Printing Photographs: DIMENSIONS

I am going to be printing photographs soon, but I am unsure what dimensions the picture file should be. I did a test print last week on the photopaper I bought, but it turned out the image was waaaaay too big, because only a fraction of it showed up on the paper.

What dimensions should the picture be before I print it? As for the dimensions of the paper itself, it is 6 inches by 4 inches.

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn’t sure which one it should be in, so I guess you can move it if it’s in the wrong spot.

Thanks in advance.

I’d think there would be a setting like “fit to page” or something along those lines in whatever software you’re using.

Photo editing software can set the size and resolution of a picture separately. A picture that is 900 by 600 pixels can fill a 6 by 4 inch area at a resolution of 150 dots per inch. A 600 by 400 pixel fills that area at 100 dots per inch. I think printers can handle 300 dots per inch, or more. So just use the software to set the size of the picture in inches.