Popularity

Originally posted by Ryoto the Slayer
So what are your solutions?

…Switch places with me?

Looks like Maz has lots of experience of being a nerd. I’m not saying I’m the coolest, because I’m a born nerd through and through, but Maz Maz knows more about it than I.

Originally posted by Epicgamer
[b] I’m like one of the biggest nerds at my school and no one even knows it, and the people who do know it don’t care. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made an effort to be nice to people and help them out, so I’m just a smart kid who’s everyone’s friend in a way. Or more like I know people who know people, who know other people that I know, so I have a pretty good situation worked out. [/b]

I’m pretty much the same way too. Everybody in the library came to me for computer help. All the kids on my bus liked me too because they got dropped off in front of my house with me and that was closer than the usual drop off point.

Ryoto, you sure you just want to be a nerd or don’t you just not like the girls? If they don’t stop chasing you, you can do what I do when I find annoying things. Just ignore them, and eventually they should take the hint.

Originally posted by Mazrim Taim
Take long walks late at night, when everybody is asleep.

Buh. I’m a nerd… Meh.

I think this thread is all a lie, and is a popularity stunt by Ryoto to the RPGClassics Forum User Community. Thus he thinking we will be like “This guy must be cool, because we are all nerds, we can’t get anyone!” therefore I say “That’s Jesus Poop!”

Get real! popular girls don’t hit on nerdy guys. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but in your case I doubt it. I woulden’t expect a middle school pre-teen popular girl to hit on some nerdy kid. Some in your age range haven’t even left the cooty thing behind.

Originally posted by Urkani
Buh. I’m a nerd… Meh.

Being a nerd isn’t so bad. All you have to do is change your own mental definition of “nerd” from society’s to your own (cause…it’s YOUR definition, why use somebody ELSE’s?), and suddenly it kicks ass.

-Mazrim Taim

Needless to say I’m popular at my school. I dunno why, but it seems that everybody know who “Starbird” is. And hell, I’ve only been to this school a year and a half.

I’m a little bit of everything. Nerd, Jock, Politition. If there’s a topic that comes up with the class I usually talk about it. I can play just about any sport in gym class, and I can talk about almost everything in computer class. But it seems that everybody knows who I am, even if I don’t know them.

I don’t really have a lot of advice to not being popular. I do know once that the time I said no to popular girls, people believed me to be gay (which I’m not nor will I ever be)… but luckily I moved out of that town in one year. Just be yourself and hope that it repells them. Again, I have little advice on this.

Which is why I said Meh. It’s just another label used by people to sort others into easily insultable (for lack of a better word) groups.

Holy shit. Exo made sense!

Exo made a LOT of sense with that post.

Just go up to the girls and start hitting on them as they did to you. And tell me every detail of what happens after.

And anyway, this is schooltime drama. School is between September - May (for most of you crazy americans) or June.

Originally posted by Orakio
I’m a little bit of everything. Nerd, Jock, Politition. If there’s a topic that comes up with the class I usually talk about it. I can play just about any sport in gym class, and I can talk about almost everything in computer class. But it seems that everybody knows who I am, even if I don’t know them.

Still nerd is a very broad and dominating term. I’m a Marine, but that doesn’t make me any cooler. It just means that if someone tries to steal my lunch money they’ll get the crap beat out of them.:hahaha;

What Maz said was pretty cool… but I don’t think that stuff makes you a nerd, atleast from my perspective.

Why do you want to be a nerd? I say you should go for the girl… if she was just joking, then whatever, it won’t be that bad. And if she isn’t joking, then…
And you don’t necesairly have to stop acting the way you’re acting, to get the girls attention… cause obviously you already got her attention.

I agree with everyone, but I just try to relate with girls, show my feminine side, and bask in the glory of my genius. And then I realize I’m dreaming, but I try that first.

Pshhh! I flirt with cute girls all the time and I always succeed, you guys are such pessimists. :stuck_out_tongue:

Er what I meant t say was

If you’re being serious, Ryoto, the only thing I can say is, you’d be really silly to declare yourself part of a silly social caste. Being popular and being nerds aren’t ever opposites :stuck_out_tongue: I’m pretty well-liked where I go to school, and I’m a ‘nerd’ by common definition. Fuck that silly shit, if you’re interested, hit on the damn chicks. If not…um…don’t. There aren’t ‘solutions’ for shit like that you know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
What Maz said was pretty cool… but I don’t think that stuff makes you a nerd, atleast from my perspective.

Well, it’s what you have to do if don’t wanna be a self-destructive person, but still want to have your image fall as close to “nerd” as possible. What people have been saying applies, though - you have to put your own raw actions/feelings/thoughts ahead of any social labels, when it comes to deciding how you want the world to see you. Why? Simply put, it’s healthier for your mind (you won’t be worrying about stupid shit like whether or not your feelings are the same as what your social label says you’re supposed to be feeling, etc.), and you’ll come across as more…I don’t know. A stronger person, mentally speaking. Content, at ease, and unflappable. People won’t fuck with you. Etc.

-Mazrim Taim

You’re 12. Worry about this when your gonads are developed enough for that to matter.

Don’t worry about what others think. Worry about what you think of yourself and why (a particular important time in your life) and don’t base yourself on what other people want you to be.

My bit of advise is to Ryoto try and ignore them, if you don’t want anything to do with them, but I still don’t see why you don’t want to at least talk to them, or something. Unless of coarse they were really horrible, but still that is no excuss for you to me mean to them.

Oh, those silly HS days. Folks, once you hit college, you’ll discover this wonderful phenomenon I like to call “the death of popularity”. All of a sudden, what people were like in HS doesn’t count for anything… you’ll find former “nerds” and “jocks” hanging out together. You’ll find that gaming and having a social life are not mutually exclusive.

But I guess if you want advice for the here-and-now, a conglomeration of Sin’s and SG’s advice would be my recommendation.

This feels like a good time to throw out one of those stupid, “Just be yourself and everything will be alright!” cliches.

Already covered that Val.