Ratings

It is to my knowledge that FF7-10 are teen games…I believe. What about the games before that? What were they rated? I don’t remember seeing one of those icons on the boxes before saying if it was for everyone, or K-A, etc.

That’s because there were no ESRB ratings back then. Games weren’t rated at all. But I’m sure they would have gotten an E rating (the games were specifically dumbed down and censored, if you recall).

Indeed that’s a likely reason.

I can confirm that FF1 doesn’t have a rating. I bought the game many years ago but it just so happens I kept the box in good condition.

Well, it wasnt’ really necessary to have a rating system back in the day, because most systems like SNES and Genesis were geared towards little kids. It really wasn’t until Playstation that the gaming market opened up to “older folk” and a distinction between mature and juvenile games had to be made.

Not quite. It was actually the advent of games like Mortal Kombat for the SNES and Genesis that started the movement towards rating games. I believe they started being rated in 1995 or so, though I could be wrong.

…Come to think of it, I think SoE got an E rating, and that came out after FF6, I think. -_- Now I’m not sure any more. But I can assure you that they didn’t get a T rating if they got rated at all. I remember what a big deal it was that FF7 was rated Teen. 8p “An RPG for people who aren’t chibi-sized? WHAT?”

Yup, Secret of Evermore got an E rating (actually, a “K-A” rating, which is what E ratings were called back in the day).

FF7 was the first FF to be rated. Also, it’s interesting to note that all FF games are rated Teen except FFTA, which has an E rating. Well, and the FF8 demo that came with Brave Fencer Musashi. That one got an M rating…

But I don’t put much weight in the ESRB. They generally do a horrible job rating games.

Amen.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
That’s because there were no ESRB ratings back then. Games weren’t rated at all. But I’m sure they would have gotten an E rating (the games were specifically dumbed down and censored, if you recall).

Custer’s Revenge!

Censorship in all its forms is wrong and unconstitutional.