PSP is it good or bad!!!

Umm, dude, I possess a job. I get paid $12.50 USD / hr, and I get 40 hrs a week. However, I also have to pay rent, utilities, etc. If I saved up for several months, I could get a PSP (or if I just stopped eating for a couple of weeks). Don’t ever blow the “this amount of money is useless” thing in peoples faces, because you apparantly don’t know how other people have it. $250 is a helluva lot of money for a system that currently has no games worth buying it for.

And, yes, I’ve played it. As I said in the very first reply I made, “[t]he system is good.” Allow me to clarify: the system is fucking sexy. It’s a gorgeous piece of hardware, with a helluva lot of potential. That said, it’s not worth the price of a home system. And do I hold handhelds and home systems on different regards? Oh, God, yes. I buy every handheld and every home system that comes out. They get different games. What’s more, certain games don’t play well on handheld, regardless of WiFi compatability. Also, it’s easier to stare at a big screen TV for 100 hours of an RPG than it is a handheld. That’s why I played Dawn of Souls on my Gameboy Player.

You know what? This is ridiculous. There’s no reason for me to argue this anymore. People who already spent the ungodly amount of money on a PSP (need I remind you that they’re going to cost under $100 within 3 years, maybe even 2 years? no? okay) have to justify their purchase, not just to others, but to themselves. You can keep believing that playing Twisted Metal or Ridge Racer on there is great, but I can just as easily play them on my TV, and the characters will be bigger than an inch and a half. What’s more, I could play them on my TV for $179 ($200 with a memory card), and I’d get to play them for more than 2 hours without having to stop to recharge.

Have I played the system? Yes, yes I have. Again, it’s sexy. It’s hella slick. There’s just not a good game out for it, and the price of the hardware is completely ridiculous. If you have money to spare on things like that, go to town. Personally, I have bills to pay.

What? You’re an idiot! I just get my parents to pay for rent and food.

I have no idea what it matters that it is a portable system =\ It seems like you have a problem with portable gaming as a whole, and not the psp. Not attacking you, just saying. Hell, i like portable gaming better, because i can play whenever/wherever i want.

My brother saw a dude at his college with the PSP, and he told me the graphics were amazing, and I don’t doubt that. Maybe… eventually, I’ll get it, but it’s way too rich for my blood. I haven’t even gotten a Nintendo DS yet, and I want that more than a PSP.

I can’t possibly have a problem with portable gaming, as I have a Gameboy, a Game Gear, a Gameboy Color, a game.com, a Nomad, a Gameboy Advance SP, and a Nintendo DS. I’m all for the idea of a PSP, but I don’t want to spend $400 on a system just to play games that were already made for systems I already have. Portability is great and all, but I don’t ever go anywhere where I’d be able to use it portably. I never go on planes, I’m always the one driving, there’s no situation where portability would be useful for me. I play my current handhelds at home, typically while plugged in to the wall.

Oh, and I forgot to address this earlier:

No, no you don’t. I was a store manager for a game store for a very long time. If that PSP breaks within that 90 day MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY (not provided by GameStop), you have to mail the system to Sony. Oh, and they don’t cover shipping. Guess what, though? If they decide that the damage done to the system wasn’t caused by manufacturer’s defect, for example, if they think you sat on it, or spilled a drink on it, or dropped it, they don’t cover the problem! If you dropped it once, scuffed up the side, and it worked fine, but it later gave up due to manufacturer’s defect, they won’t cover that either! They’ll say the problem was because you dropped it. Oh, and get this. If Sony receives a product for manufacturer’s warranty, and they determine that they problem isn’t covered under manufacturer’s warranty, they keep it! You can get it back, of course, but you either have to a) pay for shipping back, as well as for labor to have it ‘diagnosed’ or b) pay for repairs (both parts and labor) and they’ll cover return shipping.

