Requesting some history help

Now normally I don’t bother posting this on the boards (only PARTLY because I don’t wanna look like Setz >.>) but I do need a good grade on this and post-WWII isn’t quite my forte in history. On the contrary.

I need to compare and contrast the political and economic effects of the Cold War on Western Europe with the effects on Eastern Europe. Most of what I know (and is in my rather crappy book) is bits and pieces, so yeah, can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Do you need places to find information or are you looking at us to give you this information?

That sounds like an IB paper, in which case my heart goes out to you.

Wikipedia is a start yo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War

Either’s fine, preferably the latter. I’m sifting through Cold War material but finding little, I just need some basic facts on the topic that I can elaborate on.

for the effects on Western Europe your best sources are probably to look at the use of NATO in the post-Cold War world (since its creation was originally designed to buttress against the USSR)

Starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nato#Post-Cold_War

A good case study might be Germany, which has gone from a nation literally divided by the Cold War to one of the most powerful nations in Western Europe, and really the dividing line between Western and Eastern Europe:

For Eastern Europe, first of all is Russia included? Some people count Russia distinct from the rest. If it is then you should look at the development of democracy followed by the rise of essentially authoritarianism under Putin.

What academic level are you at? I can give you some book suggestions for Eastern Europe but it’s really more of a late-college reading level.

Other good case studies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia#Breakup (if you’re focusing on ethnicity this is the best one to use)

You’re really supposed to find these things yourselves, you know.

There’s one thing you should do, and before anyone beats you to it: go book shopping at the local library and pick up anything interesting on western and eastern Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, France, Poland, and maybe the United Kingdom and Scandinavia. What you’ll want to do is skim through them, mark any interesting passages, and, well, work from there.

Did you hear about the speach Truman(was it ) gave that spoke about an iron curtian descending Europe? I know alot about history, but unless you honestly say youve heard of such a novelty fact, you should be able to do this fine.

Now for the cold war, It was nothing but America trying to extinguish Communism, and to save Democracy. If you know about 100+ facts even on either 3 of these topics, you should be fine, and draw some of your own conclusions.

& no one ask me to type anymore, I’m lazy right now. Besides, id probably spil too many beans, and wind up writing his essay for him.

Did you even read my question? And it was Churchill, not Truman. Lordo.

“Democracy” under Yeltsin mainly consisted of allowing a tiny handful of people to take advantage of the political chaos of the early nineties, steal the wealth and assets of the country, and sell them abroad, while claiming to be democratic reformers. All of those supposed “democratic” politicians revealed themselves to be so corrupt and hypocritical that 99% of the Russian public hates them, and with good cause. The only reason why the West (Europe does this even more than America) makes noises about Putin’s alleged “authoritarianism” is because he put a stop to this totally unhinged looting, and tries to pursue an independent national policy, instead of letting NATO and OSCE dictate to him. Russia is not much less democratic than the rest of Europe, when you consider things like the new national identification measures proposed in the British Parliament.

I wouldn’t go that far in describing the nascent Russian democracy, but we are getting there :wink:
There are still too many schemes involving abuse and corruption of the courts, law-enforcement apparatuses, and even of the national legislature.

Just a glimpse of the new reality of Russian economy:
http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/tncs/mergers/russian.htm

“There is much manipulation in the courts and law enforcement,”…. “It is a kind of corporate, partly criminal system - a legal marriage between business and power.”
Sounds almost like Amerikka :wink:

I meant to put Russia’s democracy in air-quotes, there never really was democracy in Russia following the end of the Cold War. I don’t really have a problem with Putin, but it is borderline authoritarianism.

Politruk Merlin,.
President Putin was reelected in 2004 in a "free and fair” electoral process, according to international observation mission run by the OSCE’s Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights.
Granted, there was a one-sided campaigning for Putin by Russian television channels, most of which are state owned.
If Putin decides to change Russian constitution so he could run for a third term, that could signal the end of the embryonic Russian democracy. For now, it’s a democracy with a charismatic quasy-totalitarian leader.

Is World War II the one with Hitler or Merlin?

Not that OSCE has any authority whatsoever to decide whether anybody’s elections are free or not, considering the ridiculous double standards that it applies to countries that don’t follow Europe’s bidding (which includes Russia a lot of the time).

But all of the things Putin is accused of doing would never even raise an eyebrow if they were done by a European country, and similarly, if Putin ever even tried to do some of the things that European countries do on a regular basis, hysteria would ensue from all the self-appointed guardians of “democracy.”

well yeah, Europe’s always treated Russia like the uncle no one talks about. Even before Peter the Great. No matter how hard leaders or culture have tried.

While I find wikipedia useful for stuff I want to know about, I would generally restrain from using it in any form of academic work. I suggest going to the library and asking them if they have any peer reviewed material or databases to look through. They contain the most reliable information.

Just write “fuck the commies,” draw a picture of Uncle Sam impaling Stalin with an American flag, and put an eagle in the background for good measure.

That’s really all we need to remember about the Cold War anyway.