R.I.P. random atrophied black kid with flies on his face who I've never met

Let’s make this clear: you’re saying Westerners sell crops to Africa too cheaply. This undercuts African farmers, forcing them to sell just as cheaply. The other side of the coin is that African farmers with less money can now buy cheaper Western crops. They may have a harder time affording non-food-related goods: their profits have decreased, and only the price of food has decreased. But there is no good reason why cheap food would lead to starvation. Maybe less money for material goods, but not starvation.

If nothing else, African farmers who failed to sell their food can resort to eating it. It is the non-farmers who need to worry most about food prices.

At worst, the Western food influx will push African farmers into the city, where they can fully exploit the low food prices. This would induce industrialization, and ultimately solve the starvation problem.

this is not market forces at work, these are the forces of corrupt Western government literally paying farmers to produce more of a good than is necessary
If Western politicians were doing the bidding of Western farmers who voted for them, that would be democracy, not corruption.

But the real explanation for farming subsidies is that we don’t want to rely on other countries for food. Other countries produce food more cheaply than us, because they pay employees less, and have lower taxes and less health and safety regulation. If we let the market operate naturally, our farmers would fail, and we would import most of our food. If we ever displeased one of our food suppliers, the supplier could cease food sales to the U.S., causing mass starvation. We already face this dilemma with oil and the Middle East; food would be many times worse. Congress is not willing to leave the U.S. at the mercy of foreign food suppliers, so it subsidizes local farmers. This is good governance, not corruption.

Your argument reminds of what people keep saying about places like Wal-Mart. Sure, they pay their workers shit money, but they also provide goods at cheaper prices, allowing poorer people to live “better lives”. But does it really work that way? Sure, people might be able to buy jeans and cookies at 10% less the price, but what about the millions now stuck without healthcare, the municipalities robbed of their tax bases and forced to cut public services like education? Just because you can buy something cheaper is no justification for everyone to make less money. There are a number of benefits that come with high-salary, high-cost societies as well, such as a more robust public sector, universal healthcare, and so on.
I, too, oppose superstores, but your economics are confused. Nobody supports superstores because they pay employees less. In fact, superstores generally pay employees more than general stores, because they are more efficient and can afford to.

The argument for superstores boils down to economies of scale. For instance, a neighborhood deli pays $100 to have 50 Cokes shipped in a little truck. Wal-Mart pays $500 to have 5000 Cokes shipped in a big truck. The more being shipped, the less it costs per item, because there are less employees and less fuel per item. As another example, the deli is only big enough to have three employees, and each one individually makes one sandwich per minute. Wal-Mart has a sandwich factory with an assembly line and fifty workers, each of whom makes the equivalent of five sandwiches per minute. Wal-Mart’s workers are five times more efficient, so it needs to pay only 1/5 as many workers per sandwich. Wal-Mart can pass on these savings to consumers; hence their extremely low prices. This also frees up 4/5 of the employees to do other socially beneficial work. A final example: The deli owner is also the cashier, a chef, the inventory-counter, and the decorator. Wal-Mart owns thousands of stores. It can hire experts to spend all their time formulating efficient policies and procedures for the other stores. If this comes with even a 10% efficiency increase per store, that will easily pay for the cost of the experts.

The counterargument is that little independent stores have hidden benefits to society, or positive externalities, that are not reflected in their bottom line. Having thousands of little independent stores, each with its own experimental approach to business, allows a better competition of ideas, than when three to four superstores with homogenized procedures dominate the market. Consumers get pleasure from the diversity of unique goods and services, which is why tourists love quaint towns full of little stores. Independent stores entrust more citizens with real responsibility for their own lives, which produces a more entrepreneurial and responsible population, than superstores which reduce their workers to thoughtless laborers. Consumers are more likely to develop friendships with independent store employees, because employees can socialize more easily in little stores they control, without fear of retribution from distant managers. Consumers are more likely to bargain creatively with independent store employees, and more mutually beneficial exchanges will likely occur, because employees are not constrained by corporate policies.

So conclude what you will. I come out in favor of small, local stores. I wish our antitrust law still protected them.

Obviously corruption is endemic in many of these countries as well, but hideously corrupt nations (China, Thailand, India…) have nevertheless managed to achieve more-or-less food self-sufficiency despite the corrupt nature of their countries.
There is a difference in degree. China, Thailand and India are corrupt like the U.S. was in the 1920s: insider trading, bribery, securities fraud, and so forth. But they have more or less stable governments and rational legal regimes. Africa is more like a conglomeration of feudal monarchies equipped with modern weaponry. African countries are still subject to random military coups. Their police forces inflict nearly as much harm as they prevent. Violence is rampant. The prerequisites for a modern society are nowhere near being satisfied.

