Please sign my petition?

As some of you may know, I’ve been firmly against the canadian seal hunt ever since it started a couple months ago. I am unsure of when it ended (or if it has already) because the more information I discover, the less likely I am to act due to disgust. So, getting all of the information that I need to know, I have started my own petition against the seal hunt and am in the process of taking measures against it, with a paper petition which I want to circulate around my neighbourhood once my printer is fixed. I figure that starting an online petition would reach people all over the world whom may feel the same way that I do, and I’m hoping that some of you can help me…my goal is to get 1000 sigs before I send the petition away to government officials held responsible for the seal hunt. All I ask of you guys is to leave your name and email. Comments are optional, but greatly appreciated, especially if you state your home country (also optional). I would like to see some people sign it, and then with permission, sign their family member’s and friends names as well. And please guys, no silly shit on the petition because I don’t believe that I can edit it out…Charlemagne I’m looking at you. Just some names at least, is all I ask. Once I can get a host (must talk to Nulani) I am going to create a simple homebase for my petition and I’m going to think about other things I can do, alongside the petition.

So please, if you have a minute, please sign at http://www.petitiononline.com/sosnow/petition.html

Excuse the opening paragraphs, they were written in a hurry (since I was so eager to start the petition). Although they aren’t the most awe inspiring words, I hope that they do the job and inform you of what I hope to accomplish and how I feel. Thanks!

EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, IF YOU DECIDE TO SIGN, DO NOT PUT IN A SCREEN NAME. THANKS.

Call this cynical, but no online petitions will ever succeed. Firstly it’s too easy to ‘vote’ and as a result forged votes can easily be done compared to a real handwritten petition. Secondly people really only vote in these things to get a tiny sense of self satisfaction. Thirdly because it takes so little time and effort people are often willing to vote on things they don’t care about.

Having stated the negative, I’ll vote anyway. Why? I really don’t know, I guess I don’t want to believe the cynical part of me.

As much as I hate to be a downer, online petitions don’t work due to their insecurity. It’s absurdly easy for me or you to go and sign it 500 or 1000 times and sign them for other people without their consent, and it’s also easy to make 500 petitions and just flood whoever you are petitioning.

Your best bet is to get a paper petition going in your neighborhood, and make sure you check it out with your town council first, there are usually some offical papers you need to start a petition to keep signature fraud out. It would be a real bummer to get your 1000 signatures on papers you printed yourself and find out that you need offical forms.

I shall sign your petition, since I am also against the seal-hunt.

Call this cynical, but no online petitions will ever succeed. Firstly it’s too easy to ‘vote’ and as a result forged votes can easily be done compared to a real handwritten petition. Secondly people really only vote in these things to get a tiny sense of self satisfaction. Thirdly because it takes so little time and effort people are often willing to vote on things they don’t care about.

I don’t care. It’s more than what most people are doing- and if I have the signature of many people who “don’t care” then at least I have their names and my effort looks bigger than what it may be.

As much as I hate to be a downer, online petitions don’t work due to their insecurity. It’s absurdly easy for me or you to go and sign it 500 or 1000 times and sign them for other people without their consent, and it’s also easy to make 500 petitions and just flood whoever you are petitioning.

Same as above. I’m not going to flood anyway. I’m going to take the time to make this work because it’s the least I can do.

Your best bet is to get a paper petition going in your neighborhood, and make sure you check it out with your town council first, there are usually some offical papers you need to start a petition to keep signature fraud out. It would be a real bummer to get your 1000 signatures on papers you printed yourself and find out that you need offical forms.

I’ve stated that I’m going to do that. Thanks for the tip about getting official forms though, I wasn’t sure about that.

Thanks percy!

I never said or thought you would, but that won’t stop other people from it. There are people out there that troll petitiononline for fun who forge a bunch of signatures or just find random petitions and make offensive comments.

I guess I’ll have to take that chance then. I don’t understand why they wont let you delete comments.

Although we may not necessarily believe you’re going about your purpose in the best manner, we still support you.

It’s nice to have goals and dreams, ain’t it?

hides his blood covered <a style=‘text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;’ href=“http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=baseball%20bat” onmouseover=“window.status=‘baseball bat’; return true;” onmouseout=“window.status=’’; return true;”>baseball bat</a>

Uhh…what seal hunt…

Hey, the seal population has to be kept under control some how. Better they’re killed swiftly then they choke to death in fishing nets.

I personally believe every little bit helps even if it has a slim chance of doing anything. I’m against seal hunting to the core, so I’ll sign.

