compatibility. If it does, there’s no chance I’ll ever get one. I don’t care what they add to it.

Uh, the PS2 cards are for storage, not actual saving and loading. You save to a PS1 card then move it over in the browser, then move it back when you need to.

Is it just me, or is Sony coming closer and closer to evolving the Playstation line into a PC?

Yeah, I know Frame. I’m saying that if this new PS2 uses the same principals when it runs PSX games, it’d be impossible for you to save in them. They want to read a memory card (in this case the hard drive) as only having 15 slots. If you can’t use your cards, you’re screwed.

I’m waiting to buy a new one for when Sony unveils the version of the PS2 that acts as a toaster, an astrolabe, AND an increasingly mediocre game system, all in one! Due out in limited quantities in July!

I think I’d avoid that, Merl.

O_O
Oh my God… A new reign of terror…
First the Sega Saturn fiasco, now this…

HEY! I liked the Sega Saturn!

Yeah! The Saturn was simply underrated! It was a system worthy of the PSX’s level of popularity, but was simply drowned out of the market due to Sony and Sega’s reliance of very complicated technology.

The problem was its reliance on a battery that had to be replaced once a year, in order to storesaved files. The catch was, replacing the battery would erase them. That’s what went wrong.

Didn’t they have memory carts themselves?

Supposedly yes, but their capacity was VERY limited…