Race Speech

You’re misinterpreting what he meant. He isn’t saying that disowning the pastor would be disowning the black community, he is saying that he can’t disown him for the same reason he can’t disown the community.

Huh? What’s the difference?

ABC News heard about some of the remarks and went through transcripts and video searching for it. They only reported the facts they discovered. That’s the media’s job.

If it was McCain I would listen to them. Being black doesn’t give me a degree in race relations. If someone gives a comprehensive and persuasive argument about a subject, I don’t care how they look.

See, if it was a local election I would agree with you but I don’t Obama is the kind of guy who would believe so strongly in how the black church can influence his chances of winning a state-wide election. The black church is central in black communities for a lot reasons and it holds a lot of power but it’s not the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages; I don’t see Obama over-extending the power of the black church to get him elected and calculating that twenty years in church service, having yourself be married by a reverend in a particular church, having that person bring you to your faith.

Gah, it’s just such a cynical assessment and any benefit from it seems too little.

I don’t know anyone who would have called Obama a douche for “disowning” Wright. Not a one. Black. White. Purple.

Obama is saying that he’s not going to disown his pastor for a few fiery comments in the same way that he’s not going to disown the black community because there are some people or influences in it that he may not like.

P.S. Yes this whole situation is bs

SUPER P.S. screw this i’m going back to the Hello All thread >:(

Super duper P.S.

Barack Obama is also saying:
Innnnnnnnnnn Honolulu, Hawaii, born and raised
In the classroom is where I spent most of my days
Gettin’ some contacts for mah political tools
Studyin’ some polysci inside o’ da schools
When a couple of guys
They were up to no good
Started a GOP campaign in the neighbourhood
I got into one little election
And my mom got annoyed
She said you’re moving in with your grandma in Illinois
I whistled for a convention
And when it got big
The banners said “sex burrito” and it had me in the shindig
And I said to myself, if anything, these peeps are Siefried and Roy
But then I thought, nah, yo home, to Illinois!
I pulled
Up to a prelim about '07 or ‘08
And I said to my manager, yo homes, please develop a platform which will convey my desire to appeal to a change in America, with emphasis on overcoming the racial barrier that silently but ubiquitously pervades the attitudes of everyday citizens, and getting Americans to recognize this problem in the first place; a too-leftist platform will not appeal to Americans, but a movement directed towards the currently underprivileged in this country will have an auspicious effect on the campaign’s progress as the war on Iraq has taken its toll upon the national treasury and has done little to narrow the rich-poor gap.
Looked at my republic, I was one of the boys
Sittin’ on the senate, as a Senator of Illinois

Oh, alright, now that makes sense, thanks. I was just too busy wondering how he was making the equivalent of his disowning the Reverend to disowning the black community to disowning his Grandmother who had racist tendencies.

But now it comes together.

applause I lol’d.

I think most of what he’s saying is pretty reasonable.