Done. I agree with everyone else on this but it doesn’t hurt to try, so what the heck.

Is this the same seal hunt where we club them with timbits?

Isn’t this kind of redundant since it’s the Canadian seal hunt and most of these putzes signing aren’t Canadian at all?

Canada needs to know that other countries view the seal hunt as unfavourable. Most of the anti-seal hunt groups that I’ve come across are all American.

Plus, I’d like to acknowledge the seals dying swiftly comment- getting clubbed in the head is not dying swiftly, nor is being skinned alive when nearly half of the animals are not unconsious because anesthetics are either not administered properly or not at all. Likewise, being dragged across the ice after being shot is not a swift death.

edit: I should also add in that I knew the pressure and frustration when wanting to take on this task guys. Being heard is the first step to making a difference.

Listen Evvy, I don’t mean to be a troll, but you should get some facts straight before you go off on some moral quest… and start an online petition.

Point #1: The two or three hundred thousand seals killed annually won’t put a dent in their overall population in the long run. There’ll be just as many next year. There IS credibility to the statement that they threaten cod stocks. The cod around Newfoundland has already been overfished by big companies and foriegn vessels, the seals make it much worse, taking their numbers down DOES make a difference.

Point #2: People go on and on about the cruelty done to these seals thanks to a few doctored images of seals crying, and a few selected shots done to amplify the emotion that they want people to feel when they see these images. Anti-seal hunt images are propoganda like anything else, and believe me, there’s a lot of people profiting in that business who don’t give a damn about the seals.

Point #3: Despite what the aforementioned images would have you believe, the seal hunt isn’t a big brutal killfest where there’s no care whatsoever taken and the seals are harvested just for the fur. Or oil. That was the old days. Now, anything that’s usable on the seal is used. In some European countries the seal meat is a delicacy, however thanks to big world powers who have no interests in seal hunting sticking their noses into the business because it’s good publicity (coughUScough) they’ve put a stop to it based on flimsy moral arguements. It’s not wasteful, no matter how much they like to say it is.

Point #4: For a lot of people, the Seal Hunt is a way of life, and a means of living. And for a lot of Seal Hunters, it isn’t so simple as just packing up and moving. It’s either hunt, or be poor. They’re just trying to make a living, they’re not barbarians.

Point #5: I assure you, what’s done to the Seals is far, FAR, less barbaric than what’s done to the average cow at a slaughterhouse. If you saw what happens in one of those things you’d lose your taste for beef in a hurry. It’s nothing but absolute hypocracy to be against the Seal Hunt, while eating a burger from McDonalds, or any other meat product, really. (and if you happen to be a vegetarian, Eva, then sorry. But there’s a lot of other animals killed for use in our day to day lives aside from just meat products, so the point still stands)

Sorry if my opinion is against what’s popular, but this whole Seal Hunt thing is just another slap in the face to Newfoundland’s economy as far as I’m concerned. Things have been bad enough here lately as it is, we certainly don’t need morality-spouting hotshots in the federal government shutting down yet another producer of revenue here just for the sake of politics. I’m not saying that people who don’t believe in the seal hunt are bad people or anything, they have a right to believe what they wish. But the seal hunters have a right to make a living, especially when the situation is so bad here that they really don’t have another option.

You think the Seal hunt should stop due to barbaric cruelty? Fine, but so should a lot of other things. But people don’t care about those. The beef industry is a tad too powerful to be brought down, which is why you don’t frequently see propoganda about helpless cows being slaughtered. Not to mention they’re not very attractive-looking. Seals, on the other hand, are cute and adorable. And they make great propaganda. Digitally insert a few tears (Seals DON’T have tear ducts) and you’re making the hunter who is just doing his job look like an unspeakable monster. People eat that stuff up.

Sorry to rant. I’ve just been annoyed with the whole situation over the past few months. That, and I took a class studying native people in the arctic, so perhaps I’ve gotten a bit too opinionated about stuff like this…

Point #1: The two or three hundred thousand seals killed annually won’t put a dent in their overall population in the long run. There’ll be just as many next year. There IS credibility to the statement that they threaten cod stocks. The cod around Newfoundland has already been overfished by big companies and foriegn vessels, the seals make it much worse, taking their numbers down DOES make a difference.

No, veterinarians and animal rights activists (yes biased…) have watched the population counts…they have decreased in the past few years after rising a little bit, but overall, they’re still low. How come we’re under 5 million seals when just a couple centuries ago we were over thirty million? 1 million every three years…? And when the target seals are days and weeks old? The pups aren’t even allowed to grow up! How is that sustaining a seal population?