Finally, of course, I just have to ask, if these crops are so cheap, which you say will help the poor Africans buy them, then why are there still 400 million malnourished Africans?
Africa is a mostly non-industrialized, crime-ridden and war-torn continent with highly inefficient agricultural methods. Africa has not modernized, and just as in other pre-modern nations, starvation is a problem. This is not some unnatural state of affairs that can only be explained by external intervention. Africa has simply not implemented our mechanisms for dealing with starvation. For instance, African countries have created no convenient way for farmers to exit the non-profitable farming trade and enter the industrial workforce.

African governments should be fixing this. But instead, we read about African monarchs aggrandizing themselves with massive displays of wealth; inequitable taxation; careless land redistribution; nepotism; corruption and bribery among officials; police who inflict more brutality than they prevent; and generally, anything besides responsible government. Corruption and incompetence.

The better question is why African governments keep falling apart. Why have African governments mostly failed to modernize their countries, while other former subjects of colonial rule have thrived? Why is Africa stuck in this cycle of destruction? These are questions for a separate discussion, and go far beyond Western food subsidies.

I hadn’t read much on the subject. This wikipedia article suggests that a decrease in food subsidies contributed to the problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007-2008_world_food_price_crisis#Biofuel_subsidies_in_the_US_and_the_EU. It makes economic sense: using food as biofuel increased demand, so the government cut off subsidies that farmers no longer needed, leaving consumers to pay the much-increased food prices.

Really?

I think I will post more stupid poor people.

The irony did occur to me. But my understanding is that the Red Shirts stand no real chance against the Thai government, and the concern is more about suppressing violent outbreaks than the threat of overthrow.

My favorite sparrow poem, Catullus 2.

Mourn, ye Graces and Loves,
and all you whom the Graces love.
My lady’s sparrow is dead,
the sparrow my lady’s pet,
whom she loved more than her very eyes;
for honey-sweet he was, and knew his mistress
as well as a girl knows her own mother.
Nor would he stir from her lap,
but hopping now here, now there,
would still chirp to his mistress alone.
Now he goes along the dark road,
thither whence they say no one returns.
But curse upon you, cursed shades
of Orcus, which devour all pretty things!
My pretty sparrow, you have taken him away.
Ah, cruel! Ah, poor little bird!
All because of you my lady’s darling eyes
are heavy and red with weeping.

It also suggests EU & US subsidies for biofuel made producers switch to growing crops for biofuel. My point was that while less developed countries have their own problems, our policies also contribute to their problems.

So all this about starving children was a pretext. Nice.

There was a thread for Dio because people cared about him, and he was a tight compadre for young jables, and that"s why he was rich and had something to eat and he was cool. Not like that stupid kid. :frowning: Look at him, sitting in the sand all day doing nothing. No wonder nobody would want to make a thread for him. Xept Hades, of course.

I’m just that benevolent.

They stand no chance against the Thai government put in power by a recent military coup, you mean?

True enough. I wasn’t aware of the 2006 military coup.

I’ve never heard of Dio except in this thread. Should I be proud of that?

I hate sparrows. And it’s perfectly legal to just kill sparrows at will in the US, simply because they are not native. I think Arizona should consider this if they choose to revise Senate Bill 1070.

I don’t think corruption is quite as endemic as you think it is in Africa. There are many countries in Africa that rank in the top half of the world by both corruption and democracy rankings, such as Ghana, Tunisia, Namibia, Botswana…not to say there aren’t some of the most corrupt nations in the world in Africa, but your linking of “corruption” and “poverty” don’t correlate when you look at the data. Let’s look at Ghana for example, which is quite a well-run country given all the hardships it’s endured and it’s wildly instable neighbors on all sides. Ghana ranks in the top 1/3 of world nations in its level of corruption and in the top 20% of world nations in the level of democracy, nevertheless remains terribly impoverished and undeveloped, with its notional GDP barely crossing over the $1000 per capita ranking. This is not a country that has been ravished by war or dictators. In fact, it ranks higher than Greece both in terms of corruption and the spread of democracy, which despite its recent fiscal problems, nobody would claim to be a bastion of despotism. Yet, as a member of the elite developed country members of the EU, Greece can easily afford to subsidize its farmers who, if they were left to survive in the open market, would be utterly crushed by artificially low commodity prices.

