Recommend me some good PC games

As I’ve finally gotten a machine that can actually run something heavier than pong, It’s high time I get to play whatever I have missed in the last… how long has it been since a 200MHz Pentium II became obsolete? Well, since then.

I’m particularly looking for games in the area of Baldur’s Gate/Icewind Dale and Civilization. Strategy, construction, role playing, etc. MMORPGs are an absolute no.

I’ve already gone through all of Maxis’ Sim Whatever and Sid Meier’s Civilization 4 (I fail to see what they improved over Civ 2). Yes, I’ve heard about Spore.

Shoot.

Half Life 2, HL2 episode 1 and when it comes out probably this summer, Episode 2. Spore is coming out soon as well.

Doom 3’s an interesting shooter but it gets a little redundant so its not as good as Half Life 2.

Warcraft III’s a disapointment imo.

The KOTOR games?

KotoR 1. Don’t play 2. KotoR 2 is a game that wished it was KotoR 1 but they took out an ending (dark side? light side? like 1? haha! you get neither) and character development. The game is overall more tedious and feels less rewarding.

I played both, KoToR 2 is missed potential incarnate, but I’m pretty sure that the fan community has modded back most stuff that was cut.

Starcraft (can’t believe nobody said that one). System Shock 2, Dues Ex, Thief 3, Age of Empires II (although III is out, I haven’t played it).

Ehh… thank you but just to clarify, the pong thing was a joke. I’m not THAT out of the loop. I’ve played Diablo 2, Baldur’s Gate 2 and contemporary games that now that I think about it more often than not have a “2” in the name. But that’s about as far as I got.

I did hear AoEIII kinda sucks though.

It hasn’t.

Battlefield 2142, Company of Heroes, and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

It does, don’t bother. I loved AoE2, i played it more than SC, and AoE3 is just trash :frowning:

I’d second Half Life and SC…HL2 + EP1 if you can run it. Morrowind too. Also, have you played Cave Story? Its not “mainstream” (hella popular though).

Call of Duty 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted. Okay, these don’t fit the category you mentioned so well, but hey, they’re fun anyway!

And keep an eye open for Spore.

Actually, I just checked, and it HAS. It’s just hasn’t been made public yet because of stability issues etc, but the content part of the mod is done.

Ah, thanks for reminding me, I wanted to ask about this. I know that “The Elder Scrolls” is a saga of games… and that’s it. I’ve heard very good things about Morrowind but I’m pretty anal about playing things in order, so I wanted to know if there is any reason for playing previous titles (Story, Content, etc) and if so, what other titles should I look into

The Heroes of Might and Magic series, it’s up to V now, but III is also great.

The games at Spiderweb Software. The graphics aren’t top-notch, but the gameplay is honestly amazing. And the nice thing is that you can try the demos so if you don’t like the games, you haven’t wasted any money. But if you’re looking for solid RPGs that aren’t mind-numbingly long, definitely give these games a look.

Skip IV. Please.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Warcraft II is a fucking amazing game, btw, but the third installment turned the series from “gritty war with bloodthirsty orcs” to hippie, pussified fantasy crap.

If you like FPS games, I suggest Battlefield 1942 (if only for the free Desert Combat mod) and Team Fortress Classic, a mod for Half-Life 1.

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is the king of tycoon games. In fact, I think you can download it for free because it’s so old.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 is the only PC game I’ve beat 4 separate times. Not the most challenging RTS game, but certainly one of the most entertaining.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is another badass RTS game, as is Company of Heroes.

Dear god please play Deus Ex (the first one). The graphics look like total shit, but it’s one of the best games ever made for the PC.

Dungeon Keeper II is also a blast. Basically you build a dungeon, staff it with hellspawn-type creatures, and kill the good guys. You can also possess your creatures and walk around in first person. If you like DKII, check out Evil Genius, which is the same type of game, only you build an underground base and fight off James Bond types.

More as I think of them.

Medieval II: Total War definitely. It’s a nice mix of RTS and empire construction a la Civ games.

I played through most of HoMM IV. I liked it a lot despite a few ridiculous campaigns. It has the best soundtrack of the series up to IV (I have yet to play V).I didn’t like some of the graphics in some places, it felt out of place. I also liked III’s combat better. How IS V?