Redeeming factors in bad games...

I have one, from an ancient PC game. One of those old ones that tried to use FMV on pre-rendered screens, Lands of Lore 2.

It was cheesey, and I suppose the graphics were good for its time, the plot felt forced, and it was hard finding out what the hell you were supposed to be doing, not a good thing when some stages were mazes with death traps.

But, I found the characters likeable, even the FMVed ones, particularly the main one. He started out so wussy, but after you got past a nearly part, he started getting a cynical, playful attitude, alignment non-withstanding.

Just my own contribution.

Does God of War count? Kratos is modestly sociopathic.

Madworld comes to mind as more sociopathic. And Uncharted (2).

If we’re talking about sociopathy, games where the main character doesn’t have a set personality have the greatest potential for this. Like blowing up an entire town because an old man thinks it’s an eyesore.

As for redeeming factors in bad games… I’m not sure. I tend to be pretty forgiving of games, unless I absolutely hate them. And a lot of times it’s not that they’re “bad games,” it’s just that I have different taste. For example, Disgaea is way too grindy for me, but it has interesting characters and fairly good voice acting. I just can’t play a game that involves that much micromanagement.

Okay, I’ll give it a shot. FFV is not a good game by any stretch of the imagination. It has a bad script, forgettable characters, and it’s way too easy. But the job system is damned fun! That’s about the only thing that gets me to replay it. I have a save right after the Wind crystal because I honestly find the game unbearable to play without jobs. I know it’s like thirty minutes into the game, but I still kept turning it off because it was putting me to sleep. <_<;

One of the best things about FFV is the 1000 and 1 ways to utterly demolish the game. You could play through it 10 different times wherein each run is simply broken into the ground yet still be completely different from your previous runs.

Whereas a game like FFVIII pales in comparison due to the fact that you only have two ways to break the game (and only one of those ways is required to beat the game).

Yes and yes. Ah, the days of my youth… Just like the scent of fresh lemon. I loaded a save I had somewhere and my lv. 4 character got killed again by a large scorpion, which is probably the game’s first boss. I probably used up all my grind points on Ark:ark: back then.

Glenton, supposedly LoL 1 was the high point of the series and I remember a review that considered LoL 3 better than the second installment. Never played them myself, but you may want to look for them.

I actually played LoL1. It was interesting, but in the end, it was a typical RPG for that era. Mazes hard to get lost in, hard to find objects. Typical early Might and Magic or Bard’s Tale fare. At least the world’s backstory was interesting.

But, it is interesting that you said the third game was better then the second, since all the reviews I read gave it scores so low, it could beat Gumby in a limbo contest.

I don’t remember his rationale, but his critiques are generally sound. He’s arguably the best rpg/adventure reviewer in Greece (he’s been reviewing for something like two decades).

A real bad game has no redeaming qualitys.

Legend of Dragoon is proof of that.

Legend of Dragoon does get better later in the game. Especially once it ditches its focus on the loser main character to Rose (who is by far and away the best character in the game).

But outside of that it was a bad game.

Oh, I just remembered what really made me laugh about Legend of Dragoon. It’s the end of the first disc, and your main character who’s a spiky-haired blonde with a brunette childhood friend/girlfriend, along with the rest of their ragtag crew, watches in shock as one of them is killed off right in front of their eyes by the silverhaired swordsman villain in black.

Sometimes, ripoffs are so blatant that they’re hilarious.

I didn’t like Dragoon cause of its skimp XP (you only lvled at bosses…Lame!!!), retarded ripoff of a battle system, and just an overall moronic ripoff of a storyline. I may get it again just so I’ll be cemented in my opinion of its suckage because I hear all the time that its a good game and I think… Were they playing the same game I played?

Drizzt Do’Urden killed a guy’s girlfriend?

Yea much like Seperoth killed Aeris, or how Kefka killed General Leo, you know same exact tried and true formulas…
Dragoon was also made by Sony, same juggernaut that makes PSX. We all know they were trying to cash in on FF’s fame… I think its funny how people say FF8 is a terrible game… DID YOU PLAY DRAGOON???

Dragoon just tilts over in “so bad it’s good” territory for me. :smiley:

“Dragon? That’s not a dragon, that’s a huge freaky goldfish!”

I’ll give it one more chance.
Although I know its a bad game, it might have some funny moments…