Now, I’m not really saying that any part of your argument is wrong. For every Ghana in Africa, you can find 10 other countries who are poor primarily because of hideously corrupt governments. Now, at this point I’d like to get into the reason why African governments are generally so corrupt (it mostly has to do with the post-colonial brain drain, which in some cases left less than 10 people in an entire country with a college education after the colonial powers left, taking all their natural resources and modern farming technology with them), but that’s an argument for another thread I suppose. All I’m saying is that there are cases you can point to where even when corruption is low and democracy well-entrenched in the culture, countries still are left unable to modernize and compete with the more developed powers. And a big reason for this is dumping of cheap agricultural products. The effect goes beyond just what prices people pay at the market. When prices are undercut, local farmers are left with less capital to invest, meaning they will use lower-quality seeds that yield fewer crops and are more susceptible to pests, drought, flooding etc. It means they have less money to buy fertilizers that could also increase yields. It means they have less money to invest in irrigation systems. And so on…

You might say that this is a perfect time for the government to step in and capitalize the farmers. Ghana has tried to do this, but they simple don’t have the resources. And when Ghana does try to step in to subsidize its farmers, the World Bank and International Monetary Fund threaten to cut off funding because subsidizing agriculture is seen as inefficient (this despite the fact the Western countries and Japan who are the funders of these institutions give their farmers over 500 billion dollars every year), and they can only use the funding toward making capital infrastrucure and industrial development. It’s an utterly hypocritical stance, because as I said before, no country can industrialize without first being agriculturally self-sufficient, and a poor country like Ghana can lose 5 or 10 years of progress due to one simple drought or pest infestation, which seems to leave it in a permanent state of atrophy.

It is true that commodity prices shot up sharply in 2007 and 2008, which by all means should have benefitted the poor African farmers, right? Wrong…because unfortuantely, the Western countries that subsidize their farmers also impose huge import tariffs on agricultural products from outside, especially products like corn and soybeans which are massively overproduced in those countries anyway, which means that most of the African countries were not able to benefit from the price rises. And besides, it was only a temporary rise in prices, and if you look at commodity prices now you’ll see they are almost reaching historical lows again. And besides, most of these African agricultural economies have been so utterly ravished by years and years of low-priced dumping that they aren’t really capable of producing much of a surplus, or even adequately feeding their own populations in most cases.

So why don’t African countries impose their own tariffs on dumping? Well, it goes back again to the World Bank and the IMF. These countries are so dependent on the grants and loans given to them by these organizations that their trade policies are pretty much completely dictated by what they say. And, no surprises here, the IMF and World Bank are completely opposed to letting poor African countries put up tariffs, again a hypocritical stance because the funders of these organizations all impose huge tariffs on agricultural goods in their own countries.

It really does seem like a Catch 22. Low commodity prices result in poor African farmers being unable to make a profit, or in many cases to even cover their own costs, which results in the use of poorer seeds, less fertilizer, less machinery, and reduced yields. Higher commodity prices might seem to offer some brief respite, but a lot of these higher prices are just due to temporary speculation, and poor countries are generally unable to benefit both because of tariffs in the developed world and because they are unable to produce sufficient surpluses to take advantage of the situation anyway. Rising prices tend to be an early indicator. If prices are high in Winter, then growers will borrow more money and plant more crops in Spring, and higher yields will end up causing prices to crash by the time harvest comes around. Farmers in poor countries don’t have access to things like futures markets, so they end up getting double whammied by falling prices and increased debts. It’s a really vicious cycle.

And this is what the situation is like in the best and freest of African countries, so you can only imagine what it’s like in more corrupt, despotic nations ravaged by decades of war.

(I wouldn’t exactly be posting sparrow poems if I’d seen the thread had started discussing Thailand. I should learn how to preview.)

Btw Zepp, from a point on EU subsidies sapped the competitiveness of Greek farmers by making them keep an eye on subsidies first and on the market second. Add to that the morphology of Greece, which is not ideal for farming compared to bigger and flatter countries, and middlemen making more money than the producers and there you go.

You shouldn’t talk about yourself that way. People might think you have low self-esteem.

I don’t understand why people attach some kind of innate value on human life anyways. Zepp seems passionate about all of this and it almost disgusts me. What are you going to gain out of helping random starving black children, which is probably the only option you have to make any sort of “difference” at all? If you’re miserable (or happy) now you’re going to find some other reason (consciously or unconsciously) to stay about as happy as you have been so far in life. I hope you realize that feeding these children (who have literally almost zero hope of ever gaining any kind of subjective worth through the advancement of civilization through education or… art. or whatever) isn’t going to make much of a difference, I’d almost wager that keeping the $1.50 a month or whatever to yourself has a higher chance of triggering some massive breakthrough in human society. I’m not really sure what else you think you’d get out of this, a sense that the world can be fair and just. I guess it’s my disbelief in altruism that is the only real point here.

