Remember that thread Sorcerer opened about patriotism?

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian
Democracy killed Socrates. This is a republic.

The US is a Representative Democracy.

EDIT: I just read that page, and I’m insulted by the implication at the end. Screw political correctness. I’m not about insulting people unjustifiably, but I’m not going to prance about worrying about their feelings. And I still mourn the loss of the word gay. Happy conotation? Dude, it has become a standard middle-school insult with no connection to its original meaning.

Originally posted by demigod
The US is a Representative Democracy.

It’s a republic. Representative democracy and indirect democracy are terms coined by those that know we aren’t a democracy but want to claim we are anyway. They’re just alternate terms for republic that try to sound all goody goody by having democracy in the name.

Democracy is overrated, it gives stupid people too much power.

Originally posted by Megaman984
It’s a republic. Representative democracy and indirect democracy are terms coined by those that know we aren’t a democracy but want to claim we are anyway. They’re just alternate terms for republic that try to sound all goody goody by having democracy in the name.
Huh? A constitutional republic is just a type of democracy, so the distinction is really not that big a deal. Every single branch of our government gets its power, ultimately, from the consent of the majority. There’s no such thing as a completely “direct democracy,” but that doesn’t mean that democracy doesn’t exist anywhere.

I don’t think I would have been able to live in the USA. I’m too anti-patriotic, and too anti-countries. Go the United Nations!

And no nation today can rightfully call itself a democracy. People are too selfish for that, they’re mobocracies: Where everyone fights for themselves instead of finding the best solution for everyone.

Originally posted by Nulani
And no nation today can rightfully call itself a democracy. People are too selfish for that, they’re mobocracies: Where everyone fights for themselves instead of finding the best solution for everyone.

That’s not why there aren’t any true democracies, it’s more the fact that a true democracy is impractical due to the size of most countries. It requires that EVERY citizen vote on political issues, such as the creation of laws. Most “democratic” countries have a legislature of some sort to deal with that. If you actually had to have every citizen together to vote on each law proposed, imagine how inefficient it would be.
Besides, since when has the definition of any form of government required the rule makers to do what is in the best interest of the country, as opposed to their favorite interest.

It is part of the reason. If you take Aristoteles definition of democracy as foundation, which I did. The rest of the reason is what you mentioned, which in sense means today’s so called democratic nations are oligarchies: Rule of the few.

And it has since Aristoteles’ times.

All kinds government have a good and a bad form.
<table border=“1”>
<tr>
<td>
Monarchy
</td>
<td>
Aristocrathy.
</td>
<td>
Democracy
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Tyranny.
</td>
<td>
Oligarchy
</td>
<td>
Mobocracy
</td>
</tr>
</table>

A nation is grouped into the lower table is the, let’s call them, ruling classes are selfish.

Just ignore the table looking silly.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
Instead of just saying “scientific theory” and pretending that that doesn’t mean anything, you should set yourself straight on what a theory actually means in practice. A “theory” isn’t just anything you can come up with, though it’s convenient for people who know nothing about how rigourous the scientific method really is to pretend that that’s so. A “theory” doesn’t even come into existence until it has passed tests set by the scientific method. It is inevitably backed by scientific evidence. An old theory like evolution has been around for years, and credible evidence for it continues to mount. Otherwise, scientists would already have rejected it a long time ago.
I know the difference between “theory” in the societal sense and the scientific sense. Scientific theories are “best guesses” based on accumulated evidence. Using the scientific method, the Geocentric theory and the theory that objects fall at different rates can be “proven.” I was just saying that evolution and the Big Bang are being taught as irrefutable fact, like something like Pearl Harbor or the ratification of the Bill of Rights.
But like I said, a different topic.

Originally posted by Steve
I don’t do the pledge, but this whole “OMG DEY SED GOD LEZ KILL IT OLZOLZOLZ” thing is horse shit. It’s voluntary, just like prayer in school. They don’t say you HAVE to stand for it, they just ask that you do.

Eh, I HAVE to. Otherwise they beat me. (send me to office)

When I got in trouble for it, the issue was that I wasn’t standing, not reciting. I knew the code for my county - however I was surprised to learn that the code is not the same for a number of the other Georgia school systems in that a lot of them require students to stand, but not recite.

Yeah man, I live in the South too(Florida). Frickin’ conservative rednecks!!

Originally posted by ahkeeyuu
Yeah man, I live in the South too(Florida). Frickin’ conservative rednecks!!
Florida requires you to stand (unless you’re in a wheelchair or something), but you don’t have to recite.