PS2 Games- !hat should I buy?

I’m getting my fiancee a ps2 for father’s day (don’t ask me why we’re just getting one now, I have no idea why we never had one before). I don’t want to just get him the system alone, so I’m looking for input about a few games to get to accompany the ps2.

He’s a nineteen year old male that likes a wide variety of games; rpg’s like Breath of Fire, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur games, Sonic, or Tony Hawk games. So, there’s not like a single kind of game I’m looking for. Some games with good multiplayer modes would be good since we like to play videogames together, but they don’t need to all be like that.

So, if you could list your favorite playstation/ps2 games and if you’re not feeling lazy maybe a little about them, I’d appreciate it.

I don’t care how many you list- your all time favorite one or a list of 20 games you like. Anything is better than perusing the Gamestop racks or Ebay with absolutely no idea about any games at all.

Thanks guys!

The title should be ‘What should I buy.’ Typing Skillz:Fail.

I’m not particularly good at this kind of thing so I will deliberate.

The PS2 has a really vast selection of good stuff available for it. Top of my personal list would be GTA San Andreas- cracking game, probably the best of the series (though revisiting it on the 360, it hasn’t aged all that well). Next up on my list would be Metal Gear Solid 3. Go for the 3 disc ‘director’s cut’ one if you can.

I’m deliberately staying away from RPGs and beat-em-ups because around here that’s like painting a huge bullseye on your face, so I’ll skip to the more obscure stuff that you can find cheaply and will entertain for ages. Two in particular- Bombastic, sequel to the ridiculously addictive PS1 game Devil Dice. I’ve only stuck my disk into the console two or three times but still I must’ve racked up 10 hours’ play time, it’s that insidious. Next up is Flipnic, which is the pinball equivalent of mashing up half a ton of twizzlers and injecting it directly into your cerebellum. Quite fun to play late at night, actually. :slight_smile:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Valkyrie Profile 2 (better if he already played the first one)

Some of my favorites. Not really multiplayer, but I think those games are definetly worth looking into

Good luck :cool:

Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, God of War, FFX.

Red Faction 1+2, very fun split screen.

ICO is a weird beast. You play a child trying to guide a princess (or white girl, anyway) through a castle, all the time haunted by the shadows her mother sends to get her back. You are armed with a wooden sword, you more or less learn to decipher the puzzles quickly and it’s quite linear. Yet, it oozes atmosphere and feels like you’re in a tale of the Grimm brothers. It shouldn’t work, but it’s a great game and if you think he might be interested, snatch it. No multiplayer.

It’s hardly the greatest game ever made, but the second Lord of the Rings game was a fun button-masher multiplayer. Basically, you pick a member of the Fellowship (Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas), he picks another and you play through the story with cinematics interspersed. I didn’t like the movie, but killing orcs till your fingers bleed and you have run out of bullshit to say to your friend is somehow cathartic, at least for people who used to play Mortal Kombat. The third game was also good AFAIK, though I’ve played it less.

Sonic>Platform>Psychonauts/Jak&Daxter. That’s science.

This is a guy who loves Okami and you could, too.

PS2 has a crapload of rpgs if you decide to go that way. FFX is the obvious choice.

FFX
MGS Essentials
Devil May Cry bundle
Resident Evil 4
God of War one and 2
Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
Kingdom Hearts games
Shadow of Destiny
.hack
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

All I can think of at the moment.

FFX is a must
I’d get Shinobi
I’ve heard nothing but good about God of War
FFXII is alright too

I dunno, I mostly used my PS2 to play good PS1 games.

I’d stay away from any GTA games though. At least to me, they were novelty games with very little play or replay value. They need cheats to be fun, and even then I can’t handle more than 15 minutes without getting bored of the insistent gangster shit.

Shadow of the Colossus is a MUST.
Other than that, I can’t remember any other good games that haven’t already been mentioned.

IDK- that part wasn’t that bad for me. I just really didn’t like the controls.

ICO (near impossible to find given it was a launch title)
Shadows of the Colossus
Okami
Burnout 3 Takedown

KATAMARI DAMACY!!

Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Both Katamaris
God of War 1 and 2
Growlanser Generations

How was the MegaMan Anniversary Collection?

Lots of great games for the PS2, so it’s hard to go wrong with the above choices.

For the GTA games, they serve as nice distractions if you just play it to mess around. Also really cheap used.

Other stuff not mentioned:
Tales of the Abyss (Has Multiplayer)
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (You’ll either like it or hate it. Depends if you like the DW style of play. I personally enjoyed the hell out of it. Also Co-op.) Although if you’re interested, look up some of the other DW games.
Disgaea Series (Massive timesinks)

Probably some other stuff, but can’t think of 'em. I’d list one more game, but it’s import-only.

So far we have- FFX, Kingdom Hearts 1+2, and some game about Jak and Daxter that was $2.00 so I said what the hell. KH is a hit so far- anything more fight-y?
Like, Mortal Kombat style?

jRPG: FFX, FFXII, Dragon Quest VIII.
Tactical RPG: Disgaea 1,2.
Action: God of War 1,2
Extra: Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy.

Just googled God of War, from the small amount of description I allowed myself to read on wikipedia (don’t want to spoil the game for myself.) it seems like a game I would really, really enjoy.

Isn’t there some ps2 fighting game, Soul Caliber or something like that? I vaguely remember playing against my fiance’s brother and kicking his ass a few years ago.

Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive are popular series. I liked DOA2 more than SC personally.

Is dead or alive a game that you turn on and relentlessly murder your opponent?

I need a flick-on-and-fight-friend kind of game, where we can just beat the shit out of each other.