Pop-ups that don't pop-up?

I was wondering if the pop-ups that don’t pop-up (or under for the matter) and just sit on your taskbar are common for you guys. I seem to get them all the time, anyone else get them or even see a point in them? Usually all it’ll have is “-_-” as the title or something and it’ll be on my taskbar. Can’t maximize it either to even see what it is. Is it a bug or something, like them miscoding it or something? Shit these little buggers are annoying.

I get em all the time. They’re the worst!

What’s a popup? Can you eat it?

I just click on its button in the taskbar to place the ofcus on it, then hit ALT+F4. There, it’s gone.

I hate those things. They must die.

I want to destroy popups in general.

I do what Ren does, or right-click the tab and delete.

Originally posted by Yar Kramer
I want to destroy popups in general.

Yeah, what he said…only times a google.

They’re called pop-downs, and exist primarily to annoy people. Just alt+f4 them, or change to a browser with a popup blocker.

I hate those ones that don’t show up on your taskbar AT ALL, but come with a handy off-buton at the bottom. I always get paranoid they’re going to do something really nasty when I click it.

Usually when you get something like that, a program is trying to download itself onto your computer (Gator ALWAYS uses these). -_- Usually you can still say no, but sometimes it can get sneaky, especially for nonexpert computer users.

I have actually just heard of a popup I have yet to encounter… the world must be ending.

Only kind i’ve ever gotten are the kinds that a) pop right up in your face and b) comeup near the bottom of the screen so they’re really difficult to get rid of.

Originally posted by Reno
I have actually just heard of a popup I have yet to encounter… the world must be ending.

Nah, you’re just going to the wrong sites.

I’ve encounted all three types, and they are all very annoying. At least we don’t get them him. Or at least I don’t.

If only there was a way to destroy them forever, that would be really useful.

Wouldn’t mind using another browser, but I can’t use Opera or anythign liek taht. Ah well, maybe witht he next comp.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
(Gator ALWAYS uses these)

dat’s dere bunny. I accidentally go it once (I am never leaving ym PC alone when switched on AGAIN). I come back and Gator had installed. Bastard KaZaA, if it didn’t give me music, I’d hate it so much…

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Usually when you get something like that, a program is trying to download itself onto your computer (Gator ALWAYS uses these). -_- Usually you can still say no, but sometimes it can get sneaky, especially for nonexpert computer users.
Yes. If you’re using MSIE, just ask it to prompt you every time it tries to download “ActiveX controls,” and refuse in those cases.

Originally posted by StarStorm
Wouldn’t mind using another browser, but I can’t use Opera or anythign liek taht. Ah well, maybe witht he next comp.

Gives Spaz a copy of Knoppix, the Boot-From-CD-No-Install-Neccessary free OS

Also gives Spaz a copy of Win 98 SE :slight_smile:

And yeah people, go get a browser with a popup blocker. That is, anything except IE =P