What is that starving child worth? Nothing. I honestly cannot think of a single objective or subjective bit of “worth” that child at the top of the page might have

ps. at least the zepp that “buys into” humanity, running around screwing his underage chinese students, is slightly entertaining. “Africa isn’t so corrupt the world is good man people are good!” It’s like Hades arguing that the reason he bitches about everyone/thing so much is because he has so much “faith” in humanity and is constantly disappointed. Actually, it doesn’t almost disgust me, it just kind of irritates me. Get off your high horse man. At least xwing includes a bit of black and white logic in their posts

god i hate writing these posts im just going to post it half finished because its been sitting untouched in another tab for a while now and I feel like I never put my two cents in for anything but video games

Because the average American, a self-indulging fat ass, producing nothing of any value except becoming another mindless drone in the industrialized world, leaving us with over 100 thousand pounds of garbage in their lifetime, consuming over 50 thousand pounds of food, creating over 1 million gallons of wastewater, using over 10 thousand gallons of gasoline, over 300 thousand kWh of electricity, etc. will result in “triggering some massive breakthrough in human society?” Maybe 3% of Americans will become innovators while 97% will be worthless, and obviously for these reasons, more worthless than a starving country.

I’m honestly unimpressed with what humans have accomplished compared to what we’ve done to get this far in the time we’ve been given. The industrialized nations seem to progress further into fantasy (music/movies/media, art, propaganda, religion, military,…) than reality (medicine, science, …).

Got tired of RO already, eh?

We invented the first airplane 107 years ago, now we’re exploring Mars with rovers we sent. I think that’s substantial progress.

I agree that our efforts should be focused on long-term survival, improving quality of life for all, and understanding the universe, but that’s difficult because of the tendency of nations to force their ideals on the rest of the world. Hence a very large percentage (majority?) of scientists and tax money are spent developing weapons to destroy each other.

I think it comes down to religion, patriotism, and submission to authority as the biggest barriers to progress. I was raised in a fundy baptist home with fundy schooling, and those three things were crammed down our throats every day for the first 18 years of our lives. At least we have the choice to reject those horrible ideals, and look at life from a different perspective than what authority tells us. In other countries, you don’t have that option; you’re brought up and taught to hate everyone that is different than you, and that you should die spreading your ideals / faith / religion / whatever.

Not everyone can be a scientist; if you have difficulty grasping basic algebra you’re probably not wired to make contributions in the field. You’re not going to be able to make a living doing science because you simply don’t have the aptitude. And how many scientists even discover anything helpful to our species? Most of them are developing weapons or focused on fattening the wallets of shareholders.

You spend 8-10 years getting your doctorate, you’re going to need a job so you can buy a house / start a family / pay your loans - you’re probably not going to have a lot of job prospects in medical research or space engineering. So you take a job for 6 digits to work on cutting manufacturing costs by a few million each year, which covers your CEOs private jet expenses. This way you can keep your wife happy, so she’ll provide wild amazing sex and a few kids for you. Then you can die happy, setting the stage for your offspring to make more significant contributions in a society that has hopefully evolved for the better.

Actually yes dammit. I’m trying meth out for the first time though and I haven’t slept in what will be 4 days in a few hours. I’m starting to see things out of the corners of my eyes that pop up and disappear

You could call anything progress if you have the right goals. Personally I think the value of mars rovers is questionable. When you really think about it, planes are fairly useless too. In fact, I’d say survival, understanding the universe and improving the quality of life for all are conflicting goals. You can’t do any one of them without expending the others.

I mean really… Mars Rovers are a pretty inconsiderate and misguided goal next to keeping people alive. Let’s get real.

When you really think about it, planes are fairly useless too.

Ever try flying on a plane? Pretty useful. As for your three goals, both understanding the universe and improving the quality of life are beneficial for our survival and science also leads to better living standards. Scarcity of resources ($, scientists, time) is always a problem, but the goals aren’t conflicting in themselves.

What was the worth of starving Russians, Japanese, Indians and Chinese in the last century? Only the Russians made themselves a superpower and started the whole space-exploring business, the Japanese made half the games* you’re spending your time on, the Indians gave us some pretty nifty mathematics and are helping Americans fix their pcs, and the Chinese actually manufactured our pcs. Maybe starving Africans could also make something if they didn’t starve.

*I forgot. Russia=tetris.