Responsibility

I’ve been up since 2am (woken by a fever) and just got back from my final, there’s no way I’m in my normal state of mind, so I figured this’d be the perfect time to post something random.

When I was leaving the building I’d taken my final in something happened that annoyed me a bit. The building is fairly small…it has a central section with a clock tower and two wings perpendicular to this main section. In the center of it is this beautiful patio with wooden benches and gardens. Well, two of the flowering trees that hang over the stairs that lead down to the paths that wind around campus are in full bloom. The ground is covered in a layer of absolutely beautiful pink petals. So, as I’m standing there admiring the magnificent trees in the first sunbeams that managed to break through the overcast skies today, two lades exit the building and come walking towards the stairs. I overheard them talking - instead of commenting on the verdance all around them, the one thing I heard was “Someone’s going to slip and fall on these things” (it had rained some last night, and the ground was still damp).

She said it as if it were the university’s fault.

This just goes to show how ingrained the lack of a sense of responsibility is in this country. Isn’t it simple? Some irresponsible guy fifty years back planted some magnificent trees on the campus, so of course it’s not some inattentive lady’s fault if she can’t follow where her own two damn feet are going.

Where does this stupidity stem from? I know many people say we are a much too litigious (probably spelled wrong…you know what I mean) society, but I had thought stupid lawsuits were a fairly recent phenomenon. These ladies were not…fairly recent…to say the least. “Aging” would be the kindest way to describe them. I could understand their comments if they came from people raised in the McStupid society of today, but their age suggests that the infectious irresponsibility I’m complaining about comes from at least fifty years ago. When did responsibility become an issue solely for the courts?

When in America’s past did fairness go too far?

well, you’re lucky…my school defines idiocy.

Jesus… that’s kinda sad. Is it that hard to walk around the flowers?

Gah…sounds almost as bad as my school. Teachers get all anal if you so much as accidentally put your foot over a milimetre of grass, claiming we’re ‘desecrating school enviroments’ blah blah blah…and yet you hafta if you wanna get to class on time, which is another thing they’re anal bout! Jesus…you can’t win!

Well… it’s not that recent that people were suing other people for stuff. It’s just recently that they’re WINNING. -_- It’s human nature to try to blame somebody else for stuff you do. Not everyone is mature enough to take the blame all the time. Recently this has come to an extreme, but it’s not a new phenomenon in the least.

Yeah, it may not be new, but it’s still incredibly stupid.

I know people don’t like to blame themselves for thier own stupidity, but it kinda gets me that they can use said stupidity to extort money from others.

It’s because people are too big assholes when ot comes to admitting that they’re wrong, and always find time to point out faults in everything around them. :frowning: Good god, people, lighten up! Stop to smell the roses!

Maybe we need the don’t-sue-people-Panda to put in a repeat performance :wink:

I just remember a line from one of Michel Jackson’s songs: “… that’s why I’m starting with the man in the mirror…”

Yeah, but, Michael Jackson said it! He’s a BAD GUY! Cuz he’s, um, weird, and stuff. And he looks weird. That makes him BAD!

And that means that anything he says or advises is BAD! too.

Which means that starting with the man in the mirror is BAD! Which means that pointing the finger elsewhere is good!

This concludes todays demonstration of Newthink.

Lets forget who sang it, I’m talking about the song, not the albino android.

Originally posted by Seraphim Ephyon
Lets forget who sang it, I’m talking about the song, not the albino android.

He was joking.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Well… it’s not that recent that people were suing other people for stuff. It’s just recently that they’re WINNING.

Nope, though the media publicizes the most outrageous lawsuits that people win, what they don’t tell you is that the vast majority of ridiculous lawsuits are thrown out. Often the judge sticks the plaintiff with fines for contempt of court since they have wasted the courts time. Also remember that a lot of the lawsuits people hear about are nothing more than urban legends.

Talking about how much people suck just wears you down eventually, because we’re all people, and we all suck in the same ways.

I will blame myself for everything. I will apologize for being born, women’s sufferage, racial and religious prejudice, the hole in the ozone layer, and every single shitty thing in the world. In fact, while I’m thinking about it, I’m sorry I made this post.

Things like those make me lose my faith in humankind.

I don’t mean to be prejudicial, but I refuse to accept that people who do and say stupid stuff like everything that’s been commented here are normal. The girl in the first post should be in a sanitarium to recover from her egocentrism.

As for the suing, I think ridiculous suing should be considered a crime, with at least 5 years in jail for it as minimum sentence.

Lately, lawsuits for trivial and downright stupid things have become far too common. One that sticks in my mind is an asylum seeker in England who sued because of ‘stress’ whilst waiting for the verdict on whether or not he could stay.

He won about £40 000 I think. And all of it was taxpayers’ money.

In fact, in England anyways, the entire legal system is currently a big fat joke. When criminals are able to sue their victims for damages incurred during said crime, you know it’s all gone too far. No one gives a flying feck about the victim anymore - in my opinion, when a person decides to break the law, particularly when someone innocent is wronged in the process, they lose any rights they had beforehand.

But, alas, I’m not in charge of the legal system. If I were, paedophiles wouldn’t get second chances and nice new houses right next to schools full of children whose parents have no idea that a sick, twisted person could be watching their every move. Burglars wouldn’t be able to sue their victims because they twisted an ankle when they were climbing the fence with a sackful of stolen goodies on their back. Asylum seekers wouldn’t be able to complain about their treatment here in the UK on a newsreport featuring them sitting in their cushy, free apartment with their free TVs and free DVD players and their free stereos cranked up loud in the background, all paid for courtesy of the earnest, working taxpayer, of course.

I’m a very bitter person at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by LunarCry
[b]Lately, lawsuits for trivial and downright stupid things have become far too common. One that sticks in my mind is an asylum seeker in England who sued because of ‘stress’ whilst waiting for the verdict on whether or not he could stay.

He won about £40 000 I think. And all of it was taxpayers’ money.[/b]

I almost pissed myself laughing when I heard that. I bet he wouldn’t have got away with that in his home country :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: In fact, come to think of it, I wish he’d have tried now, it’d have been a good laugh, anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why I’m glad I live in an artificial society like RPGC. If something goes wrong, it is always ALWAYS… Maz’s fault.