Question for the Car Afficianatos- Pontiac Sunfire

I’m picking up a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire tomorrow. It’s certified pre-owned, so it’s practically in perfect condition. How are they? The salesman told me they were fantastic all around, it’s got wonderful gas mileage- 14 gal tank, 22 city miles, 30 hwy miles. I suppose I’m answering my own question, but I’d rather hear other opinions. How do they perform in the snow, stuff like that.

Are there no car experts here? Bah… what a bunch of nerds. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most average sized cars with anti-lock breaks and power steering perform practically the same in the snow, any difference that it depends on what kind of tires you have, and in what shape they, along with the breaking and other systems, are in. You should be more worried about driver ability then how well the car fares if it’s in good shape.

I drove a Sunfire as a rental in 2003 after I was in an accident in my previous rental. I was used to driving a smaller car anyway (I owned a Corolla back then), and I enjoyed the Sunfire. This was in July/August, so no snow driving for me of course, but everything ran pretty smoothly and I had a nice amount of space for a smaller car. Yeah, I thought it was fine, but I wanted a little more backseat space and more engine power, so I went up when I got a new car. :smiley:

It’s Chevrolet Cavalier’s twin; it should answer your question. :stuck_out_tongue:

It will most likely be all right for what you paid and whatever you want to do with it, but it is in no way a great car (fantastic? haha, he’s a salesman. Lada salesmen were also telling their cars were fantastic!). Its reliability has increased considerably over the years, but after a while, it will still become clunky and noisy, if not already. I don’t know how it is elsewhere, but here, it’s classified as a sport car (GT or not), so the insurance costs a lot compared to what you actually own. As for its performance in Winter, I have nothing more to add to what Epic said (as if my opinion mattered a lot :P).

But anyway, I know a couple of people who own a Sunfire. Some of them are satisfied, some of them had a lot of problems. It all depends on what you expect and especially what you’re used to, but for this car size and price range, you’re better off with a Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue:

Neon is a good car for snow.It also has better milage.

My aunt has had a couple Sunfires… suffice to say she now hates the entire company.

My dad’s a huge car nut, and what I’ve gathered from him is that buying an American car when you could buy a Japanese one is a bad idea. In terms of reliability, almost always, and performance more often than not.

Sports car? HA.

I totally agree. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just got it this morning, and I really enjoy it. It handles very well. It didnt take long for me to get used to it. Right now, the only problem I have with it- besides lack of cruise control- is the fact that the gear-shift thing is on the floor, as opposed to the steering wheel, which is where it was on my other car, so I’m always reaching for what is essetially the wiper controls, lol.

I was awfully close to getting a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, and this one ended up being like 100 dollars less than the Galant, so… I dunno.