Point #2: People go on and on about the cruelty done to these seals thanks to a few doctored images of seals crying, and a few selected shots done to amplify the emotion that they want people to feel when they see these images. Anti-seal hunt images are propoganda like anything else, and believe me, there’s a lot of people profiting in that business who don’t give a damn about the seals.

A few doctored images…? What about actual footage? Eye witnesses? Corpses? THat’s cruelty! It doesn’t matter if it’s done to one seal or one thousand, it’s not allowed! I don’t care about people profitting on either side- I know that there are people out there who actually care and pay attention and with their help seal hunts don’t have to be carried out the way they do.

Point #3: Despite what the aforementioned images would have you believe, the seal hunt isn’t a big brutal killfest where there’s no care whatsoever taken and the seals are harvested just for the fur. Or oil. That was the old days. Now, anything that’s usable on the seal is used. In some European countries the seal meat is a delicacy, however thanks to big world powers who have no interests in seal hunting sticking their noses into the business because it’s good publicity (coughUScough) they’ve put a stop to it based on flimsy moral arguements. It’s not wasteful, no matter how much they like to say it is.

my point was that too many seals are put to death, and too many of them have to suffer before an agonizing death. I know nothing about what their used for and how wasteful it is or isn’t. That’s not where I’m arguing from.

Point #4: For a lot of people, the Seal Hunt is a way of life, and a means of living. And for a lot of Seal Hunters, it isn’t so simple as just packing up and moving. It’s either hunt, or be poor. They’re just trying to make a living, they’re not barbarians.

And how many people actually need to rely on the skin of an animal to keep warm? Their oil? Their insides? I can understand if you live up north and you need animals to keep you alive. But do so many have to die to do so? It is my understanding that those who live off the land and Canada’s aboriginal people know not to abuse the resources (which is sadly not common thought). I refuse to accept that it’s seal hunting or die in this case.

Point #5: I assure you, what’s done to the Seals is far, FAR, less barbaric than what’s done to the average cow at a slaughterhouse. If you saw what happens in one of those things you’d lose your taste for beef in a hurry. It’s nothing but absolute hypocracy to be against the Seal Hunt, while eating a burger from McDonalds, or any other meat product, really. (and if you happen to be a vegetarian, Eva, then sorry. But there’s a lot of other animals killed for use in our day to day lives aside from just meat products, so the point still stands)

I have become aware of that and have been making changes in my life to accomodate what I have been exposed to.

But the seal hunters have a right to make a living, especially when the situation is so bad here that they really don’t have another option

I don’t believe that so many seals have to die in such painful ways, for Newfoundland hunters to make a living.

You think the Seal hunt should stop due to barbaric cruelty? Fine, but so should a lot of other things. But people don’t care about those. The beef industry is a tad too powerful to be brought down, which is why you don’t frequently see propoganda about helpless cows being slaughtered. Not to mention they’re not very attractive-looking. Seals, on the other hand, are cute and adorable. And they make great propaganda. Digitally insert a few tears (Seals DON’T have tear ducts) and you’re making the hunter who is just doing his job look like an unspeakable monster. People at that stuff up.

Yes and that’s horrible that people ignore dogs and cats dying in Korea or alligators being hunted for their hide, but I’m not someone who chooses to dismiss every other horror going on in the world. I have to start somewhere and I am starting with something that struck a personal chord in me. I understand what you’re saying- people only want to help out when it’s convenient. Sad? Yes. But I’m not one of those people and if I have to play off those feelings and take what “support” I can get to be heard, so be it.

I’ll sign.

EYe witnesses are almost always biased and always exaggerate. It’s far more humane then we’re led to believe. Oh and seals can’t cry so thats a pretty big flag showing that the people behind said images are full of shit.

I can’t say I fully support your “online-petition” endeavour outlined in this particular thread because it doesn’t seem to be very intelligently thought out, but you’ve got spirit!

1. <b>Do</b> do that research, don’t neglect it because it will make you feel more disgusted or whatever.
  2. Online petitions, especially petitionsonline.com, don’t matter one bit in credibility. What I’m trying to say is (in a nice way :P) that you’re really wasting your time in the worst way possible by devoting <i>any</i> time to an online petition.
  3. Do this methodically if you want any results… send some stuff to local newspapers, get the word out, and don’t do a rush job like for the online petition (which thankfully doesn’t matter :P). A professional job can’t hurt, right?

Let’s save the seals yo.