R.I.P. J.D. Salinger

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26185613/ns/today-the_new_york_times/?GT1=43001

A new year, a new decade, and the first of the many celebertiy passings yet to come.

So how the hell did anybody know that he was still alive anyway?

I don’t buy them a copy of Catcher in the Rye and then lecture them with some 7th grade interpretation about how Holden Caulfield is some profound intellectual. He wasn’t! He was a spoiled brat!

Dammit, there goes another one. Although I thought he was already dead.

I still think I’m one of the people that I know of who actually liked the book. My friends didn’t really know what to make of it.

I had the reverse experience. I was the only one of my class that didn’t like that book. In fact my teacher couldn’t remember anyone of any of her classes ever actively disliking the book.

Eh, the book was overhyped, but still very good. I’m just more surprised the guy took this long to die. Considering the care he took to drop out of existence itself, it seems it couldn’t come fast enough for the poor man.

Howard Zinn had the honor. (More obituaries than you can shake a stick at.)

As for how people knew, it was his publishers.

So long and thanks for all the bananafish. I wasn’t taken with Catcher in the Rye either time I read it though.

I never read it, and from what I understand, once you’re no longer a teenager it’s almost not worth it.

Well now they can finally make a movie out of The Catcher In The Rye.:biggrin:

It’s all fake, you’re all fake, it’s terrible cause it’s not real. Am I doing it right?

Only if his estate agrees to it (or whoever acquires the rights agrees to it). Life of the author plus 70 years. So for 70 years, if they felt like blackballing, no movie.

I hated that book with such a passion that I never bothered to read more than a couple of chapters of it. I still managed to pass the tests my class had to take on it by guessing.

It was pretty good, but Basketball Diaries did the same thing better.

(including Jim Carrol dying first).

I haven’t read it, but I always take it when I go Sin watching for some reason.

Catcher in the Rye? Not that good.
Nine Stories? Really really good.

Conspiracy Theory reference?

Sorry if I’m being callous. But honestly. what has J.D. Salinger done for us LATELY! Nothing.

Holden Caufield is supposed to be an unlikable character. He’s an unreliable narrator.

But yes, Nine Stories is twenty billion times better than Catcher. <3

I attended a fundamentalist Christian high school, and we were commanded to burn Catcher in the Rye instead of reading it, because it was evil and might make you kill a Beatle. Even though the Beatles were Satan worshipers (more popular than Jesus, number nine backwards, etc.), only God is allowed to kill people.

So I didn’t read it until after watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex a few years ago. And then I thought what I’d do was, I’d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. Then I went to Princeton and read Ocean Full of Bowling Balls in that special room. Now I’m watching Contact and Jodie Foster is looking really good. What could I do to impress her?

I’m still convinced that Holden Caulfield is actually Sorc. :smiley:

aha, full-fledged forum lawyer shining through!

Elias Kazan wanted to turn it into a play and S. rejected his offer. We’ll all point and laugh if his estate gives the green light for a movie.