Quite strit.

Its neo-slavery! Only the slaves have rights and the right to say ‘screw this I’m leaving’.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
Its neo-slavery! Only the slaves have rights and the right to say ‘screw this I’m leaving’.

Then… wouldn’t it NOT be slavery? Just cheap labor?

in college bio labs:

slavery: grad students
cheap labor : 199 undergrads. (199 is the class code for undergrad research)

and this is all exactly why i will never join the marines.

Originally posted by Sinistral
what if you’re having wild sex with a chick and she scratches you and bruises you in the process?

That counts, although you’d most likely be the one charged, not her. Such as Marines pay heavily if they get AIDS. You are fined and discharged (I’m not sure which). So it is quite rough.

Luckily, you don’t have to worry about that, do you info? :slight_smile:

Basically it’s your choice to sign your freedom away…so I dont see the problem with being government property.You know what you’re going into when you join (yes, I also agree, I would never join the marines or anything like that)A guy I used to talk to was stationed in Germany and the poor guy hated it so bad, but he had to stay about a full eight months before he was allowed to stay home.He signed a contract, and after that, he really (or no one really…) has a say in the matter.Basically, if you know what you’re getting into…

Originally posted by Evangelion
Basically it’s your choice to sign your freedom away…so I dont see the problem with being government property.You know what you’re going into when you join

I’d disagree. Recruiters don’t tell you everything and you don’t sign away all freedom, if so, no one would join. It is pretty similar to a normal 9 to 5 job. Also, some of the rules protect you since if say I’m beaten up, the person not only gets charged with assault and battery, but also destruction of government property and is punished even more than beating up a civilian. Also, situations vary and things aren’t always charged (they rarely are).

Ooook then maybe the rules don’t apply where you are, the ones I’m thinking of, and the situations obviously seem different.This guy was told all he needed to know and he still signed and his independence was gone for 8 months…

Originally posted by Infonick
I’d disagree. Recruiters don’t tell you everything and you don’t sign away all freedom, if so, no one would join. It is pretty similar to a normal 9 to 5 job. Also, some of the rules protect you since if say I’m beaten up, the person not only gets charged with assault and battery, but also destruction of government property and is punished even more than beating up a civilian. Also, situations vary and things aren’t always charged (they rarely are).

So, someone who gets paid to fight (let’s leave it at that) other people cannot under any circumstances be fought by someone of their own country.

Ha-hem.

Does this extend to when you’re not wearing your uniform (or such thing that says that you’re still a marine, only not in function)? If it does, it’s mad crazy.

Originally posted by Igatona
Does this extend to when you’re not wearing your uniform (or such thing that says that you’re still a marine, only not in function)? If it does, it’s mad crazy.

Just because you aren’t in uniform doesn’t mean shit, no matter what branch. Another thing is sun burns though, but you personally get punished for those (a thing called a “Page 11”).

Okay, just get pissed off because I asked a question and I couldn’t word it well considering that english isn’t my first language. Sheesh. I don’t even live in the US, so how am I supposed to know that? It’s not my fault that in Canada, if you aren’t in uniform and aren’t on duty, you’re considered a civilian as far as the reserves are concerned, at least, that’s what my friend who’s in the Canadian reserves told me, or at least, what I can remember from talking to him.

Besides if you aren’t in uniform on duty, you’re pretty much screwed.

But anyway…this rule is mad crazy then, and not the good kind of mad crazy.

Originally posted by Igatona
Okay, just get pissed off because I asked a question and I couldn’t word it well considering that english isn’t my first language.

I’m not pisses off, I was just saying. You have to realize that many Marines are assholes and in order to hold your own, you have to talk the talk. There for cussing increases greatly. We cuss when we’re happy, we cuss when we’re pissed, we cuss whatever the occasion. People tend to think of me as weak, so I talk bigger so that I’m not pushed around. You speak English fluently enough that saying it is your second language is a bad excuse. Like we say here, “excuses are like assholes, everyone has them.”

goddamnit the military is fucking retarded.