So, you buy a warranty. This is a handheld, for godsake, you’re probably going to keep it in your pocket. It will probably be dropped. It will likely have something happen to it. Both EB and GameStop offer warranties for that very reason; for $25 at EB, you get a 1 year warranty, $40 for 2 years (I believe that GameStop’s prices are comparable to those). That covers you from anything at all, and they replace it in store. Best Buy and Circuit City both sell replacement plans on PSPs as well, only theirs costs $69. If you didn’t buy a warranty, you’re probably SOL, but you might be able to sweet talk the manager at the store you bought it at into retroactively letting you buy one (if it’s been less than 14 days, anyway).

Call me crazy but I’d have to agree with Sat. I went shopping on friday and was disappointed by the total lack of good PSP games. Not to mention teh 350 dollar price tag up here in Canada. On the flip side to the PSP deal in America, Canadians get the package, minus Spider Man 2. To replace Spider Man 2 a copy of Gretzky NHL is included. Which didn’t make it worth my purchase since the only appealling game coming out for it in the next month is Regoku and the only oen coming out within another 6 months is Tales of Eternia.

Sure, the DS has an equally weak line up of starting games but there are a few that make it worth while. Mario 64 DS was extremely good, Rayman 2 looks pretty good and the Wario Warez games are quite addictive and fun. Not to mention there’s the appeal of very little load times with the DS. The PSP has no real games that interest me on it’s list, save for the ones I mentioned, whereas the DS does. Not only is it getting a new Secret of Mana game, FF3, Metroid Hunters, an online Four Swords and Super Mario Kart DS may also be online. ALl of these interest me quite a bit.

And finally, I don’t see the appeal of movies on the go and I’ve got an MP3 player 1/4th the size of the PSP, which I don’t have to buy memory sticks for that cost idiotic amounts of cash for space, and with a lack of good, diverse games coming out for the PSP…it’s pretty much a waste of cash for now. (Keep in mind my definition of diverse is not having 4 sports games out of the 7 or so release games and having 60% of the release list being sports as well)

This is why i took your post as anti-portable gaming. Sorry.

And what about lumines? Thats a fucking AMAZING game, and new, and fresh. And then there is Wipeout, which isn’t really a rehash. Its a totally new game, just the same “fly a ship” play. Zone mode is defiantly fresh as well. And Darkstalkers too, who didn’t like that one in arcades?

I think this is now becoming an argument of “buy it when it comes out” vs “wait for it to be cheap”, which is an argument that will never end. They are just 2 different ways of thinking, there is no way to change the other person. So maybe this should just end here, before it gets out of hand.

Looks pretty sweet, but I’m gonna wait to see what system bombs first before buying one. :slight_smile:

Darkstalkers I mentioned, Wipeout isn’t as good as Wipeout XL, but I completely forgot to mention Lumines. That game is hella awesome. However, my rule is if the price of the system outways the price of the games that I’m interested in buying, I hold off. So, the system’s $250, as soon as there’s $250 worth of games that I want, it’ll become a worthwhile purchase. Then I’ll just need the cash to do so… ;-_-

Besides, they’re making Ys VI on PSP, I have to buy one! :smiley:

What they should of Done was Take out the Dvd Player and Put more Life in the psp
allso they should take the price down to 150

…there isn’t a dvd player -_-’

Hell, the machine does everything I ever wanted in a portable, so I’m happy with it. Again this is just my opinion.

a) What would the point of that be? That makes no sense except in an abstract arty-angst kind of way.

b) I’m guessing Sony don’t want to because people will buy it regardless of price (you know they will). I’m not sure how much it costs to make but that could factor in as well.

well, if homebrew for psp is actually a possibility then I can see passable emulators being availible fairly quickly… that’s about the only way I’m gonna mess with a portable.

The joystick reminds me of the official NES turbo controller, and, quite frankly, that was a bad controller. I’m just not used to it, I guess, but while the joystick might be high quality, I find it unwieldy.

Actually, Jang, we got the Spider-Man 2 movie with it, at least, over here we did.

