R.I.P. Syd Barret

Syd Barret, the original driving force for Pink Floyd, the man who coined the name, the man who spawned countless albums themed around his insanity released by the same band he left, has died, a couple days ago.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/11/britain.floyd/index.html

I’m sure many people who listen to only the popular Floyd would be asking “Who the fuck is Syd Barret?” but read the first sentence of this thread. He was the original guitarist and singer before David Gilmour came in. Infact, they got David Gilmour in because of Syd’s declining stability. They were going to keep him around just to write songs but even that didn’t work out. Many people would say David Gilmour or Roger Waters were the driving force behind the band, but without Mr. Barret, there probably wouldn’t have been a Pink Floyd.

Rest in peace. Or perhaps something more cheesy is in need here: Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I’m amazed he lived this long. :confused:

I was thinking of posting this, but you beat me to it.
He may or may not have been a major factor in Pink Floyd’s development, and for that he’s greater than the whole.
He was great, but he was basically dead years ago =\

Oh man, did he die? The drugs (which arguably played a large role in his music too).

I’ve got a bike, you can ride it if you like…

A movement is accomplished in six stages
And the seventh brings return.
The seven is the number of the young light
It forms when darkness is increased by one.
Change returns success
Going and coming without error.
Action brings good fortune.
Sunset, sunrise.

He reached for the secret too soon

Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit. He took the midnight train going anywhere.

Girls just wanna have fu—un. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh girls just want have…

;_;