PLAYSTATION 3: Should Charlemagne purchase one?

I’m not sure how well the PS3 will bounce back because ironically, the 360 is the leader with RPGs as of now. The 360’s exclusives, 2 years in, are still superior to the PS3’s. Had Sony kept FFXIII, DMC4, Assassin’s Creed and GTAIV, to name a few, it would’ve been in a much better position. The loss of all these exclusives cost them DEARLY. I just read an article that discussed how the PS3’s losses ate up all the profits from the past 5 years of the PS2, which is nothing short of spectacular. Things will get worse for Sony before they get better.

I agree with SG, I don’t think the machine is doomed though, because as it stands it is a Blu Ray player and I think that is the only reason at this point I want to purchase a PS3 (which I will when it hits 300 dollars). I don’t think it will necessarily win; I think we’ll need to wait and see how things fall together. I don’t expect a repeat of the PS1 / PS2 era.

When was GTA4 ever an exclusive? I seem to remember anticipating it for 360 (and not just rumors) for like ever.

The series was exclusive to Sony until MS announced GTAIV was coming to the 360 in 2006 at E3. It boiled down to Sony not wanting to pay for the exclusivity.

If anyone remembers, in 2007, Rockstar said that technical “challenges” on the PS3 specifically had prevented them from releasing the product.

I wouldn’t say resistance sucked, but it did waste a lot of its potential. Like it is fun for a little while here and there and the premise is nice, but then it wastes it. Like the whole idea of WWII not happening and an alien invasion happening instead is a nice idea, but then the story goes too Sci-Fi and ruins it, not to mention it doesn’t have the time period look or equipment. When I heard of it I was expecting a Call of Duty game with some similar elements to Halo, but instead it tired to be too much like Halo and failed. However, it is still fun every now and then, it is just isn’t a great game and no where near being a system seller. It is just something that is worth picking up if you already have the system.

I believe that Resistance was also a launch title and those usually suck anyways. That said I also forgot that PS3 still has exclusive rights to FF XIII VS (again for now?).

And going back onto the subject of ‘should Charle get a PS3 for SC4 or not?’ The only thing I can think of that the PS3 has going for it is it’s lack of RRoD trouble (although if the upcoming Jasper SKU does away with that as the rumors suggest it will then just wait for that instead).

And though I couldn’t find a video comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions of SC4 (that was high quality enough to tell the difference at least) I did find this helpful (yet maybe slightly inappropriate, though, I can’t tell without working speakers) educational video of why one should get the game to begin with.

Edit: Now with sound I can in fact tell that the music is indeed inappropriate for the video (but in the Youtube way instead of a dirty way). Everything else is a-ok.

The RROD is a bit of a non issue ever since MS took a 1 billion dollar cut to restore confidence in people, and as you mentioned, they’re addressing it.

Up to now, I don’t think any game has shown any difference in terms of graphics between the PS3 and 360 versions of the games. I would also be very surprised if XIII remained an exclusive to the PS3. Its all based on the same technology.

If I’m remembering right, the main differences between 360 and PS3 games that are multiplatform are minor at best. That being loading times, small graphical differences (jaggies), and so on. GTAIV practically shows very minor differences at best.

As for the future of the PS3…it might take a few years before it starts being really good. One thing to keep in mind is that developers haven’t had a long enough time to fully utilize its potential. The best example of this being older systems like SNES and PS2. Compare the games from their launch to later on and there’s huge differences (pretty obvious, but I’m putting it out there). So that’ll take several years at least (or might not…you never know) before there’s games taking full advantage of the PS3’s hardware.

The bigger question for me is just how well will the 360 do before the PS3 catches up? (If it can at all.)

I agree with your post. I think another question is, how much will it cost sony? Though honestly, I think that question is not so relevant because it won them the HD DVD / Blu Ray battle.

If you buy a PS3, I’ll eat your face.