Rofl, ok, I worked and now work again (waiting for hours) at gamestop. I can give you the number to our store if your really don’t believe that gamestop offers a 90 warrenty.

The deal is this. You buy the system, it breaks within 90 days of buying it. You come back to us. If we have the system on hand, we’ll exchange it for you right then and there. Please don’t try to tell me you know that gamestop doesnt offer somthing that we do daily.

(edit: Let me clarify, Yes, this is a manufacturer’s warranty. Guess what, you do it through us. No, you dont have to mail it to Sony, NO you dont have to pay anything, YES we replace the system and take care of shipping it back to Sony for you)

Maybe when you worked at your game store things were different. However, gamestop in Washington state DOES give you this option. Not refund, REPLACEMENT, if it breaks within 90 days of the purchase date. That sounds like a 90 day warrenty to me.

We may be getting our terms mixed up.

And just for shits and giggles, heres gamestop’s number. The gamestop I work at, go ahead, call them.

Gamestop, Bellevue Square Mall
Bellevue, Washington
425-453-1696

No seriously, call them. Hopefully you’ll talk to Mike, the assistant manager, hes awesome.

Actually, I did you one better. I called up the GameStop corporate building in Grapevine, TX, and talked to my buddy Alex who works there. He said that if you guys are doing that up north, it’s not something that’s condoned by corporate. I didn’t tell him your store number or anything (cause I’m not a jerk-ass, and if you guys get away with doing that for your customers, or if your DM is cool with it, then that’s cool as hell), but he said that their official return policy on game hardware is 7 days. 90 days is the manufacturer’s warranty, and any issues with the system past the original 7 days should be taken up directly with the manager.

Anyway, if you guys are doing that for your customers up there, that’s hella awesome. No stores around here can do that because EB’s computer would blow up if you tried something like that, and the GameStop corporate office is right next door to us, and they certainly wouldn’t let their employees do a customer a favor for not buying the warranty. That’s just shooting your revenue in the foot.

(for those who don’t understand why that’d be shooting your revenue in the foot, game stores make $0 on systems. $0. If they sell a warranty, it doesn’t matter what you buy with it, they made money. If you have to use the warranty, the price of it typically covers quite a bit more than the shipping it costs them to have it replaced by the manufacturer. If a game store simply exchanged every broken system that came in, they’d take a tremendous loss on shipping, not to mention any spiffs they had to give the system manufacturer just to get the system on time/early/at all, if it’s a hard to find system. When Gamecubes were high in demand, and were still selling for $199, we (EB) as a company had to pay $235 per just to get them in stock, because various stores had gotten into a bidding war).

Anyway, again, I’m not trying to be a jerk-ass, and I’m not trying to prove you wrong or anything. It’s just that, working in retail, I got so pissed off at customers trying to give me excuses as to why our warranties were worthless garbage that it really annoys me when I hear people say it. That’s one of the few ways that game stores make profit (that and used games), and game stores honor them in such a simpler way than larger retail chains that it really is worth the money.

there is a Dvd Player in The psp if not what is it called a Mini Dvd player

So I talked to mike and we discussed all this and he told me somthing quite interesting. Because of some retailer law in washington state, companies werent allowed to use Manufacturer’s warranties when selling certain products. Because of this, gamestop took it upon themselves (in Washington) to take the product back and replace the product “for” the manufacturer to get around this trade law. Apparently some things have changed recently, however he assured me that our store will still give customers thier 90 day return untill we are told otherwise.

So I guess this makes us both right, in a way. But since your side covers most of america and mine only covers Washington… I think you are “more” right than me.

But through this, can you see why I had the stance I did?

Certainly, I don’t enforce warranty buying upon the employees of game stores, just the customers. :smiley:

I apologize for all blowing up like that, though. No offense or anything. Just a bunch of dumb people at work today. :smiley:

Personally I can’t wait to get a PSP. But unfortunately I’m going to have to, since Europe always get things ike this last.

Although that does usually mean most of the bugs have been worked out by the time they get here.