Potential US Dragon Quest news

As reported last week at <A HREF=“http://www.the-magicbox.com/”>The Magic Box</A>:

Square Enix has recently registered four new patents in US, including Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Swords, Rocket Slime and The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors, which could possibly be new game titles in US.

I haven’t seen any news about this since then. I assume that Dragon Quest Heroes will have something to do with the Dragon Quest Characters series (Torneko and Yangus), Rocket Slime could be Slime Morimori Dragon Quest, I can only assume that Dragon Quest Swords is Kenshin Dragon Quest, and I’m not sure if the last is even Dragon Quest related. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Rocket Slime and The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

If that’s all one title, it could be the greatest game ever.

Sounds potentially good, but I’d rather get PS1 DQ4 and PS2 DQ5 released in north america first. :confused:

But I have a feeling S-E (like most companies) doesn’t give 2 shits about their older games and would rather milk a franchise into the ground with brand new spiffy graphics. (How’s that for mixed metaphors? :P)

Well, having bought DQ5 for PS2, I can say that it probably wouldn’t sell too well in America after the release of DQ8. Also, they no longer have the source code to DQ4, and if they take it apart manually, they still won’t have anyway to decipher it. Of course, PS1 isn’t a viable market anymore, anyway (what with PS3 looming within the year).

Companies don’t get a shit about old games because they don’t sell. Tales of Phantasia and FFIV on GBA haven’t sold very well at all. I haven’t heard shit about FFV or FFVI for GBA lately, probably due to the poor sales of FFIV. It may not be popular to say around here, but graphics sell games in America. We just have to get used to that. We won’t see DQ4 or 5 in America, we won’t see Mother 1&2 in America, and there’s a chance that, even if FFV and VI are released on GBA, we probably won’t see those in America, either. Hell, there’s a pretty good chance we won’t see Mother 3 in America.