Portal: The Most Subversive Game Ever

An in-depth “review” of Portal.

A psychoanalytic reading would likely conclude that the portal is an image of the female sex organs: oval and receptive, and also a metaphorical birth canal through which the protagonist is constantly being born into new trials.

Comedy gold.

I too lol’d that part.

Also the male Weighted Companion Cube and the need to unburden yourself from it.

While this does address some things that are prolific in games like blatant sexism…

Ultimately, Chell incinerates the Weighted Companion Cube, symbolizing a mental unburdening from the need for approval from a father figure.

This made me laugh my ass off. I mean, WTF? :stuck_out_tongue:

We need to purge English departments across the country immediately. The infection of stupid has gone far enough.

(My past semester was in large part spent reading similarly idiotic postmodernists applying irrelevant theories to ancient authors in an equally ridiculous manner)

Yes, RPT, but those were actually serious about it.

This … is not. falters … right?

What are you talking about, RPT? Everyone knows that Cicero’s De Legibus is a rejection of the misogynistic system that dominated the Roman society and further attempted to replace said paradigm with a neo-classical matriarchal system fixated primarily on existential ideals.

Everyone is Jesus in purgatory!

Suppose you are studying Moby-Dick. Anybody with any common sense would say Moby-Dick is a big white whale, since the characters in the book refer to it as a big white whale roughly eleven thousand times. So in your paper, you say Moby-Dick is actually the Republic of Ireland. Your professor, who is sick to death of reading papers and never liked Moby-Dick anyway, will think you are enormously creative.
—Dave Barry, “College Admissions”

QFT

Come on, Trillian, everyone knows the Republic of Ireland is green and not white.

Hey, hey, HEY now, just hold on right there.

We’re green, white and orange. Just try and figure out the symbolism. Go on, try!

The green represents the plants. The orange represents oranges. And the white represents the sperm.

It’s easy. A flag signifies independence, thus: Green and White shows the President of the Republic of Ireland must always support Celtic when they play with Rangers, per the treaty ending the wars of the three kingdoms. Otherwise Gordon Brown will ride his white mare, conquer Ireland and subjugate them to the UK of England and Celtic. Yar got the orange=orange right, included in the flag to commemorate Cuchulainn getting the Oranges of the Hesperides after tricking Hercules into thinking he should go get apples. Didn’t they teach you history at school? :stuck_out_tongue:

I recall my favourite lit paper to be the one I wrote on Moby Dick that was very, very clearly referring, in fact, to the AC/DC song “Whole Lotta Rosie,” with Bon Scott as Ahab. I got an A on it. I don’t know if it was the teacher thinking it was hilarious, or the teacher honestly not catching on to the reference and thinking I was some clever analyst finding the psycho-sexual dimension to Ahab’s relationship with the whale.
If it was the latter, I’m going for “Big Balls” to “Mrs. Dalloway” next time.

I once wrote a paper in Highschool about the populist (?) movement to the tune of “Another Brick in the Wall” by Pink Floyd. I got a B.

Is everybody here Still Alive?

Ah ah ah ah

I think that’s been posted before

Believe me, I am still alive. I’m doing science and I’m still alive. I feel fantastic and I’m still alive! And when you’re dead I will be stbricked

whistles, casually pushes crate of discount bricks offscreen with foot

That’s some foot you got there GG.