Question about SAT/ACT scores

Having been out of school for… yeesh… six years now, I have suddenly found myself needing to take the ACT and/or SAT tests. I’m getting the registration stuff done now and working on purchasing some study guides.

You see, I’m trying to earn a commission in the Navy. If successful, I would go to college while continueing to recieve full pay and allowances (at either the E-4 or E-5 (if I make it in September) rank). If I am successful in getting into the program I would be obligated to serve an additional six years, regardless of whether I finish or not (but I don’t see that being a problem). Once I finish I will advance to the rank of O-1 (Ensign)

Anyway, to make a long story short, for part of the application I have to take the SAT and/or ACT tests. To be eligable for the program I am applying for, I need a 1000 on the SAT or 41 on the ACT. Is this difficult (i.e. do I need to spend hours and hours every day studying)? What is the mean/median scores on these tests? I’m having a hard time finding good info online - I know lots of you guys are in college though and would know.

to get 1000 on the SATs you need like a 500/800 in English and a 500/800 in Math. I got 1100 on them my first try, and you know that I’m not the brightest tool in the shed.

(correct me if I’m wrong (and most likely I am), I’m not totally sure on the grading)

That’s weird. Over here we use level’s 1-8. I got 7, 6 , 6 in my S.A.T’s this year w00!

Well I’m just good at taking tests and I didn’t really study anything at all so I got a 600 on verbal and 660 on math. So that’s a 1260 for me. Woo.

I think 1000 on the SAT and 41 on the ACT are about average scores.

However I would think that would mostly pertain to people that are still in high school or just got out when they are fresh so you probably should really consider some type of studing but I wouldn’t go all out.

A 41 is a little hard to get on the ACT considering a perfect score is 36. If you hate analogies, I would suggest the ACT, especially if you know how to read science graphs.

It says 41, in black and white. Maybe it’s a typo and they meant 31.

Still, I plan on taking both.

Not very hard. They test skills they teach in early high school and middle school mostly. If you’ve been through the American eduaction system, you’re fine. You know the format and terms.

Looking at some handy dandy ACT/SAT conversion tables, they probably mean 21. That’s the equivalent of a 1000. That should be pretty easy to get.

Since you’ve been out of high school for a while, I’d recommend the SAT. It’s more of an intelligence ( i.e. Scholastic Aptitude ) test than the ACT, which requires you to know a lot of subject information. The ACT tends to have things you either know or don’t, where no amount of figuring will help - especially in the science. You’ll fly through the SAT as long as you have a decent vocabulary and a vague awareness of Algebra II / Trig. Good luck.

Xwing1056

Originally posted by Rast
[b]Having been out of school for… yeesh… six years now, I have suddenly found myself needing to take the ACT and/or SAT tests. I’m getting the registration stuff done now and working on purchasing some study guides.

You see, I’m trying to earn a commission in the Navy. If successful, I would go to college while continueing to recieve full pay and allowances (at either the E-4 or E-5 (if I make it in September) rank). If I am successful in getting into the program I would be obligated to serve an additional six years, regardless of whether I finish or not (but I don’t see that being a problem). Once I finish I will advance to the rank of O-1 (Ensign)

Anyway, to make a long story short, for part of the application I have to take the SAT and/or ACT tests. To be eligable for the program I am applying for, I need a 1000 on the SAT or 41 on the ACT. Is this difficult (i.e. do I need to spend hours and hours every day studying)? What is the mean/median scores on these tests? I’m having a hard time finding good info online - I know lots of you guys are in college though and would know. [/b]

I forgot all about that program. I had heard about it and wanted to do it, but wasn’t able to get more information at the time (I think that I was in boot camp). That program kicks ass. From the scores you lists, those are pretty much average scores that aren’t too hard to obtain. You would probably just have to refresh your memory and you’d do fine on either test.

Yeah, it’s a good deal but hard as hell to get into. But I’m starting early and have a glowing reputation in my command (except in my division - long story, but it doesn’t really matter) so I’m pretty sure I can pull the numbers and recommendations that I need, even with that whole Army thing and failed previous college attempt in my background.

The ACT is a bit easier to get a higher score on, becasue you don’t get marked down for getting an answer wrong. In the SAT you get deducted for incorrect answers, so you get penalized for guessing. And it’s also cheaper then the SAT, only 24 bucks.

And it probably meant 21 on the ACT, I think that would be the average. But I wouldn’t know, I got like a 29 when I took it, and I didn’t even finish a few of the sections :P. Still, that’s pretty damn good, as good as or better then 95% of the people that took the test on that date nation-wide.