Punk Mecca gets an appropriate street name

Originally posted by Steve
Meh, say what you want. I really only see the punk genre as the original bands.

For christ sake steve, you like Stadic X, i think that says alot about your taste in music

haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by BlueMageOne
For christ sake steve, you like Stadic X, i think that says alot about your taste in music

Actually, You’d be quite surprised in my taste of music.
I like Zamfir. You know him, right?
If you don’t, he plays pan flute versions of many different songs. One of his most recent ones being on the Kill Bill soundtrack.
I listen to Blink 182, Green Day, Metallica, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Outkast, DMX, KoRn, Static-X, Rammstein, and plenty of other bands.
Static-X is just the most recent album I’ve come to like. You’ve already proven you know nothing about what “kind” of music I listen to, so ou can take that reasoning and shove it right back up your ass where you got it.

Actually, You’d be quite surprised in my taste of music.
I like Zamfir. You know him, right?
If you don’t, he plays pan flute versions of many different songs. One of his most recent ones being on the Kill Bill soundtrack.
I listen to Blink 182, Green Day, Metallica, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Outkast, DMX, KoRn, Static-X, Rammstein, and plenty of other bands.
You can take that reasoning and shove it back up your ass, where you got it.

oh my god steve, all those bands are horrible! I’m actualy laughing at your taste in music.

That’s all fine and dandy with me, but I don’t see how it makes my argument any less valid.
I don’t see punk as a sound of music, but more in the lyrics themselves.
Edit: <b>From what I’ve seen</b>, no recent bands have anything in common with the original ones.

Obviously, you listen to pop Steve. So I don’t think that you know what you are talking about. With that being said, I am sure you know a HELL of a lot more than me about popular music. So i can’t make an unfounded statement about your music.

Eh, if you wanna talk about it like that, then pretty much any band could be considered pop. But of course, I’m wrong in some way that my pop-loving abilities make be blind to.

Originally posted by Amerycinsycho
Obviously, you listen to pop Steve.

Originally posted by Amerycinsycho
Slipknot, Outkast, DMX, KoRn, Static-X, Rammstein

I don’t know a lot about music, but I won’t say that Slipknot and KoRn are Pop :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, they DO suck, but the are totally not pop :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh, if you wanna talk about it like that, then pretty much any band could be considered pop. But of course, I’m wrong in some way that my pop-loving abilities make be blind to.

Uh… no. Most industrial bands cannot be considered pop (Exception: Nine Inch Nails). Most actual punk bands cannot be considered pop. The harder heavy metal genres cannot be considered pop. Most gothic rock is definately not pop, especially when you get to stuff like Bauhaus’ mid-career albums.

Pop music is music specifically designed to appeal to a massive audience. Most music is, indeed, pop music. However, some people make music for different reasons:

1. Therapy (some pop bands, such as KoRn, fall into this category- yes KoRn is pop :p).
  2. Sending out a message (like most punk bands).
  3. Fun (GWAR, old Metallica… made for the enjoyment of the band members).
  4. Other reasons I can’t think of at the moment, since I just came back from work and I’m tired. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Kor
[b]I don’t know a lot about music, but I won’t say that Slipknot and KoRn are Pop :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, they DO suck, but the are totally not pop :stuck_out_tongue: [/b]

Well, early KoRn doesn’t suck, but later KoRn IS pop. Slipknot is most definately pop. You see- the mainstream audience nowadays likes the combination of angst, bashing randomly on percussion, and screaming. Its pop nowadays.

For the record, new Metallica is most definately pop, and its not even good pop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah, I like some pop music. The Beatles and much 80s pop, for instance. I think that the 90s and 00s have shitty pop for the most part, though. Nirvana was okay, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by BlueMageOne
oh my god steve, all those bands are horrible! I’m actualy laughing at your taste in music.

Well, that’s awfully interesting, because I’m laughing at you for laughing at someone elses taste in music.

Pop is defined solely as popular music. What makes punk ‘punk’ is that it isn’t pop, in that it isn’t popular because the subculture does just about as much as possible to keep it from becoming popular, in that by becoming popular (or Pop), then it becomes mainstream, and attracts the attention of unwanted fans and corporate interest. Any and all music can be pop, just as any and all music has the capacity to be punk. I’ll go as far as to say there are punk rap groups, however I won’t go so far as to say that these groups are as much punk as they are unheard of.

People need to learn that music is music, and by forcing music into genre’s all you’re doing is making things unneccessarily complicated.

That’s all fine and dandy with me, but I don’t see how it makes my argument any less valid.
I don’t see punk as a sound of music, but more in the lyrics themselves.
Edit: <b>From what I’ve seen</b>, no recent bands have anything in common with the original ones.

Actually what punk bands today have in common with original ones are that they have a message to deliver. Most of these other bands, they sing about how hot dogs taste good and why girls suck allot. Punk is about sending a message.

By pop I meant music that is currently popular with todays society. i.e. MTV play radio play. I wasn’t trying to be dick or anything. If I am sorry. I was just trying to convey the fact that Steve might not know as much about punk as I do. But I don’t know anything about his music. I mean none of his bands are my style. Except Slipknot. I can’t stand that. Then again I’ll bet he can’t stand the Rev. Horton Heat :hahaha;

Eh, I’m actually quite involved in the, for lack of a better term, punk scene here in my city. I actively go to MANY of the local bands which call themselves punk, and, for the most part, are by many of the definitions here.