Return of the King Thread time!

So. Fucking. AWESOME!!!

Stop posting here and go see it if you haven’t done so already.

There was this guy near me in the theater who hadn’t seen the first two and never read the books, so he had no idea what was going on. All of a sudden at the Shelob(sp?) scene he goes “What the hell is this!? No one likes spiders!”

I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried.

Originally posted by Karlemagne
Just got back from seeing it. It was not that great. they put in too much stuff, and left out too much stuff. And there was way too much homoerotic hobbit undertone. booooo I say, boooo.

I noticed the homo hobbit stuff too! Haw, good to see I’m not alone.

Anyways, I’m not big on long long fight scenes, which I feel was pretty much what I got out of Return of the King. The fight scenes are all a pretty big blur anyways, which is what real combat is supposedly like (according to authors that try to write battles in a blur, like Robert Jordan), but that doesn’t work for movies. It was boring.

The movie was ok. I’d probly never watch it again.

I can’t remember a time where I actually physically shed a tear during a film (I’ve gotten emotional many times probably), but man, when all the people at Aragorn’s coronation bowed to the hobbits I just couldn’t keep one tear from trickling down my cheek…

That was probably the best climatic movie I’ll ever see in my life, or for at least the next 20-30 years. God bless you Peter Jackson. God bless you indeed.

Go see this. NOW.

That movie was beautiful.
So many parts I would have cried at, if only I wasn’t surrounded by asshole guys that would taunt me about it :\

I never read the books, but I though the movie was beautiful.

I went to see it at 11:00pm on Wednesday night, but it was all sold out.

Saw The Last Samurai instead, and it was incredibly worth it.

Sin and I saw it with a bunch of people on wednesday night in San Francisco… it started at midnight, we had been driving all day, and I knew we would only get 3-4 hrs of sleep that night, but it was well worth it. A worthy ending to an awesome trilogy :slight_smile:

I really want to go see it. I finished the books a few years back, and I want tickets to this movie. Unfortunately my parents are broke right.

You’re a girl. This is when guys come in handy.

I just can’t get excited about these movies.

I just came back from it.

This is without a doubt one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. There were a number of times when I came close to tears, and one time a tear did slip out of my eye.

Aside from the ending, which dragged a bit, I thought ROTK was excellent. Peter Jackson has plain and simple outdone himself in making the LOTR trilogy.

Just got back from seeing it. One word: R0XX0R!

Those zombie ghosts were pretty fuckign sqweetttt

Saw it last night. Started at 22:00. Woo. And I was impressed with the ending; I thought it would’ve ended up in a snap-like snap after the Ring is destroyed.

Now I can safely boycott movies for the rest of the year ;>

How can I say this? I enjoyed the movie very much, but at the same time was immensely dissapointed. And the movie was hardly 100% faithful. Why did they add the part where Gollum turned Frodo against Sam? Aside from implying the power the Ring was exhibiting over Frodo (which could have been done without the addition) it added nothing.
And no one was supposed to know that Eowyn went with the Riders of Rohan to Minas Tirith, making the “I am no man.” line that much better. I am greatly dissapointed in the portayal of Eowyn throughout the series; in the books there was a sense of coldness about her until she fell in love with Faramir. I imagine part of the reason that this wasn’t the case in the movie is that it could be seen as sexist.
Aragorn had a small force with him when he took the path under the mountain, not just Legolas and Gimli. Weren’t there also at some point around there the forest folk or whoever they were?
While I hope that many of the missing pieces will be included in the extended version, I am irritated by the abscence of the Scouring of the Shire.

Originally posted by demigod

Why did they add the part where Gollum turned Frodo against Sam? Aside from implying the power the Ring was exhibiting over Frodo (which could have been done without the addition) it added nothing.

I thought it kinda added to the bond between Frodo and Sam. Not only does it show Sam’s unswerving loyalty and Gollum’s subtle, trecherous mind but also how spent Frodo was from carrying the burden.

And no one was supposed to know that Eowyn went with the Riders of Rohan to Minas Tirith, making the “I am no man.” line that much better. I am greatly dissapointed in the portayal of Eowyn throughout the series; in the books there was a sense of coldness about her until she fell in love with Faramir. I imagine part of the reason that this wasn’t the case in the movie is that it could be seen as sexist.

True. I also think that they could have made her just another soldier until the very end.

Aragorn had a small force with him when he took the path under the mountain, not just Legolas and Gimli. Weren’t there also at some point around there the forest folk or whoever they were?

There simply wasn’t time. While adding Ghan-buri-Ghan and his crew would have been interesting, the movie was already running at its 100% time limit, and they would have had to cut some other parts, and I simply can’t think of any parts I’d like cut :stuck_out_tongue:

While I hope that many of the missing pieces will be included in the extended version, I am irritated by the abscence of the Scouring of the Shire.

Again, they have a certain time limit. I’m pretty sure the scouring will be in the extended version.

This is without a doubt the second best film I’ve ever seen (Donnie Darko being no. 1), a great way to end the trilogy. It was very moving, one of the very few times a movie made me shed a tear.

Apparently, the extended DVD will have over 1 hour and 10 minutes worth of extra footage, so it should show Gandalf destroying Saruman’s staff and also the scouring of the shire. Hopefully it’ll show more of Sam and Frodo in Mordor too.

Well im oing to see it this thuesday so im very exited just one question:What exactly is The scouring of the shire

Must…see…this…movie…sooon…

Scouring of the Shire: The scouring of the Shire is when, at the end of the books, the Hobbits return to the Shire to find out Saruman has taken over. They fight and expel Saruman.

Good movie. Better than the first two. BUT DAMN THE ENDING.

I’m now waiting on The Hobbit to be made into a movie.