Remember the Ten Commandments in teh courthouse? Well here's an update.

Oh, right, my mistake.

Even the <b><i><h3>TENN COMANDDMINTS!!!11111</h3></i></b> are based on something :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
Even the <b><i><h3>TENN COMANDDMINTS!!!11111</h3></i></b> are based on something :stuck_out_tongue:

mmm mints

About the bible thing, they haven’t gotten rid of it per se; it’s still the default swearing in method, but I believe if you say that you have beliefs conflicting or something, they’ll take another, non-religious oath and the Judge will instruct the jury to interpret it as equivalent.

“Really, if you read them, you realize that I think, all of them have a place in our legal system. So there.”

Are you kidding me? The very first commandment says “I am the Lord your God, and you shall have no other gods before me.” That alone has no place in our legal system whatsoever. And the commandments that do have counterparts in our legal system (don’t kill, don’t steal, don’t bear false witness) aren’t inventions of the Old Testament, but are derived from common societal ethics that were invented long before then.

“The fact that the Declaration is rhetorical rather than legal doesn’t change it’s historical value any more than a relative lack of creativity in the subjects of the Ten Commandments negates it’s value.”

No, but it completely destroys the notion that it, or the mention of “Nature’s God” that it contains, is the legal basis for anything. The basis for American law is the Constitution, and ultimately, only the Constitution.

“I’m pretty sure that the framers of our laws against murder, for example, and perjury, were Christians, not Bhuddists or Confucians.”

Some were Deists or atheists, but that doesn’t really matter. Even if they were all devout Christians and went to church 40 times a day, which they were not, for some reason they made it so that the basis of American law - the Constitution - does not rely on god in the slightest. All of our laws are based on the Constitution, which is why it is known as the highest law of the land, and it happens to be secular. American law answers only to the Constitution, and the Constitution answers to the people and not to god. Therefore, Buddhism is just as relevant to American law as Christianity.

D Galloway, jury selction is done by the attourney’s, and they want someone who can make a judgment based upon the evidence presented, and not based upon other things. Some people who have devout religious views might think they can make a non-biased judgement, but really cant. When i went for jury duty selection, i had the honor of sitting next to a an over zealous JW(Jehovah’s Witness), who stood up and started preaching how it was wrong to sit in judgement on another human being, and then started quoting bible verses. The Judge patiently waited for him to finish before dismissing him. I wasnt selected because my old man is a cop. If you have a family memeber who is a cop, or are close friends with one, your chances of being selected for jury duty are slim as well.

Getting back on topic… i cant think of anyhting els to say…

He was dismissed not because he was religious, but because it was obvious that his religious views would interfere with his neccessary impartial judgement.