Problems with Property

I’m not surprised that they threw it out. That laptop guy sounded like the type of guy who, if you got sick and vomited in his car, would take his car to the trendiest cleaners in town and have his interior completely overhauled, then send you the bill for your mistake (the mistake of agreeing to ride in his car in the first place).

Man. If you’re riding in my car and throw up, you damn well reimburse me. Now I would be reasonable when getting it cleaned and whatnot, but you’re paying me. I give up a night of drinking so that you don’t have to pay for a taxi will result in you getting the cleaning bill.

Originally Posted by The 984
Man. If you’re riding in my car and throw up, you damn well reimburse me. Now I would be reasonable when getting it cleaned and whatnot, but you’re paying me. I give up a night of drinking so that you don’t have to pay for a taxi will result in you getting the cleaning bill.

I have no problems with reimbursing someone for damages that I inflict upon their mode of transportation. My point is having to pay to clean the large fuzzy dice hanging off the rear-view mirror because it’s considered to be part of the inside of the car. (and no, I am not talking about circumstances where crack vomit shooting skillz were involved either).

Then we are in agreement. If I ever have to drive you drunk, we both know that you puking in my car will result only in you paying for cleaning the mess made.

Good to hear. People in authority tend to be reasonable, in my experience. Unless sex is involved somehow.

Prime Ministers and presidents tend to be reasonable?:get it?:

In which case just offer the people in authority sex. That makes it all better. Just don’t get caught.

I mean, when people in authority have to judge criminal or civil matters.

Unless they have to keep the prison industry supplied. And there are certain classes of people that get off the hook rather easier than others.

Yes. The sort who don’t go around shouting “YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, COPPERS!” once the heat is on.

Such as? And don’t say the rich. Most of the time, the rich don’t break the laws, they simply change the laws to benefit themselves. And if we let that happen, we only have our own apathy and ignorance to blame.

As for the prison industry, America has a huge number of prisoners because a significant percentage of our population breaks the law. Simple as that.

Ugh, just as soon as I get away from this other crap, I get into more trouble apparently.

Damn university cop pulled me over for having no seatbelt on. Normally, I wouldn’t have a problem with this, except I HAD the fucking seatbelt on the ENTIRE time. Apparently, the cop couldn’t tell contrasting shades of gray, since my seatbelt is gray, and I had on a gray shirt and jacket. (His words, not mine.) Regardless, I was (and still am) pretty well pissed. Apparently him seeing me with the seatbelt on didn’t stop him from giving me a ticket. So I’m gonna contest this in court, because I find it incredibly fucking stupid for him to give me a ticket for something I didn’t even do.

That’s way overboard. I can’t imagine how much it must suck to get a ticket for not having your seatbelt on.

Ha, especially those.

Policemen get preferential treatment (e.g. Menezes). And yeah, the rich. According to Giddens (Blair’s ex-advisor) white collar crimes regularly receive less punishment even if the societal damage inflicted is far greater.

The law isn’t immutable, as you said, and social policy affects the imprisoned population numbers. So, you got a quadrupled prison population since the 80s and part of it is from the War On Drugs (note that Clinton, Bush and Obama have all done drugs). Incidentally, the 80s are the beginning of the Reaganomics and the great deregulation, which -among others- caused the number of homeless to skyrocket. I don’t suppose private contractors care more for the societal good than the number of inmates in their “facilities” and their bottom line.

Anyway, laws must be supported by an ethical basis. Bush’s pardoning Scooter was legal, but unethical. Sophocles’ play Antigone is a great text about these kind of questions.

*the perpetrators too